Thaivisa To Issue Thailand Expat Gold Card

From what I can tell George is the one spearheading this card and he hasn't posted since the 18th of July.  After all the initial flurry I wonder if this thing has already been scrapped.  Anyone know?

From what I gather the reason for this topic was to find out what people would want from the service...

Now they have the information they can get on with working out the finer details and I would imagine this takes time.

Surely you can understand that...?

I'm sure once it has all been worked out, people will be informed.

totster :o

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can tell George is the one spearheading this card and he hasn't posted since the 18th of July.  After all the initial flurry I wonder if this thing has already been scrapped.  Anyone know?

From what I gather the reason for this topic was to find out what people would want from the service...

Now they have the information they can get on with working out the finer details and I would imagine this takes time.

Surely you can understand that...?

I'm sure once it has all been worked out, people will be informed.

totster :o

Totster is correct, we want as many benefits for members as possible. More information will be posted in the future once details are finalized.

Thank you all thaivisa members that have contributed comments and ideas within this topic.

It certainly sounds as if there is enough stuff on it to make one want to go to the hassle of changing from the cards we have now to a new one, but equally, it may be more hassle than useful if it isn't outsourced professionally. Good luck with it, it's certainly a good idea in theory. :o

Many expats require either courier and/or freight services at some time or another. Not an easy matter to sort out effiently. :D

Assistance and discounts when moving household goods or purchases around the country or overseas would be a worthy addition. :o

Edited by Eureka

Many expats require either courier and/or freight services at some time or another.  Not an easy matter to sort out effiently.  :D 

Assistance and discounts when moving household goods or purchases around the country or overseas would be a worthy addition.  :o

I would like to suggest a free years supply of beer, cigarettes and smoke for everyone who signs up...!!!

Come on people, let's keep this real!

Freight services...??? Are you serious?

Many expats require either courier and/or freight services at some time or another.  Not an easy matter to sort out effiently.   :D 

Assistance and discounts when moving household goods or purchases around the country or overseas would be a worthy addition.   :o

I would like to suggest a free years supply of beer, cigarettes and smoke for everyone who signs up...!!!

Backpack........ Sit and allow the smoke haze to clear for a moment.

Now imagine the type of client this card is targeted to. It has already been pointed out that it is not for tourists but rather expats. Expats have different needs.

I understand that a credit card cannot provide freight services but you only have to look to other cards outside Thailand to comprehend the vast list of services that the card companies attach to their cards. With one of my cards I can even get a free car wash. These card providers provide a booklet with a list of companies who offer preferential services to the card holder. Simple business economics as it is a valuable marketing aid.

Maybe you could provide a distinction between two previous suggestions 1. Internet Access 2. Car & Motorbike pickup service and the Courier/Freight assistance. Is it just your preference for email over snail mail or do I need to put some wheels on the parcel.

Many expats require either courier and/or freight services at some time or another.  Not an easy matter to sort out effiently.   :D 

Assistance and discounts when moving household goods or purchases around the country or overseas would be a worthy addition.   :D

Free upgrades on all Star Alliance flights too :D and no annual fee :o

I started reading from page 1, then around page 12 my attention weakened, then on page 17 I finally found what I wanted to see:

Not a credit card. It's a debit card, also called prepaid Visa card or value stored card. You pre-load it - then you can spend it. No money - no shopping.

No credit check-ups, no credit reporting as it's not a credit card.

That's all I need, plus one more thing: if it can be linked to a Thai bank account for automatic or easy "reloading". If that can be done with a foreign bank, even better. Sorry if it was said after page 17 of the thread.

My wish list would be:

-easy and quick to get, over the net

-possibility of linking to a nominated Thai or foreign account or both

-easy to control (reloading, setting and changing daily limits via Internet)

-easy to cancel (some would give this kind of card to their distant girlfriends)

-possibility to temporarily block card usage (without cancelling it. when a g/f goes bad and another chance is given to her, withour re-issuing the card)

-acceptance same or comparable to "regular" visa cards

-perks that sponsors routinely throw in without much negotiation, just to say I've got them too

For that, I would pay a yearly fee that is competitive with other players in the market.

