Buying Electronics On-Line In Thailand

heybruce

A few months ago, I think it was in this forum, I saw something about an on-line business that sells electronics in Thailand. I know that it's far better to hold off on electronic purchases until I visit the U.S., Singapore, or other countries, but I'm shopping for a birthday present and don't want to travel just to buy a digital camera. Can anyone provide me with the address of this website? With the exception of a few very basic point and shoots, camera prices in Chiang Mai are ridiculous.

Let me add my 2 cents.

I've done a fair amount of price comparison of cameras and lenses at the local retail outlets, compared to the online Thai shopping sites and of course my old favorite online store, B&H.

I saw very little, if any, difference between the retail outlets and the online Thai shopping sites.

The price difference between the local outlets and B&H varies anywhere from 4% to 40% more here, at least on the items I compared.

I ended up buying two cameras here at Airport Plaza;

The Canon 550D with the kit lens for 29900 baht. This was only about $30 more than the B&H price. In addition, they gave me a free camera bag and memory card, and they sat down with me and checked the operation of the camera before I left the store. This was at Photo Hut.

The other camera I bought here was the Sony TX5 (a compact point and shoot). This one was about 15% more than the B&H price. They did through in a free tripod and a memory card and they also sat down with me and set the time, language, and checked everything out before I left. This was the Sony store.

I felt good about both of those purchases, and I didn't have to worry about getting a dud and dealing with an online store trying to make it right.

So, I think, if you're looking for a camera, it should be worth while to at least check and compare prices at the local shops. Some of their promotions make for good deals too.