Bmw K1600Gt And The K1600Gtl

BSJ

That should put those puny 1300s in their place hehehe jeez what a monster...

The picture above is camouflaged... I found this other picture as the rumored looks - who knows though, many things can be found on the internet...

post-20814-058577800 1281855399_thumb.jp

That should put those puny 1300s in their place hehehe jeez what a monster...

The picture above is camouflaged... I found this other picture as the rumored looks - who knows though, many things can be found on the internet...

post-20814-058577800 1281855399_thumb.jp

Yeah, that is LT 1600 Nikster, real beauty.

GT version with those grills looks very similar to Kawasaki GTR 1400.

Funny, I had a Miata with a 1600 engine but this one is far more powerful.

Off-topic, I know why bikes get bigger and faster as new models come out but I wish someone would put out a small cc bike with the latest technology.

Most young guys want a supersport for their first bike because they look and are fast.

Today's 600cc SS bikes have 130HP, that's dangerous to a first time rider that is often a teenager.

Plus they cost as much as a cheap car, and cost as much or more to insure (in the US).

Although it is the #1 bike sold in the US supposedly, the Ninja 250R is too old school with it's parallel twin and steel frame.

If one of the Japanese companies took all the tech from their 600cc supersport and built a 250cc, then they'd have a huge hit.

It would have 50HP in a ~150KG package which is still fun and would be cheaper to insure.

Sell it for 60% of the cost of a 600cc SS and you have a global sales hit.

Back to the BMW, cross country bikes are usually not first bikes so experienced riders will love this.

This will be one fast cross county cruiser, like a 2 wheeled M5.

Wow, 1600GT? Big jump from BMW, normaly would expect 1400 first. Just a week ago I was inquiring about GT1300, great looking bike - price 1.3 million baht.

Here is the image of 2011 GT1600, more about it on http://bmwsuperbikes.com/ :

bmwerl2.jpg

:lol: My first thought was your pulling my leg! That's really a Kwaka GTR1400.....

Then I saw Nikster's pix....and I thought, god I hope thats not it! :blink:

I liked the clip of the K1200S. That thing really got to 250 in a big hurry! And then 280....which is hot potatoes. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Booked this baby (K1600GTL), so far first order in Phuket. Sold my ZZR1400 to Paddy but unfortunately he lost his life in tragic accident 10 days later (http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4442959), may he Rest in Peace.

Price is Baht 1,450,000 OTR excluding insurance but Barcelona Auto manager gave us discount of Baht 50,000.....my wife jokingly asked for price reduction and to our surprise he agreed. Bike is coming straight from Germany, full option except GPS gadget, have to pay extra for that. GT version won't be available in Thailand.

Delivery scheduled for January 2012. Choice of 2 colors only: blue and silver. 2 units sold in BKK already.

Attractive financing package from BMW in house Financial Services. Take a look at attached image, it includes details for all other models available for sale in Thailand.

Interesting, same bike in Malaysia costs Baht 1,680,000.....but manager over there showed me order list with over 60 bookings!!! According to him, Gold Wing riders are switching over.

scan0001.jpg

Edited by CroBiker

• 6 months later...

Ahhhhh, arrived!

After 7 months wait, my K1600GTL just arrived from Germany to Barcelona Motors, Phuket.

Manager called and said lots of folks in showroom asking to see the bike or even test drive lol......

He won't let them, still in the box and nobody gonna sit on this baby before me!

Pics coming soon!

400213_270780552995422_100001904370222_639543_1431101158_n.jpg

423763_270780792995398_100001904370222_639544_501419545_n.jpg

Funny, I had a Miata with a 1600 engine but this one is far more powerful.

Off-topic, I know why bikes get bigger and faster as new models come out but I wish someone would put out a small cc bike with the latest technology.

Most young guys want a supersport for their first bike because they look and are fast.

Today's 600cc SS bikes have 130HP, that's dangerous to a first time rider that is often a teenager.

Plus they cost as much as a cheap car, and cost as much or more to insure (in the US).

Although it is the #1 bike sold in the US supposedly, the Ninja 250R is too old school with it's parallel twin and steel frame.