I have 4 credit cards (3 types AMEX, VISA Japan, Visa from Oz, Diners JP) and have never used nor considered any of the the perks they are bombarding me with.

Yes, once, when paying for something using AMEX, shop assistant asked me to fill in an additional form for an extra year of warranty. That required some effort that I did not bother to put in.

Glanced a few times while chucking the junk that comes with CC statements. Found there hillarious things like 10% discount in some Phuket hotel that is already 565US$ per night, or 10% discount in a restaurant where a dinner for 2 is 200$+.

But, If I noticed that my gf has spent enough money for last 2 weeks and want to disable the card for 2-3 days, no, I have to cancel it as lost/stolen.

Assistance and discounts when moving household goods or purchases around the country or overseas would be a worthy addition.   :o

Backpack........ Sit and allow the smoke haze to clear for a moment.

Now imagine the type of client this card is targeted to. It has already been pointed out that it is not for tourists but rather expats. Expats have different needs.

I understand that a credit card cannot provide freight services but you only have to look to other cards outside Thailand to comprehend the vast list of services that the card companies attach to their cards. With one of my cards I can even get a free car wash. These card providers provide a booklet with a list of companies who offer preferential services to the card holder. Simple business economics as it is a valuable marketing aid.

Maybe you could provide a distinction between two previous suggestions 1. Internet Access 2. Car & Motorbike pickup service and the Courier/Freight assistance. Is it just your preference for email over snail mail or do I need to put some wheels on the parcel.

Appeciate your comments Eureka and I understand that many cards around the world offer some superb and obscure promotions. However we must remember that these are established services having been around for many years.

My point is (though worded badly I admit!) that this is obviously a brand new service and everything should be "cha-cha" to start with. I'm sure that George and the TV boys are flat out just to get the initial project off the ground and getting some of the obscure suggestions is just time consuming.

Services I'm sure will be added over a period of time.I would like to add to the many comments on this thread in saying that George and all the TV chaps, you are doing a 'sterling' job lookng after us all.

"Sterling", get it..? Money - expats - cards...

Never mind, a bit high-brow!

Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

OOPS!! I should have checked all of the posts first. :o

I was mistaken in thinking that the suggestions were for an additional Services Book to be included with the card.

Sorry George your task is confusing enoygh without being overloaded with such a variety of non-essential extras. Maybe breaking it down to 2 separate areas would make sense. First everything Financial related and second everything else.

Keep it simple and only look at attaching the essential Financial Services to the card and then you can later put additional benefits in a Services Book

hi all , does any one can tell me how to go about to apply a visa card ? i am already stay here for 1 yr . paul yeo

I just successfully applied for a Visa and MasterCard at my bank (Kasikornbank).

You will need to fill in the application form, copy of your passport containing one-year visa, copy of your work-permit and salary slips of the past 3 month alternetively a record from your bank account of the last 3 month. wait 1 week and thats it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My few thoughts:

1 Visa debit card - good for internet purchases. I find myself ineligible for a visa card either here or in the UK. My Oz bank doesn't issue them.

2 Please keep the card free. I don't think discounts are of any practical value. I never seem to use any of my Diners card points. Not even to fly with QANTAS!

3 Linked to an interest bearing multicurrency account abroad. Great idea if possibe.

4 To my mind, the most useful addition - probably impossible - would be to be credited by Thai Immigration with having brought in funds from abroad when the card is used at an ATM in Thailand.

5 Being Thai based, but using English, is of great value in itself to those of us who don't read Thai.

6 A published directory of associated suppliers would also be handy. It can take a while to find services and supplies when you can't read the yellow pages or newspaper ads.