Driving A Marked Vehicle

grumpyoldman

The processing of the film...

Where are you, 1987? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Actually they used film cameras in Scandinavia, the pioneers on speed cameras starting in the 70s, until early 90s. Since then digital, whith transfer of pics/info by GSM/ internett. To many cameras where simply shot or stolen after speeding offenceB)

an old comics routing comes to mind ( Gallagher I think it was)

issue all drivers dart guns with suction cup darts and a little flag attache with the work asshol_e on it

get more than 3 on your car and the cops have to pull you over and give you a ticket for being and asshol_e

I really don't understand thst stopping and paying.

Every time i have driven to bangkok and beyond, i have only been stopped at regular checkpoints, and never forked out any money.

Only driven this route with Thai in the car btw.

I am the same as you, i have never been stopped to pay money.

I find traveling at 110 KPH on the main highways keeps you out of slow bumpy lane most of the time,

I change to the slow lane when cars traveling faster come up behind.

I also slow down to a sensible speed in built up areas.

I have been stopped at regular check points on the main highways about 5 times.

But you have to drive a little, just a little like a Thai just to get somewhere, me think, you try to keep a good distance to the car in front, you all know there will be a car taken that spot within 2 sec, and if you still keep your distance you will end up back home.

Also you totally rock the boat and create incidents and friction if you drive to the letter of the law..

Like approaching a T juction where a car is waiting to pull out, if you drive western style, pass the front of his vehicle to do the turn they are not expecting it, may already be half out and half over the road, you doing that delays his exit through the traffic gap etc.. They 'expect' you to break the rule and go the wrong side of them, and by doing it the right way it creates a log jam.

You need to take what works, and blend in as safely as possible.. Tho I did find myself back in the west slipstreaming the wrong way up a road just a few meters from the junction and freaking everyone out there :unsure:

For me, its not the overall style of driving that bothers me, I can assimilate and handle that.. But its the me first style, the inability to pause slightly for the common good, that makes roundabouts not work, that means you cant keep a good braking distance etc. It seems worse in the south in general and Phuket especially

an old comics routing comes to mind ( Gallagher I think it was)

issue all drivers dart guns with suction cup darts and a little flag attache with the work asshol_e on it

get more than 3 on your car and the cops have to pull you over and give you a ticket for being and asshol_e

You would need a fully automatic dart gun in Phuket.

For me, its not the overall style of driving that bothers me, I can assimilate and handle that.. But its the me first style, the inability to pause slightly for the common good, that makes roundabouts not work, that means you cant keep a good braking distance etc. It seems worse in the south in general and Phuket especially

I completely agree, there are a few times where for the sake of safety, you have to take on a Thai driving style.

Funny you should mention roundabouts. About six to eight months ago they finished a roundabout in Ao Nang on the way to the Gastropod Fossil Museum. People coming from Gastropod Fossil still haven't figured out they are suppose to yield to the traffic already in the roundabout coming from their right. I have had two motorbike riders almost go over my hood, and almost t-boned a car who just flew through as I was headed toward Ao Nang. Luckily you can tell as they don't slow down heading into the roundabout.

Although I admit reckless, 2 weeks ago I was stopped outside the police station on my bike while

1. On the telephone

2. No Helmet

3. Stinking of booze

An immediate offer of 200 Baht was dismissed, after a little banter a a phone call to his superior I was on my way for the princley sum of 300 Baht......thats Hua Hin mind, far better than a night in the cells, 20,000 Baht fine etc...highway robbery for me all time please:D :D :D

You should be proud of you