Sending Money To Thailand

qpgwmh

Hello,

My wife and I send money periodically to her parents in rural Thailand. They do not have bank accounts or computer access thus bank transfers and PayPal are, I believe, not an option.

Previously I had left them with a Nationwide ATM only card which I could top up with money here and notify my father in law who would then withdraw from an ATM. As Nationwide have now started to charge for transactions abroad (or even stopped it altogether - I forget) we're trying to learn what the cheapest way to get cash across now would be. Western Union is so expensive!

Is anybody able to offer some helpful advice, please?

Many Thanks from us both.

Is there any reason that her parents refuse to get a bank account? You could use the excuse "I can't get money to you if you don't have a bank account" excuse and, in this case, it would be accurate.

'Refuse' suggests they have been asked; if their opening of a bank account proves to be the best way then we could indeed ask them. I wonder if there are any other options?

we are in the US and we use moneygram the fees on sending $300 are about $ 10

Wow, that's great value. To send 10,000 Baht from the UK incures a fee of £25 with moneygram and £27 with Western Union. It really is an expensive way to send cash.

Befriend a local Christian Priest in Thailand and send the money to his bank account. He will pass it on to your girlfriend for a donation of 30 baht to his church.

Don't laugh, this works for friends of mine.

There are Christian priests...never seen them!

Befriend a local Christian Priest in Thailand and send the money to his bank account. He will pass it on to your girlfriend for a donation of 30 baht to his church.

Don't laugh, this works for friends of mine.

There are Christian priests...never seen them!

Several Wat Falang in Buriram

Is there any reason that her parents refuse to get a bank account? You could use the excuse "I can't get money to you if you don't have a bank account" excuse and, in this case, it would be accurate.

'Refuse' suggests they have been asked; if their opening of a bank account proves to be the best way then we could indeed ask them. I wonder if there are any other options?

No matter that you were in breach of Nationwide's conditions of use - we were all doing it when the card was free.

Now I use halifax to send money to my Thai bank. £9.50 online charge.

Time the inlaws had a bank account.

The cheapest confirmed way is with a FairFx Anywhere.

Obtain it via Money Supermarket

The only cost is that they shave 1.5% off the exchange rate as compared to the current 1% of the Nationwide.

Possibly the cheapest is the Escape Travel Money Card. It claims no charges at all. It certainly looks that way according to their fees table. You will have to check this for yourself.

Click on the Money Supermarket link and choose Sterling Cards.

The clause that concerns me with the Escape Card is this one: e6de1e.jpg

That implies that the may fiddle with the Mastercard exchange rate, unlike the FairFx card, who are up front with what they are taking.

Perhaps someone can contact Escape in order to compare the Mastercard rate with the rate Escape quote.

Don't see anywhere on their website that will shows us exchange rates. I have my reservations about this card.

Overall FairFx seems altogether more clear.

Seems that FairFx has the same in their T&Cs.

We may make immediate changes to the exchange rate used to convert foreign transactions into Sterling. For all transactions made in a foreign currency you can find out what the applicable exchange rate was at the time of the transaction by contacting our Customer Services Team

Will need to investigate in order to find out exactly what it means.