If one of the Japanese companies took all the tech from their 600cc supersport and built a 250cc, then they'd have a huge hit.

It would have 50HP in a ~150KG package which is still fun and would be cheaper to insure.

Sell it for 60% of the cost of a 600cc SS and you have a global sales hit.

Back to the BMW, cross country bikes are usually not first bikes so experienced riders will love this.

This will be one fast cross county cruiser, like a 2 wheeled M5.

Totally agree, a 250-400cc inline 4 with USD forks and fully adjustable suspension in a modern frame would be a great bike.

These big (1200cc plus) bikes have never really appealed to me due to the weight, but I'd love to have a blast on this BMW. I imagine it to be like riding a rocket propelled sofa.

Ahhhhh, arrived!

After 7 months wait, my K1600GTL just arrived from Germany to Barcelona Motors, Phuket.

Manager called and said lots of folks in showroom asking to see the bike or even test drive lol......

He won't let them, still in the box and nobody gonna sit on this baby before me!

Pics coming soon!

Awesome! Congratulations.

Ahhhhh, arrived!

Pics coming soon!

Awesome! Congratulations.

congratulations ,awesome indeed !

let us know how it rips when u get it outta the box and tanked up with gas :)

Totally agree, a 250-400cc inline 4 with USD forks and fully adjustable suspension in a modern frame would be a great bike.

A 250 inline 4??

How about the KTM Duke 200 - seems like somebody is thinking about this, at least. Looks like a great little naked bike for the city...

@crobiker - bike pix please!!!! I mean yeah the box looks impressive and all but I really want to see the bike ;)

A 250 inline 4??

How about the KTM Duke 200 - seems like somebody is thinking about this, at least. Looks like a great little naked bike for the city...

@crobiker - bike pix please!!!! I mean yeah the box looks impressive and all but I really want to see the bike wink.png

it was talked about recently ,nobody was too impressed because it costs 220 or 230k in thailand

almost 650 money for a 200cc :(

A 250 inline 4??

@crobiker - bike pix please!!!! I mean yeah the box looks impressive and all but I really want to see the bike wink.png

it was talked about recently ,nobody was too impressed because it costs 220 or 230k in thailand

almost 650 money for a 200cc sad.png

Agreed it's too expensive over here - in India where the bike is made it's way cheaper, less than 90k baht if my web research is correct. It was 200,200 in the beginning... why not just get a D-Tracker for 150 then...

Nevertheless - bike manufacturers are clearly thinking about this sort of thing, at least one is. Suzuki also has a new 250 naked, but Thai price unknown as of yet AFAIK.

A 250 inline 4??

@crobiker - bike pix please!!!! I mean yeah the box looks impressive and all but I really want to see the bike ;)

Sure why not a 250 inline 4? The old cbr250 was a beast. Put that engine in a modern chassis with modern suspension and it would be a great bike.

As for the ktm, I love the manufacturer and the look of the bike but a 200cc thumper for 220k is a joke unfortunately.

Where's the pics of the BMW?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply, below you can find the pics of 2012 BMW K 1600 GTL. This is my 14th bike since 1982.

As I said earlier, I waited 7 months for delivery. Thailand has received total of 12 units, most of them to be distributed in BKK, Phuket and Hat Yai.

At this very moment there are 2 more units at Barcelona Motor Phuket but you can't see them, they are neatly stashed inside the shipping box.

Apparently 1 unit goes to Hat Yai and the other one is to be eventually displayed in local showroom. Interesting though, manager says they don't have one single booking outside of Bangkok.

I got myself pretty nice deal; price is 1,450,000 but they gave me discount of additional 50k because I was the very first customer. My wife jokingly asked for discount, manager called BKK HQ and got approval. Didn't expect this but not complaining though. 2 Years parts and labor warranty, 30k for 80% insurance and additional 6k for plate number 1. I didn't ask for it, they offered to me so I said what a hell, why not.

My first impressions: as a lifelong sport bike rider, riding GTL 1600 is something else. 350kg of weight and 2.5 meter long bike is not something I got used to.

