Thaivisa To Issue Thailand Expat Gold Card

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Term life insurance that pays a comparable rate to what an American policy would. I've checked and so far the amount of coverage I could get in the US would pay 5-10 times what a Thai company would offer and for less per month payment for this coverage.

Sign me up!!!! Keep us posted on this. Khob khun maak. It put a smile on my

Thai wife's face sitting here in the hospital. She just had a brain-bypass that

was successful, so she is busy planning our next visit and future move to the

LOS.

It's a nice sounding idea.

To be realistic the real advantage of owning such a card is the cache of carrying it in your wallet. Many of the goods and services are already offered by various companies and websites around the internet or in Thailand.

Also the amopunt of 'services' offered might seem overwhelming at first.

If the card carries a 'Visa Electron' emblem then the application process will be quite strict and the bank will have to insure and underwrite the peripheral services that you intend to offer.

I would focus on a few main features that would inspire people to shell out an annual membership fee - for example discounted health insurance.

Of course you will attract the 'party faithful' who will sign up whatever you do and that's fine, but for a broader appeal to casual forum posters and site visitors you'll have to offer a lot more than simply an email account or discount golf.

In fact this card sounds just like the "Thai Elite Card" and you should try to distance yourselves as much as possible from that fiasco.

Also - and I'm sorry to sound so negative about this, but my experience in this area permits me a certain amount of license to be so - if you are offering goods and services that come as part and parcel of membership to the card then you are accountable to your members for all of them and that means answering questions when things go wrong.

'Outsourcing to professionals' sounds like an easy way out, but as the Elite Card fiasco soon proved - the buck stops with the name on the door.

Finally - I have read some enthusiastic comments, but as a businessman myself I would largely ignore what people say at this stage of development. The stark truth is that if you offered free bungee-jumping in Chiang Rai, everyone would say what a great idea it was, but no-one would actually bother to show up to take advantage of it.

As I said at the beginning - at first your members will sign up simply to have it in their wallet! I would concentrate on that aspect of it's attractiveness. The vanity appeal!

Rollo Tomasi

Edited by rollo tomasi

This sounds like a great idea and I do hope it comes into being. Unlike so many silly things suggested in Thailand by Thais, this is farang program so it may actually come into being! Don't forget that a lot of expats live in Pattaya, not only Bangkok. I regularly take the bus from Pattaya to BKK, but occasionally take a taxi directly to the airport for 800 baht. Perhaps a deal could be struck with the 'Red & Blue' colored taxi's for a discount for this service? By the way, from the airport to Pattaya it is usually about 1,200 baht.....ALSO, I highly agree about getting some mobile phone deal going since so much of what is currently available is just promoted in Thai, not English. Perhaps they don't understand how much money is available to a smart company that actually uses understandable English and targets farangs for their promotions!

One central question: In which currency would such a card be denominated?

Thai Baht, US Dolllar or other. The answer to that would indicated the kind of interest rates the card charges.

As to the card's product features, one of the best things to add from both a consumer enduser viewpoint and from the card issuer's interest is some kind of marketing fullfillment program.

They are very "win-win."

Historically, some of the best programs to use are a major airlines frequent flyer plan. That is, everytime the card user spends (except cash withdrawals), he gains points which can be "redeemed" for flights, holiday packages, hotel and car rental discounts, etc.

Typically consumers "consolidate" purchases on this type of card - purchases that they may not have previously made with a credit card. I'm talking about essential day to day purchases like groceries. (I even used to pay my kids' school tuition on this type of credit card.)

The logic is simple: the consumer has to make these kinds of purchases - unlike discretionary "luxury" purchases like vactions and resorts many associate with credit cards - and they will very gladly do so on a card as long as they don't get hit with an extra commission (admittedly still a bit of a program with some retailers here) and if there earning some kind of points that can be later redeemed.

Everytime a card is used, a commission is generated for the card issuer. For the card company, their competition is not just other credit card products. It's also cash. And getting the consumer to use your card for every possible purchase brings in big bucks.

