Travel Agency Scam With Tickets

crossroadschiangmai

Hi,

I just heard that there is apparently another scam going on where customers book flight tickets with a travel agency, pay the tickets but the agency pockets the money and never buys the tickets at the airline. In many cases customers are either already in Bangkok where they find out or even worse already in their home country and about to fly back to Thailand when they fInd out that the ticket has never been bought. It is actually very easy to check if tickets are really valid:

1. When you make a booking you will get a printed statement with the details of your booking. At this moment you still do not have to pay anything to the agency, they will give you a date when the ticket can be bought latest. Note: The price can change when you do not buy the ticket immediately (for example airport taxes are raised or simply the offer from the airline changes)

2. When you want to finalize your booking you go back to the agency and ask them to issue the ticket, at that moment you will get the final price. They will ask you to pay and after that they will give you the so called E-ticket (Electronic ticket) which is also just a print with your flight details AND your ticket numbers. Note: This is still no proof that your ticket has been paid by them , they just could make up the ticket numbers

3. How to check ? Ask them your Booking reference number, this is a 6 digit number (also called Amadeus Reservation Number)and ask them to go to this website: www.checkmytrip.com

4. Type in this number and your last name on this site and if the tickets are bought already the details will come up, if not they did not buy the tickets

Hope this is useful and will stop this few lowlife agencies to give the many trustworthy agencies a bad name.

Hans Deckers

• Like 1

Wich travel agency is now scaming people?

I have been rippedoff a few years ago by MAU tours...

Hope it are not the same..

same here,but after return to los,and much arguing did get refund,would not go through it agian,though,and i was a vip customer at that shop gave her a lot of business,just goes to show

I am in the process of trying to get my money back from an agent about an air ticket that she never actually paid for. She called me the day before I was to fly and told me that we need to change my dates. She admitted that she has spent my money on the previous customer's ticket. She has been brutally honest about everything actually. She is very behind on all her payments, and have basically used todays money to pay for yesterdays tickets. We met a group of 3 Thais that came to her office with the same issue. We called police, they took her to the station to fill out reports etc so we could take her to court. Since its civil, the police can do nothing more. It was her 3rd time at the station for the same thing, and she has been there once or twice since too.

She managed to give me back 25% of what I paid her but hasn't been able to come up with anything more in the last week. I won't say who she is "yet" as she is still trying to correct the problem. If she doesn't continue paying me back, I will take her to court and post about what "her shop" did to me everywhere. I will even stand in front of her shop and scare away every customer.

Obviously this is effectively no different than the scam mentioned, but I do believe that this lady has really screwed up and is trying to sort it out.

At this point, I am trying to decide if I should continue waiting around in an attempt to collect my money, or buy another ticket and go visit home for a few weeks and deal with it when I come back.

(BTW, this was not from the MAU shop but if thats the one by Warorot market, I have heart about many people getting caught out there)

Edited by blakegeee

The shop you are talking about, is that not too far from Chiang Mai Gate ?

I am in the process of trying to get my money back from an agent about an air ticket that she never actually paid for. She called me the day before I was to fly and told me that we need to change my dates. She admitted that she has spent my money on the previous customer's ticket. She has been brutally honest about everything actually. She is very behind on all her payments, and have basically used todays money to pay for yesterdays tickets. We met a group of 3 Thais that came to her office with the same issue. We called police, they took her to the station to fill out reports etc so we could take her to court. Since its civil, the police can do nothing more. It was her 3rd time at the station for the same thing, and she has been there once or twice since too.

She managed to give me back 25% of what I paid her but hasn't been able to come up with anything more in the last week. I won't say who she is "yet" as she is still trying to correct the problem. If she doesn't continue paying me back, I will take her to court and post about what "her shop" did to me everywhere. I will even stand in front of her shop and scare away every customer.

Obviously this is effectively no different than the scam mentioned, but I do believe that this lady has really screwed up and is trying to sort it out.

At this point, I am trying to decide if I should continue waiting around in an attempt to collect my money, or buy another ticket and go visit home for a few weeks and deal with it when I come back.

(BTW, this was not from the MAU shop but if thats the one by Warorot market, I have heart about many people getting caught out there)

Are you sure that's strictly a civil matter under Thai law? What you are describing (using money taken from customers today to pay for things for customers from whom they took money on previous days) sounds like a Ponzi scheme and is classified as criminal fraud in many countries.

I don't understand you are not willing to say the shops name , you should .

As said , don't be so naive in believing the owners stories , she scammed you ,

this is not doing business ripping off a costumor .

And I vividly believe you should mention the name for others not to fall in the same trap .

Unbelievable you feel sorry , running a business falsely do not deserve a second chance .

Edited by tijnebijn

Are you sure that's strictly a civil matter under Thai law? What you are describing (using money taken from customers today to pay for things for customers from whom they took money on previous days) sounds like a Ponzi scheme and is classified as criminal fraud in many countries.

Wake up Chaps! This is Thailand.....'Land of Scams'. A lot of what constitutes criminal behaviour in Western countries is treated as a joke here and many of the BIB are in on, or participate, in a great deal of the scams. Use your heads and book direct with Airlines or Hotels.

• Like 2

Wake up Chaps! This is Thailand.....'Land of Scams'. A lot of what constitutes criminal behaviour in Western countries is treated as a joke here and many of the BIB are in on, or participate, in a great deal of the scams. Use your heads and book direct with Airlines or Hotels.

