Riddles And Paradoxes

Along the same lines... But a bit more difficult.

3 men go into a motel.

The man behind the desk said the room is $30, so each man paid $10 and went to the room.

A while later the man behind the desk realized the room was only $25, so he sent the bellboy to the 3 guys' room with $5.

On the way the bellboy couldn't figure out how to split $5 evenly between 3 men, so he gave each man a $1 and kept the other $2 for himself.

This meant that the 3 men each paid $9 for the room, which is a total of $27, add the $2 that the bellboy kept = $29.

Where is the other dollar?

I like this one.

The dilemma comes from the wording of the question.

This meant that the 3 men each paid $9 for the room, which is a total of $27, add the $2 that the bellboy kept = $29.

We really need to subtract the $2 that the bellboy kept from $27, giving $25, which is what the total cost of the 3 rooms was.

How about this one:

Poaching on the hunting preserves of a powerful prince was punishable by death, but the prince further decreed that anyone caught poaching was to be given the privilege of deciding whether he should be hanged or beheaded. The culprit was permitted to make a statement - if it were false, he was to be hanged; if it were true, he was to be beheaded. One logical rogue availed himself of this dubious prerogative - to be hanged if he didn't and to be beheaded if he did - by stating:...

What?

Scroll down slowly so you can first try and then see the answer...

S'thing to activate your brain cell

man

-----------

board

Ans. = man overboard

stand

-----------

i

Ans. = I understand

ok?....get the drift? :o

Let's try a few now & see how you fare ???

/r/e/a/d/i/n/g/

Ans. = reading between the lines

r

road

a

d

Ans. = cross road

cycle

cycle

cycle

Ans. = tricycle

t

o

w

n

Ans. = downtown

le /

/ vel

Ans. = split level

-------------

M.D.

Ph.D.

Ans. = two degrees below zero

knee!

------------

light

Ans. = neon light (knee on light)

ii ii

----------

O O

Ans. = circles under the eyes

dice

dice

Ans. = paradise

t

o

u

c

h

Ans. = touch! down

ground

---------------

feet

feet

feet

feet

feet

feet

Ans. = six feet underground

he's / himself

Ans. = he's by himself

ecnalg

Ans. = backward glance

death / life

Ans. = life after death

THINK

Ans. think big !! !

And the last one is what made me missing

you...............

ababaaabbbbaaaabbbbababaabbaaabbbb....

Ans. long time no 'c'(see)

One logical rogue availed himself of this dubious prerogative - to be hanged if he didn't and to be beheaded if he did - by stating:...

"I will be hanged" !

The powerful prince had to let him go because if what he said was in fact true, then he had to be beheaded, which contradicted his statement.

Here's an old one that uses some of the same logic:

You are a prisoner. Your jailer shows you two doors in the prison walls. He tells you that one door leads to freedom, the other to certain death. Alongside each door is a guard. One of these two guards always tells the truth, the other always lies. You don't know which one are which (either doors or guards)

You have one question to ask of only one guard. In other words one question only. With the answer to this question you will be able to, with certainty, go out of the door to freedom.

What is the question?

Ok, I'm going for it:

Ask either guard, "IF I WERE TO ASK THIS HERE OTHER GUARD WHICH DOOR LED TO FREEDOM, WHAT WOULD HE TELL ME?"

If I happen to have asked the liar, he will know the other one would tell me true, so he'll say the opposite.

Let's say door A is the way to freedom. I ask the lying guard, what would your buddy answer me, and he'll say "Door B"

If I happen to have asked the truthful guard, he will know the other one would lie (telling me door b ), so then he'll truthfully answer, "The other guy would tell you 'Door B'"

Thus with that question in either case you will be told the door to death. So choose the opposite.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Edward B, thank you for answering about the prince, I kept checking back, but wouldn't think about it because I hate these. I have hated them since fifth grade, when I gave up. Wisely. Now I've spent more than an hour on this one from Thomas. grrrrr __#% __ (:o uh-oh -- this doesn't print everything I write!!)

But assuming that they are fun for some, in that spirit I offer this old one I remember:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Early one spring a farmer leaves home, travels down the road, wades through the river and goes to market. He buys a sack of grain, a chicken to lay eggs, and a pretty red fox as a surprise for his wife and kids. But it has been raining. The river has risen sharply and he is going to have to row his way back. He manages to borrow a little boat, but it is only big enough to hold himself and one other object. If he takes the grain, that leaves the chicken with the fox on the shore, and the fox will eat the chicken. If he takes the fox across first, that leaves the chicken alone with the grain, and he can kiss next years' crop good bye. 

What to do?

He takes the chicken across first (leaving fox and grain)

He comes back alone and takes the grain across (leaving fox alone).

He offloads the grain and PICKS UP the chicken.

He comes back with the chicken.

He drops off the chicken and takes the fox across (leaving the chicken).

He comes back alone and picks up the chicken (again!).

As long as the fox doesn't eat the grain he's laughing.

This is an easy one.

An old farang guy walks to the top of the mountain on Pee Pee island. Instead of returning along the well-worn path he decides to be adventurous and make his own way back through the jungle. He bashes his way down the mountain for about half an hour before reaching an old rusty fence about 1m high. He knows he can't climb over so he looks up and down the fence and notices what looks like a gate about 20m further down. He reaches the gate, opens it and walks through. After closing the gate he follows what looks like an old goat trail for another 20 minutes or so before stumbilng upon an old hut. He is greeted by a short local man with about 6 or 7 goats following closely behind him. The local man comes up to the farang and says something in thai. Not knowing much thai, the farang just smiles and continues to walk along the goat track, hoping not to make any trouble. The local man shouts out to the farang again. The farang, still not sure what to do just smiles and says "hello". The local man again says something in thai, this time quite animatedly. Not wanting to cause any trouble, the farang thinks to himself and then nods his head, saying "Chai, chai" (it's the only thai he knows!). Upon hearing these words, the local man calms down, smiles and then walks off with his goats following behind.

Now, your task is to figure out what the local man said to the farang. The clues are all there.

• 5 months later...

He said.....

scroll down

"Did you close the gate"?

The guy was sick of stupid farangs coming through his property and leaving the gate open so all his goats wandered around, making him have to go and fetch them all.

Obvious now isn't it?

Dear Edward,

It took you 5 MONTHS to answer. I have learned to read Thai, but managed to forget my password to log on!

For this distress it is but fair to request a joke in compensation...something of subtlety and wit.

Awaiting in patient edurance,

dodeskaden

OK, I found this the other day and it made me laugh so here ya go. I'm sorry but it is neither subtle nor witty - just funny.

A man walked into his backyard one morning and found there was a gorilla in a tree. He called a gorilla-removal service, and soon a serviceman arrived with a stick, a Chihuahua, a pair of handcuffs and a shotgun.

"Now listen carefully," he told the homeowner, "I'm going to climb the tree and poke the gorilla with this stick until he falls to the ground. The trained Chihuahua will then go right for his, uh, sensitive area, and when the gorilla instinctivly crosses his hands in front to protect himself, you slap the handcuffs on"

"Ok, got it." the homeowner replied. "But whats that shotgun for?"

"If I fall out of the tree before the gorilla," the man said, "shoot the Chihuahua."

บุม บุม