At least that's what happened in my case. As a former marketeer for a bank in the middle east, I repackaged their credit cards to tie in with Emirates Airlines FF program. Card usage from existing customers soared over 85% in less than six months. And our customers were very happy as they were now earning free flights. And our bottom line was getting fatter as they're usage increased.

Don't forget that a lot of expats live in Pattaya, not only Bangkok. I regularly take the bus from Pattaya to BKK, but occasionally take a taxi directly to the airport for 800 baht. Perhaps a deal could be struck with the 'Red & Blue' colored taxi's for a discount for this service? By the way, from the airport to Pattaya it is usually about 1,200 baht.

ALSO, I highly agree about getting some mobile phone deal going since so much of what is currently available is just promoted in Thai, not English. Perhaps they don't understand how much money is available to a smart company that actually uses understandable English and targets farangs for their promotions!

The above post illustrates exactly what I am talking about when I say that no matter what services you offer - they will not really be used (other than to sell the card in the first place!)

If anyone seriously thinks that an 'arrangement' can be made with the Thai taxi companies to provide a discount on an 800 Baht trip from Pattaya to Bangkok airport then I'm afraid you're in for a shock. Drivers won't drive for less for three reasons...

1 - Because if you go to the trouble of using the card for a 50 Baht discount then the driver knows he won't get a tip!

2 - Expats usually won't want to go to the airport and will therefore deprive the taxi driver of that vaulable "in" at the airport taxi line.

3 - The driver scam of "I bought this trip from my mate for 200 Baht and your gonna have to pay extra" won't work either!

The card labels you as a 'Cheap Charlie!'

A deal with mobile phones? My phone costs 1 Baht a minute for the 20 people I most call and 1 Baht a minute for internet access and email. SMSs are dirt cheap and who is going to SMS directly to a forum that they are not sitting infront of? These services and many like them are already being offered by the big name carriers.

Eventually it becomes a farce. Discount golf when the course is empty and full fare players are in bed asleep! Pick ups at the airport which hotels already provide faster and more efficiently.

Finally - don't assume that many of your members don't already have some of these features as p[art of their existing credit card agreements. I carry an Amex gold card which has all these features anyway and I can honestly say that I don't use any of them!

No - keep it simple. Tie the deal in with a good health insurance policy and promote the "Look what I've got" appeal.

(A whole lot less headaches too!) :o

I'm interested. I'm retired (I have a monthly pension) and living in Thailand on a Tourist visa. I am only 39 years old.

I have been here now for over a year. The only time I leave is when I go except when I go to Laos or Cambodia to get my new Tourist visa every 90 days or to get my 60 day stamp at the border.

I would want our Thai Gold card to have a number we can call when we have Visa (as in immagration) problems.

Also, problems one might encounter when getting a drivers license, buying land, builing a house, or anything a true x-pat might encounter while living here in Thailand during the year.

Most of the major problems one encounters while living in Thailand should be part of the service.....if possible.

Anyway, I think its a good idea and like most ideas, it will take time to work the bugs out. Good luck with your idea. java script:emoticon(':P')

:o

I would want our Thai Gold card to have a number we can call when we have Visa (as in immagration) problems.

Now we are really stretching things! What do you imagine that a bank issued membership card to a message board will be able to do for you that your embassy can't? What kind of 'immagration' problems might you face?

Problems aquiring a drivers license? What are you on about? Just go there with your work permit and passport and a photo. Take a test and your done! No work permit? Sorry - no license. That's the law and no-one can help you circumvent the law - not even the mighty Thai Visa operation!

Also - if you are living here on a tourist visa then you won't be buying land or a house anytime soon!

Sorry to sound so negative - but some of these posts are hoping for impossibly unrealistic expectations that no amount of the best and most expense legal help can provide you with let alone a bank card!

rollo

Finally - don't assume that many of your members don't already have some of these features as p[art of their existing credit card agreements. I carry an Amex gold card which has all these features anyway and I can honestly say that I don't use any of them!

