Tot Blocking All Torrent Traffic

geoffphuket

Something's going on with 3BB as well. I like to listen to konastream.com (KONA radio on ITunes 70's Retro) and its been great until the last two weeks. It's only a 64 kbps stream but it cuts out every few minutes now. Makes it impossible to listen to.

What throttling does is constantly drop peer to seed or seed to peer connections. It can also disrupt any longer term outside connection originating outside Thailand that it suspects is engaging in file transferring.

This is why even online gaming is being effected.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Here we are :ermm:

I just called TOT.

I ask the guy: Why are you slowing down the torrents? Please don't check my router because it's working perfect and the internet is perfect but torrents are slow.

The guy: This is a new policy of TOT. We are slowing down especially bit torrent bla bla bla.

Me: Will you continue implementing your new policy forever and ever?

The Guy: I am not sure but we may have some good news for bittorrent users soon.

Me: Could I know when the good news might happen?

The Guy: I am sorry but I am not sure.

Me: Thank you. I will wait for 1 more month and if you still use your new policy I will have to break the contract because this service is not what I signed the contract for.

The Guy: I am sorry sir.

Me: Thank you for your explanation.

The Guy: Thank you for your understanding Sir.

Me for myself: I didn't say I understand this situation but I am thankful that somebody finally explained and said that the problem exists so :jap:

Guys that's it.I am going to wait one more month and meanwhile I will be checking 3BB service. If the problem still exists and 3BB is Ok I'm gonna break the contract, move to another place where I can have 3BB internet connection because 3BB can't reach me here. Sad but true.:ph34r:

Edited by WebGuy

I just called TOT.

I ask the guy: Why are you slowing down the torrents? Please don't check my router because it's working perfect and the internet is perfect but torrents are slow.

The guy: This is a new policy of TOT. We are slowing down especially bit torrent bla bla bla.

The Guy: I am not sure but we may have some good news for bittorrent users soon.

Me: Thank you. I will wait for 1 more month and if you still use your new policy I will have to break the contract because this service is not what I signed the contract for.

Me for myself: I didn't say I understand this situation but I am thankful that somebody finally explained and said that the problem exists so :jap:

Guys that's it.I am going to wait one more month and meanwhile I will be checking 3BB service. If the problem still exists and 3BB is Ok I'm gonna break the contract, move to another place where I can have 3BB internet connection because 3BB can't reach me here. Sad but true.:ph34r:

Hey ,you should check the comments a few above yours about bypassing this problem ,just found something on google and will see if it works / type in 'bypassing the bast$%s at TOT ' ,(or similar)

not sure if not being able to download torrents would make me move house though:blink:

I just called TOT.

Hey ,you should check the comments a few above yours about bypassing this problem ,just found something on google and will see if it works / type in 'bypassing the bast$%s at TOT ' ,(or similar)

not sure if not being able to download torrents would make me move house though:blink:

I'm not bothered about the torrents... It's the online gaming that is frustrating me right now... can't even get a connection unless I switch to open DNs

It seems there is an online "complaint service" that I never ran across before. It has pictures of smiling operators waiting to answer your messages, so I'm sure that's OK. :rolleyes:

Although the links that got me there were all in English, the complaint service seems to be only available in Thai. Maybe filling in the form and sending it off will relieve some of the stress everyone is feeling. :annoyed:

http://complain.tot.co.th/

Moments later ....

Well, I apologize. I filled in the online repair service form and sent it. Got a call from TOT within less than 1 minute !!!!

She had me run the TOT speed test 0.30/0.37 Mbps :realangry: and then she said they would do something.

Will wonders never cease? Will have to see if anything actually happens, but I still amazed someone called me back.

Edited by Suradit

Ok, i can confirm that different torrent clients WORK, i am downloading again at 600+ kbyte/s .....

Google for "utorrent alternatives" and do a little research...

When you configure your new torrent client make sure to select "ENCRYPT ENTIRE STREAM"....

