Agoda Refunds

antony77

We booked a Hotel with AGODA reservation service for one night in Bangkok at about BT 600.

We wanted to cancel about one week before and they said no refund for cancellations less than 10

days. Even if we had canceled more than 10 days before, we would have only got back 25% i.e Bt150

This is a very unfair policy so I suggest you take this into consideration before making any reservations.

Other booking agencies don't all have these penalties

I booked with HotelThailand.com and only had to pay a deposit which in the case of cancellation was refundable less a small service fee, with the balance being payable on arrival at the hotel.

I had to cancel and they said they would refund the deposit immediately but it would take my bank up to 16 weeks to process the refund, given that banks manage to debit accounts immediately I really don't understand why they take 16 weeks to make refund - or are HotelThailand spinning me a line?

Look at it from both sides. If a hotelier, especially a small guesthouse, takes your booking he considers it booked and can't book it out again. Consequently he has to turn down other potential guests. Then you cancel and he now has an empty room.

Too many people book rooms and fail to turn up. That is what a deposit is for. To hold the room for you. If you don't want to lose the deposit don't pay it first.

I fully appreciate that, I for one wouldn't book unless I fully intend honouring my booking, but sometimes circumstances force you to change your plans.

But if a hotel or agents terms and condition indicate that a deposit is refundable then they should abide by their rules and refund the customer promptly if they have to change their plans, especially months ahead as was the case with me. If the terms and conditions indicate that the deposit is none refundable then I will abide by the them, but it works both ways.

1 - Don't read the terms and conditions

2 - Whine

I've been there before with Agoda, actually - Hotel with great reviews on Agoda, turned out to be a very old GH, not worth 1/2 of what they were asking, didn't want to stay there and left. Didn't give me money back. They claimed they weren't even able to as they were also bound by the terms and conditions - not sure that was true... all in all, it was very annoying.

Agoda wins because they manage to put together a nice website which works well, whereas all the others seem to be eternally stuck in the 1990ies. Garbage sites with bad usability. Prices are the same.

I have used both Agoda and Asiarooms with satisfactory results from both.

One thing I like about Asiarooms is that the price you see is the price you pay. It is inclusive of taxes. Agoda does not include them until you check out so you have to take that into consideration when comparing listed prices.

And Agoda is not always the cheapest by a long way. On the upcoming trip, I priced a room for 3 days at the Shanghai Mansion, in Bangkok. No, I don't normally stay in a place that upscale but I am going to try to do a photoshoot while I am there because the rooms are just too cool. Anyway, the price on Agoda was approximately 16,920 baht ($564.00 x 30 baht) and the same room on Asairooms was 11,970 baht. Plus, with Asiarooms you don't pay until you stay. Does that mean I would not book with Agoda? Of course not. It just means there are things to consider before doing it. And with Asiarooms, you can cancel up to 3 days before with no cancellation charge. All of that generally moves them ahead of Agoda for me.

Edited by Genericnic

Standard procedure and as an ex hotel owner I compleltely understand as if I were part of the Agoda network with my Hotel I would still charge Agoda for a cancellation with 10 days to arrival as I would of refused people rooms that were blocked by Agoda so they have to pay for that and its completely acceptable that they dont refund you for your money.

The only issue is if they dont make it clear which is not the case as they have clearly labeled in terms and conditions of booking.

My issue with them is their hotel rating system-did they make it up or take the hotel owner's word?

Site works well though and I like the fact they accept amex.

Btw stayed at a hotel on jomtien a couple weeks back (big japanese brand) and on checkin I presented the same card I used on their website to reserve the room (directly) but was told their amex machine was down? Checking out 3 days later was given the excuse that their amex machine was being used at an outside event that day and was unavailable?

Hate it when they advertise they accept it but really don't want u to use it. Won't be staying there again. Hope their lil percentage savings makes up for the loss in future business.

You've got to watch Agoda rates, a friend of mine had their hotel on Agodas website checked it one day only to find they'd put the rack rate up by 60 percent to make their price look even better without asking for permission to do so. Lots of better sites around where you only need to pay ten percent deposit instead of all up front with them.

I have cancelled with Agoda before and received my refund less penalty fee with no problems.

I used to be loyal to Asia Rooms but I kept getting bum rooms and their website now sucks.

A big shift away from Asia Rooms to Agoda I suspect...

Sometimes it depends on the terms of the hotel's offer, not on Agoda's policy.

If the cheapo deal from the hotel is 'no refund whatsoever' then that is stated by Agoda.

The same hotel may even have a higher rate for the same room that does allow flexibility of cancellation or change of dates.

I booked a hotel with Agoda, I had looked at the normal rates and the special worked out at about 35% of the normal rate, so loosing that much is just like loosing a deposit if you cancel, like the budget airlines, you get cheap rates because of all the rules about no refunds etc, basically in any industry if you want benefits, you have to pay for them.

If you had to cancel due to unforeseeable circumstances travel insurance would cover it, but if your booking on Agoda I doubt you would worry about the extra cost of travel insurance when the initial outlay is so low.

I also agree with the other posters who are saying shop around.

I recently booked a room at the Chumphon Novatel through Hotels.com instead of Agoda because it was $10 less a night.

2 rooms, x 3 days =$60 savings for looking at other sites.