No - keep it simple. Tie the deal in with a good health insurance policy and promote the "Look what I've got" appeal.

(A whole lot less headaches too!)   :D

I tend to agree with Khun Rollo... I too have an AMEX gold card, and hardly ever use any of the features.

I would however, like a VISA card, for those times when a surcharge would be applied if you were to use AMEX.

Count me in George... good idea! :o

/Edit: And for the record jaapfries, English is not George's native language... I have personally met him and he can speak fluently in at least 3 languages including Thai. He does make the occasional mistake though, so please do not assume that because of a simple grammatical mistake that George is anything but professional... I can assure you... he is.

Edited by Jai Dee

what about membership fees? with most credit cards now they cancel their yearly membership fees and offer an array of discounts and goodies ...

a thai visa gold card has to be ahead of most of such products ... thats not easy to finance, so be aware what you offer!

Sign me up!!!! Keep us posted on this. Khob khun maak. It put a smile on my

Thai wife's face sitting here in the hospital. She just had a brain-bypass that

was successful, so she is busy planning our next visit and future move to the

LOS.

:o:D

You don't have to have a brain-bypass to live here, but it helps!

I think the gold card idea is great, if it can get around the major issues that I have with money in Thailand (other than not having enough of it!)

- Charge in baht, with monthly settlement in whatever currency through a direct debit to a bank anywhere in the world (at a decent exchange rate)

- No transaction charge (my bank in the UK now charges 2.75% PLUS 1 pound for every transaction - one shade of grey away from criminal), just some percentage, but less than 2.75%!

- Thai airways miles would be great

- No need to have a dam*ed work permit to get the card (otherwise Citibank would be reasonable)

Some other benefits that I would like to see:

- Medical discounts at Bumrungrad and others

- Lounge access at Thai airports

- Wireless Internet access (as many WiFi hotspot suppliers as you can sign up)

- Skype number in Thailand (through partnership with Skype, they pay 10% commission on fee, so you could split the difference with members) and in other major countries (i.e. 2 numbers).

You could even package the last 2 with a PDA at a reasonable cost and solve all of the Expat phone problems. People could contact you on a local number wherever you are.

I already use it but there are no Thai numbers available so it only helps people contacting me from the UK (they dial a London number and I answer it on my PC or PDA in thailand). If I had access to all the WiFi hotspots in Thailand then it would be a reasonable replacement for a mobile phone.

Now we are really stretching things! What do you imagine that a bank issued membership card to a message board will be able to do for you that your embassy can't? What kind of 'immagration' problems might you face?

Problems aquiring a drivers license? What are you on about? Just go there with your work permit and passport and a photo. Take a test and your done! No work permit? Sorry - no license. That's the law and no-one can help you circumvent the law - not even the mighty Thai Visa operation!

Also - if you are living here on a tourist visa then you won't be buying land or a house anytime soon!

Sorry to sound so negative - but some of these posts are hoping for impossibly unrealistic expectations that no amount of the best and most expense legal help can provide you with let alone a bank card!

rollo

I agree that it is stretching things and it's not going to happen, but...

If an appropriate degree of 'profit sharing' was set up with an appropriately highly placed official in the Thai government, I would not be so sure that it was unrealistic.

The amounts of money and general bad taste of it all would be the main 'barrier to entry', but this is Thailand...anything's possible if you sink low enough!

:D:o

- Charge in baht, with monthly settlement in whatever currency through a direct debit to a bank anywhere in the world (at a decent exchange rate)

- No transaction charge

If you can provide this then you will get my business

I am not interested in any other discounts

Definitely a very good initiative, worthy of serious consideration.

I have been living in the outskirts of Bangkok for the past 14

years and have religiously reported to Immigration every 90

days.

On the verge of moving to Saraburi province I will in future have

to make the trip to Bangkok and I was wondering if Thaivisa Card

members who live in the provinces could request assistance from

the "card" in fulfilling this obligation.