Oh, and TOT is reading this forum... a helpdesk employee quotet from this website already and told me he was reading it...

P.S. My speed just went over 700 Kbyte/sec :D

One question.  Those with great internet connections, moaning about their torrents being cut to 100 - 200 kbps.  Does it really make a difference at the end of the day?  I managed until recently on a 256kbps adsl connection, with torrents downloading at 10 to 20kbps.   That gave me a couple of hours UK tv to watch every night, plus  a buffer of many movies, & series I just don't have time to watch.  The only complaint was it was impossible to download current sports, a footie match would take me 2 days, & no watching the news etc for spoilers.  Just wondering what the heck people are downloading.  Didn't come to Thailand to watch tv all day.  

Well, i'm only downloading HD rips, so the average movie is around 8 Gbyte in size... downloading a single movie at 15k/s average would take uhm.... roughly 148 hours which is roughly 6 days.....

If you only download a tv show rip that is 175 Mbit in size, i can understand that you're satisfied with 256kbit, but i didn't apply for 8Mbit to have 15kbyte download speeds.....

Was getting 2kB/s like everyone else on TOT, yesterday went back to normal 100kB/s+ for a while with protocol encryption enabled on Bittorrent. Today back to 20kB/s.

But using Tor gives me around 80-100kB/s right now. Seems the simplest fix for a half decent download speed.

Amazed this thread is still running. Thanks again guys for all the input. I wonder if the recent problems had anything to do with TOT introducing a new 6MB package to replace the 4....Hmmmm

I don't think so Geoff. I was already on 8 down, 1 up when I started having the problem a week or so ago.

Now it appears back to normal. Can't say for absolute certainty. General browsing still dies completely at certain times of day - like around 11 am and 5 pm.

Sometimes I find that my Vuze is downloading very slowly, so I stop and restart all torrents. Often they start coming down much faster. So I'm thinking that maybe TOT is using traffic shaping - when I turn off the torrents, the shaping program stops what it's doing to me and when I start them again, it takes the shaping program quite a time to decide to shape me again. Just a thought. No proof.

I'm now looking into how I can automatically and regularly stop and start my torrents, say every couple of hours.

My torrents work at night up 500kbs download,on my 6 mb line,in the day 20kbs an just generall searching if utorrents turned on is painfully slow.

Gaming is just a waste of time,just cuts out all the time,

TOT operaters on 11oo have been very helpfull and polite,they admitted to me they are throttling torrents,

going to go check out TRUE at big c later ,if the situation is not sorteds in 3 weeks ,then i will not be paying for a service that is no use to me.

Its a shame really because i have had no problems at all with tot.

Well, I apologize. I filled in the online repair service form and sent it. Got a call from TOT within less than 1 minute !!!!

She had me run the TOT speed test 0.30/0.37 Mbps :realangry: and then she said they would do something.

Will wonders never cease? Will have to see if anything actually happens, but I'm still amazed someone called me back.

So TOT called this morning to see how my connection was. Then the TOT speed test showed 0.20/0.18 Mbps . She said they would send someone. Since then I checked and the TOT speed test now shows 0.04/0.02 Mbps .

I guess we're making progress if you disregard the direction we seem to be heading.

Edited by Suradit

On the beginning Thailand looked like very exciting place but everything has its own limit.

After 2 years I got extremely bored because wherever you go everything looks same.

So, I found out that I could download bunch of series. One season is approx. 12 episodes.

Before sleeping I watch one, two or 3 episodes every day.

However, Gollumscave is right. I don't pay for my 4 Mbt package for skype, facebook and reading online news :blink:

My torrent speed is getting better now. Around 100K today on TOT.

Something I noticed that one of the more tech savvy members might find of interest is that TOT have been changing IP addresses. My IP was always 125.xxxxxxx I noticed that when torrents were crawling it was 180.xxxxxx, today it is back to 125.xxxxxx

Does this mean they have some people on TOT connections that are throttling torrents and some on unthrottled TOT connections?