I'll be honest, first day when I was picking up the bike I got little nervous.....bike is much bigger than I thought! Don't get me wrong, this is what I want and can't think of any other bike on this planet I rather have except from sport line up - 1199 Panigale. I bought the bike without ever having it seen on the road let alone test riding. Well, back in August 2011 during my visit to Europe I had an opportunity to finally see this beauty closely and really swept me off my feet. GTL 1600 is called "Touring bike for retired Sport bike riders" and I absolutelly agree.

Anyway, very first impression was feeling of sitting inside the bike, not on the bike because of it's shear size and interesting rider seat. Smooth gear shifting is simply incredible. Second impression was negative: placing of horn button is so stupidly located almost under the menu roller and every time I want to use it I actually have to look for the dam_n thing instead of keeping my eyes on the road. 60+ old brigade from certain GTL forum is complaining about gear shift noise, honestly.....I have no clue what they talking about.

I was very cautious after riding first 400-500 meters thru thick traffic of Phuket town.

It didn't take long for me to step on it and actually overtake Yamaha R1 rider in pretty sharp corner. He was looking at me in disbelief and to tell you the truth I was so surprised how easy this baby goes thru corners. Trouble starts when you get stuck in traffic jam, I mean it's nightmare. Bike is exactly 100cm wide and going in between the lanes and other vehicles is impossibility which brings slight nostalgia from my days as sport biker. Once you are out of town on open highway, can't help feeling like king of the road. The feeling is undescribable (sp lol...). Six cylinders, 160 HP, 6 speed, ESA, dynamic traction control, ABS, 27 liter fuel tank with range of 450 km without refuelling (at average speed of 110 km/h). There is a world's first headlight adaptive system, heated seats and grips too lmao....I asked them what am I gonna do with this option in tropical country but they explained all GTL's in Thailand are US Spec and that's what you get. They also gave me powerfull spot/fog lights which is not standard. Apparently, all future buyers will get bike without these lights and if you want to order them from motorrad on line, price is US$ 970 before shipping and import taxes.

I swear to God, onboard audio system is better than the one I have at home. At the right fairing there is a compartment with i-Pod and USB connection. Transfered about 3000 rock mp3's from my PC to USB stick, litterally rocking down the highway. Look, I can write until tomorrow to tell you what this bike has or can do....you just have to ask for test ride to trully appreciate it even if you aren't fan of such motorcycles.

Enjoy the pics and see you on the road!

01014993.jpg

01014994.jpg

01014995.jpg

01014996.jpg

01014997.jpg

01014998.jpg

01015000.jpg

01015002.jpg

01015003.jpg

01015004.jpg

01015005.jpg

01015006.jpg

01015007.jpg

01015008.jpg

01015010.jpg

01015014.jpg

Edited by CroBiker

One more thing: I have to thank BSJ for starting this topic. He was the first guy on this planet who told me (via forum topic) of existance of such bike.

As you can see, I immediatelly fell in love with this machine and couldn't rest until I got it. Thanks BSJ, I owe you commision lol....clap2.gif

And here is little video I made, music you hear is from bike's audio system........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rvzC6aNboI&list=UUXpzzOBwfY1zJHCs8ggQl2Q&index=1&feature=plcp

Thank you gentlemen! Right now I feel as if I bought my very first bike, absolutelly overwhelmed by joy and happines. Tomorrow 9am I am blasting down to Railey Beach in Krabi with another 2 riders. Phatthalung, Phuket, Samui and Hat Yai bike weeks - here comes papa!!!!

Thank you gentlemen! Right now I feel as if I bought my very first bike, absolutelly overwhelmed by joy and happines. Tomorrow 9am I am blasting down to Railey Beach in Krabi with another 2 riders. Phatthalung, Phuket, Samui and Hat Yai bike weeks - here comes papa!!!!

More pics please :)

More pics please smile.png

lol Karlos.....in due time hahaha....meanwhile take a look this video. It is test ride organized by Barcelona Motor at Kirimaya, Khao Yai, Thailand. Take a look how this bike perfectly handles twisty roads....

BMW K1600GTL Test Ride @ Kirimaya, Khao Yai, Thailand