One could send passport and 90 day report form by EMS with,

say, a 100 baht note to defray expenses. The "card" could then take

care of the registration and return the passport with the issued

slip to the owner by EMS again.

Just a thought,

bahtbox

Dear Valued Thaivisa Members,

Thaivisa is in the first stages of designing a special Thailand Expat Gold Card. Your input is requested as this card/program will offer as many features possible for you (membership cost is to be determined). This is not an attempt to duplicate the Thailand Elite Card, we want it designed by the Expats for the Expats of Thailand.

Here are some features, members please add to the list, feedback and comments appreciated.

1. SMS messaging worldwide from the forum

2. SMS Thailand News Alerts option (breaking news)

3. 1000 MB [email protected] email account  POP3 and WebMail

4. Private access to Card member information website, newsletters and forum

5. Travel and Airline discounts (THAI Airways, Bangkok Airways etc); Royal Orchid Mileage Plus

6. Restaurant Discounts

7. Hotel Discounts (Special Member World-Wide Hotel Booking Online)

8. Real Estate Sources

9. Visa & Business Consultations (Sunbelt Asia)

10. 24/7 Emergency Law service hotline (Sunbelt Asia Attorney)

11. Business/Work Permit/Startup Packages (Sunbelt Asia Attorney)

12. Health Care/Dental/Insurance Discounts, VIP service (BUPA, AIA)

13. Golf/Fitness Discounts

14. Bank/ATM/Commerce Services (2nd edition)

15. Car/pickup/motocycle rental discounts <added>

16. Internet access (Dial up/ADSL/Satellite) <added>

17. Discounted mobile/telephone call packages <added>

18. Sports activities, bowling etc. <added>

19. Currency exchange services, bank services <added>

20. Preferential rates with Indo-siam.com, SunbeltAsia.com <added>

...  And much more... Please post your ideas!

Thailand Expat Card sample:

card3.jpg

Mentioned sponsors and partners are still under negotiations. The first edition card released may not be Visa or VISA Electron associated. We reserve the rights to change card functionality, design etc.

GREAT IDEA,

SHOULD BE (PROBABLY FOR STARTER, VISA ELECTRON DEBIT CARD) IN CONNECTION WITH ONE OF THE OFFSHORE BANKS BASED IN BANGKOK, LIKE FOR EXAMPLE, SINGAPORE BRANCH OF BANGKOK BANK BASED IN BANGKOK (OFFSHORE BANK) OR HONG KONG BRANCH OF HSBC BASED IN BANGKOK (OFFSHORE BANK). THIS WAY YOU CAN KEEP YOUR FEW BUCKS IN US$ OR EURO OR ETC.

AND ABSOLUTELLY IN NO CONNECTION WITH WORKING PERMIT, MOST OF THE EXPATS ARE HERE ON "TOURIST VISA" AND BELIEVE ME, THEY HAVE FEW EXTRA BUCKS.

AND WHILE I'M ON LINE...I HAVE 1983 FORD PINTO FOR SALE.....JUST JOKING !

The idea has merit. I agree with the comments about no work permit. I have tried in vain to get a visa debit which is what we prefer to use versus a credit card. I spoke with Bank of Asia and it was simply no work permit no card. I have a visa electron but it doesn't work for online purchases which is a major priority. We have offshore accounts which Singapore says if you are not a resident no visa debit. Many of the discount ideas are not really practical looking at the price of the items. Discount taxi fares...they were just striking at the airport because of fuel prices versus fare prices. I do think you could do some work with the mobile phones and letting english speakers in on promotions. Keep the ideas flowing!

If this helps get around the Bull**** involved in getting a Visa card in Thailand then count me in.

Difficult to believe that the good folks here at TV have found a way around the BS firewall (I would have thought that in order to co-brand a credit card, one would have to have a company that has been in business for a long time with substantital yearly revenue), but good luck to them!

:o

Edited by Heng