I'm now looking into how I can automatically and regularly stop and start my torrents, say every couple of hours.

Jetset, you can do that by enabling the scheduler. uTorrent has that option, i'm not sure of other clients. You can slow down your torrents or completely stop that at any given time...

Jetset, you can do that by enabling the scheduler. uTorrent has that option, i'm not sure of other clients. You can slow down your torrents or completely stop that at any given time...

Problem then is you have to wait for peers and seeders to connect again.....and by the time that happens they've packet shaped you again.

Same as others have mentioned, I'm getting a combined total of around 100k download during the day, which is about 4 times slower than I used to get - AND STILL PAY FOR :annoyed:

Problem then is you have to wait for peers and seeders to connect again.....and by the time that happens they've packet shaped you again.

Same as others have mentioned, I'm getting a combined total of around 100k download during the day, which is about 4 times slower than I used to get - AND STILL PAY FOR :annoyed:

ok, here's the magic word......

deluge

google it....

Given that TOT is widely acknowledged as one of the worst ISPs anyway, why not jump ship?

Because Buddy is known to have to worst international speeds, and True is also blocking torrent traffic....

Oh, my main reason is true internet simply isn't available here....

I download my torrents to a windows server which I keep in a datacenter (using vnc to control it) then I either ftp the files to my computer or if I want to get them really quick I enable the ftp directory as a website and use Internet Download Manager to make a quick multi connection download which really speeds things up. Can this be done with ftp I wonder ?

A multi GB torrent downloads pretty quick when the pc's in a datacenter and sitting on a 1Gbps full duplex connection.

This type of traffic can't be blocked as it is normal web traffic.

At current download speed I will waiting another 18 days for it to complete. I plan to make a courtesy call to TOT office & see if I can get any sense out of them. make that 45 days.

What are you trying to download Valentine? (I may have it)

I'll have a look if there's a scheduling feature in Vuze.

I was thinking about changing to uTorrent. Although I've always been with Azureus/Vuze, I have noticed that my peers, which used to be typically 50% uTorrent and 40% Vuze, are now much more heavily biased towards uTorrent.

Geoff, I have a program that resets my modem when I cannot get to the Internet. My torrents usually get back to full steam within about 10 minutes, which is well worth it compared to zero if/when the modem craps out!

I will do some tests when I think shaping is occurring and stop/start the client and record the results.

That may well be a good option, file swapping from hard drive to hard drive, I'm sure there are people who have the full series of The Sopranos who would let another person download it direct in exchange for The full series of The Wire for example.

I have both already, it's just an example.

It would be nice to have a group of like minded people who shared their already downloaded files direct, disc to disc, meet up with laptops and external hard drives and share and swap away.

smile.gif

• Like 1

That may well be a good option, file swapping from hard drive to hard drive, I'm sure there are people who have the full series of The Sopranos who would let another person download it direct in exchange for The full series of The Wire for example.

It would be nice to have a group of like minded people who shared their already downloaded files direct, disc to disc, meet up with laptops and external hard drives and share and swap away.

smile.gif

In case this idea evolves into something, count me in please!

I download my torrents to a windows server which I keep in a datacenter (using vnc to control it) then I either ftp the files to my computer or if I want to get them really quick I enable the ftp directory as a website and use Internet Download Manager to make a quick multi connection download which really speeds things up. Can this be done with ftp I wonder ?

A multi-part transfer with Cute FTP Pro will melt your connection. Filezilla also does multi-thread but does not seem anywhere near as effective to CFTP's multi-part transfers.

smile.gif

In case this idea evolves into something, count me in please!

I'm in Pattaya and would be willing to exchange.

A multi-part transfer with Cute FTP Pro will melt your connection. Filezilla also does multi-thread but does not seem anywhere near as effective to CFTP's multi-part transfers.

This all sounds very impressive.....Just wish I understood it :lol:

ok, here's the magic word......

deluge

google it....

But Deluge is just another torrent client, hows that going to help?