Thai Clothing Slaves Break Free From Chains

webfact

Thai Clothing Slaves Break free From Chains

Former slave workers from the textile industry have across continents formed their own clothing production. “No Chains” will now spread to more and more countries including the Scandinavian ones.

While the global fashion world this week assembles in Denmark during Copenhagen Fashion Week, textile workers from two other capitals have joined together in creating their own brand – and break the chains to a past as slave workers.

The organisations La Alameda of Buenos Aires, Argentina and Dignity Returns of Bangkok have met across continents wanting to create proper jobs and focus the world’s attention on the conditions for slave workers around the world.

“This is a proclamation to the world to support proper working conditions and also show, that it is possible to produce high quality clothes without enslaving anyone,” says Gustavo Vera from La Alameda in Buenos Aires.

The brand “No Chains” is already sold via a joint webpage and the partnership seems to be working great.

Just a few days ago No Chains Thai representatives visited the Indonesian capital, Jakarta, to meet the working force of PT Istana.

The Indonesian workers are in the middle of a fight to get the money owed to them from former employees.

The plan is to involve the Indonesians in No Chains, making a new production 100 percent controlled by the workers.

Within years the No Chains organisation whishes to expand to more than 20-30 development countries, creating better working conditons while producing first class clothing. Clothes that will be sold worldwide including Scandinavia.

Source: scandasia.com

-- SCANDASIA

2010-08-11

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

I just wonder why Scandinavia is singled out in this article. Cynical me thinks it might be because some think they may fall for this gimmick line and be willing to pay for it a bit more easily than others.

I just wonder why Scandinavia is singled out in this article. Cynical me thinks it might be because some think they may fall for this gimmick line and be willing to pay for it a bit more easily than others.

Sawasdee Khrup Khun TimeStamp,

The (the linked-to) story is from a Bangkok based website covering Asian news for Scandinavians. Try some "karuna metta" to help with the cynicism.

best, ~o:37;

The (the linked-to) story is from a Bangkok based website covering Asian news for Scandinavians. Try some "karuna metta" to help with the cynicism.

Scandasia, found it. Maybe should buy new glasses. With tomorrow a holiday here (Queen's birthday, aka mothers day) I'll have a beer or two to get over it.

Try some "karuna metta" to help with the cynicism.

Off topic, but after reading a bit

"Buddhist concept of friendship, can perhaps be seen most clearly in 'Metta' and 'Karuna'. 'Metta' or 'loving kindness' are of the highest value to all Buddists. They try to extend their 'loving-kindness' to all living beings, with no exceptions. 'Karuna' or 'Compassion' is a virtue which Buddhists continually try to cultivate. Friendship is thought to have the expectations and personal responsibilities of both 'Karuna' and 'Metta', as is taught in the 'Sacred Dhamma'."

There are likewise bits and pieces in the Holy Bible. Not many Buddhists or Christians seem good at sticking to it though and I'm far from perfect.

Edited by rubl

Scandasia is not a 'news' publication, it is paid advertising that tries to pass itself off as 'news'.

Pay them enough and they'll publish positive news articles about anyone or anything.