Car Insurance Companies In Thailand

taxin

Hi all. There seems a lot of information on TV with regards to what car insurance entails here in Thailand, and what the different types of policies cover you for, and what they do not. Can anyone actually recommend the names of any reputable Thai insurance companies that I can get quotes from ?

Im only looking to contact the insurances companies direct, not interested in speaking with brokers. Last time I gave money to a broker they did a runner with my money and I never seen them again.

At the moment im with QBE and have been for 3 years now, but I think they are getting greedy assuming that I dont care and will pay whatever they ask me, simply because I have been with them for 3 years (which is what I have heard happens here).

Would just like to see if there are any TV members out there who have cars and could recommend other companies.

Cheers !

I have found Viriyah to be reasonable and efficient with many branches throughout Thailand.

It is understood that insurance increases in Thailand as a vehicles gets older even though the value decreases however this can normally be negotiated.

I have found Viriyah to be reasonable and efficient with many branches throughout Thailand.

It is understood that insurance increases in Thailand as a vehicles gets older even though the value decreases however this can normally be negotiated.

Thanks Kered, I tried Viriyah, they are asking for 60% more than the best quote I have had, for less cover !

Thanks Kered, I tried Viriyah, they are asking for 60% more than the best quote I have had, for less cover !

I am surprised, but remember you get what you pay for, i would be very surprised if for instance Viriyah is 60% more than QBE who are also an excellent company.

I recall that a friend of mine had a claim some years ago and although the Insurance company accepted the claim the repairer would not accept the Insurance Company authorization and insisted that he pay cash in advance as the company had a bad reputation for payment. Within a few months I had a claim (not my fault) and the same repairer accepted the paper from Viriyah without question.

Be careful! Given the accident rate in Thailand and the attitude of the police etc. it is better to pay a little more to have a good company look after you. Perhaps you should stay with QBE particularly if you have a clean record with them.

Further to my earlier comment, I had a major accident last Sunday when my vehicle was hit by a huge cement truck. The assessor from Safety Insurance arrived, organised everything for me and told me I could leave since he would remain at the site until the tow truck arrived. Really great service!

Viriyah wanted 27,000 baht, QBE wanted 16,800. I thought it was quite a difference and checked the details of the policy, seemed it was the same cover, apart from QBE valued my car 100K more than Viriyah.

Sure, you get what you pay for, but as with any insurance you really dont know what you have paid for until you need to use it ! I dont believe paying less insurance than another company means it will be a bad company. Same goes for paying more, there are no assurances that paying more will guarantee it will be a good company.

I think I will put it all down to the fact that I have been with them for 3 years, with a nice healthy no claims bonus thrown in.

Viriyah wanted 27,000 baht, QBE wanted 16,800. I thought it was quite a difference and checked the details of the policy, seemed it was the same cover, apart from QBE valued my car 100K more than Viriyah.

Sure, you get what you pay for, but as with any insurance you really dont know what you have paid for until you need to use it ! I dont believe paying less insurance than another company means it will be a bad company. Same goes for paying more, there are no assurances that paying more will guarantee it will be a good company.

I think I will put it all down to the fact that I have been with them for 3 years, with a nice healthy no claims bonus thrown in.

I guess that you did not negotiate a no claim bonus with Viriyah hence the big difference, normally it can be transferred but this is not normal practice in Thailand it has to be negotiated.

It is good that you are now happy with QBE , they are a good company.

I guess that you did not negotiate a no claim bonus with Viriyah hence the big difference, normally it can be transferred but this is not normal practice in Thailand it has to be negotiated.

I already negotiated with Viriyah and they advised me that they would transfer the no claims bonus, the 27K was including 3 years no claims bonus, the price without the no claims was 34K. Viriyah asked for proof of no claims from previous insurer to be able to offer 27K.

It turns out that Viriyah was actually the company I was was with for the 1st year of having the car, as "advised" by Honda. So I stand corrected, QBE have insured me for the past 2 years (and for the next).

Although I can only comment on price and not about making a claim (hopefully I will never know), I have to say its thumbs up to QBE, and thumbs down to Viriyah !

I already negotiated with Viriyah and they advised me that they would transfer the no claims bonus, the 27K was including 3 years no claims bonus, the price without the no claims was 34K. Viriyah asked for proof of no claims from previous insurer to be able to offer 27K.

It turns out that Viriyah was actually the company I was was with for the 1st year of having the car, as "advised" by Honda. So I stand corrected, QBE have insured me for the past 2 years (and for the next).

Although I can only comment on price and not about making a claim (hopefully I will never know), I have to say its thumbs up to QBE, and thumbs down to Viriyah !

Some win some lose!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Who ever you are insured with , if driving a Toyota or Honda which is more than 3 year old, you may want to check on who the Insurance company will authorize to do repairs. It is my understanding that the Toyota and Honda dealers are not authorized to do repairs on a damaged vehicle unless you pay extra. Just a note to those who are not aware of this.

AA isurance pattaya , faultless AXA insurasne 24 hour breakdown, driver take you home if sick, hotel if your not near home. 6 in the morning my truck would not start rang AXA brekdown truck arrived loaded the pick up took it and me to garage car fixed on the road again 200 baht.

support Thai visa better buying power as a group, plus like for like way cheaper

Who ever you are insured with , if driving a Toyota or Honda which is more than 3 year old, you may want to check on who the Insurance company will authorize to do repairs. It is my understanding that the Toyota and Honda dealers are not authorized to do repairs on a damaged vehicle unless you pay extra. Just a note to those who are not aware of this.

Absolutely right. I have a Toyota Vigo and was paying extra for my comprehensive class A insurance so that I could have genuine Toyota parts fitted at a Toyota dealer. When I recently needed a new windscreen fitted the insurance assessor said I could have the windscreen changed for free under the cover, but could not go to a Toyota dealer nor have a genuine Toyota windscreen fitted. He told me that is because my Toyota is now 5 years old and the genuine Toyota agreement ended after 3 years (I am pretty sure he said 3 years).

When I say I was paying a higher premium for the Toyota parts, I actually mean I could only use several companies who offered this service when I insured the vehicle when it was new. Other insurance companies were cheaper but did not offer the Toyota parts guarantee.

I had continued with the same company each year assuming I was still eligible for genuine Toyota parts and services.

I did have the work done at Toyota in the end and had a Toyota windscreen fitted, I had to pay a 1000 baht excess. However despite being assured I would not lose my no claims bonus - I was 'docked' 10 percent when the renewal came up. This was Viriyah Insurance company.

I decided this was a poor deal and so got a reduced Insurance through ThaiVisa Insurance brokers that also does not fit Toyota parts but at least is cheaper than Viriyah.