It's all fine & good that "This Is Thailand" and that it's the land of scams. But by the standard that you are applying it's not even a civil matter, it's just they way that it is.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Thats right, "not too far from Chiang Mai gate". Have you heard about other cases to do with this shop recently, or have you and I actually met in person? We just spoke with a lawyer over the phone and will have a meeting tomorrow after he goes to straighten some things out with the police regarding the reports they made. It looks like the police may have been "on her side" due to a few details in the report. Apparently, the dated receipt is only valid for 3 months in this type of case so this needs to get rolling right away since I actually paid near the end of June. You could be right about it not being a civil case, but thats what the police made very clear to us, although it looks like they may have sided with her. We will see what happens with the lawyer tomorrow. I am nearly ready to publicize her name as best as I can, but I will first talk to the lawyer.

I don't understand you are not willing to say the shops name , you should .

Because it is against forum rules to name and shame, specifically the rule on libel.

Please tell me why ' Mau Tours ' has been specifically mentioned a zillion times then ...

It warned me when I read it , it is very significant , its a shame people are running a business like that .

Anyway , it is a forum and one should respect its rules , thats clear , but I feel there might be a bit of a double standard or isn't it ?

Hi, I do not think we meet before. I heard this story from a French guy and when they took her to the police station she was welll known over there already.

Thats right, "not too far from Chiang Mai gate". Have you heard about other cases to do with this shop recently, or have you and I actually met in person? We just spoke with a lawyer over the phone and will have a meeting tomorrow after he goes to straighten some things out with the police regarding the reports they made. It looks like the police may have been "on her side" due to a few details in the report. Apparently, the dated receipt is only valid for 3 months in this type of case so this needs to get rolling right away since I actually paid near the end of June. You could be right about it not being a civil case, but thats what the police made very clear to us, although it looks like they may have sided with her. We will see what happens with the lawyer tomorrow. I am nearly ready to publicize her name as best as I can, but I will first talk to the lawyer.

Well, reading all above and obedient to the rules there's hardly any mistake about the name of the travel agency or more precise the lady who runs it. Past time I'll say because there're more victims, in my direct surrounding three persons.

And yes this has nothing to do with MAU tours only the same practice or better stated: malpractice. In our case (four of us) she promised to get things straight today (Monday) 14.00 hours sharp. This she also told to the airline company in my case China Airlines and Thai Airways for the domestic part, who phoned here after my complaint. Even the Tourist Police gave here a call and by all here reputation seemed to be well known. A typical Thai smile is the best answer you get. Till tomorrow I'll gave here the benifit of doubt, if nothing happen than at least lodge a complaint by the regular police and ask for a report. The minimum thing one have is a proof that you were cheated, maybe useful for any assurance. Appearantly she has seen the police station from the inside already. TIT do not translate and do not speak loud, standards of justice are definitely not the same.

She created the gallow and I think it's justified to hang her by name and certainly not annonymous. However, it's still AM, the benifit of doubt still remain in force for a few hours, enough to save her neck.

Edited by politepoet

You offer sound advice on checking bookings through agencies, op, but I'll go one further. Don't use them, period! If one has a credit card and can use the internet, why waste time and invite stress? If one doesn't have a CC, try and book direct with airline. If airline is not local, walk or take a boat. ;)

Ok, she has told me about a french guy. I believe this guy actually heard rumours about what she was pulling and looked up the ticket in advance to find out it hadn't been paid for. If I got the story straight, I think this is also the person that has already taken her to court. She told me that she owes him 85K. Does that sound about right from what he told you?

Unfortunately, my lawyer got caught up in court today and can't get to it till tomorrow now:(.

Hi, I do not think we meet before. I heard this story from a French guy and when they took her to the police station she was welll known over there already.

Edited by blakegeee

Please let us know how your 2pm experience went. Also, have you already missed the ticket she booked and didn't pay for? If you don't mind me asking, when did you pay her the money, and when are/were you supposed to fly (roughly)?

Well, reading all above and obedient to the rules there's hardly any mistake about the name of the travel agency or more precise the lady who runs it. Past time I'll say because there're more victims, in my direct surrounding three persons.

And yes this has nothing to do with MAU tours only the same practice or better stated: malpractice. In our case (four of us) she promised to get things straight today (Monday) 14.00 hours sharp. This she also told to the airline company in my case China Airlines and Thai Airways for the domestic part, who phoned here after my complaint. Even the Tourist Police gave here a call and by all here reputation seemed to be well known. A typical Thai smile is the best answer you get. Till tomorrow I'll gave here the benifit of doubt, if nothing happen than at least lodge a complaint by the regular police and ask for a report. The minimum thing one have is a proof that you were cheated, maybe useful for any assurance. Appearantly she has seen the police station from the inside already. TIT do not translate and do not speak loud, standards of justice are definitely not the same.

She created the gallow and I think it's justified to hang her by name and certainly not annonymous. However, it's still AM, the benifit of doubt still remain in force for a few hours, enough to save her neck.

Must be the same guy since he showed me the bill of THB 85.000 he paid for 2 tickets Chiang Mai-Singapore-Paris return. He called the airline to ask a question about extra luggage and they coud not find his booking. He went to that travel agency and she admitted she just took his money and did not do anything. After he filed a court case.

Ok, she has told me about a french guy. I believe this guy actually heard rumours about what she was pulling and looked up the ticket in advance to find out it hadn't been paid for. If I got the story straight, I think this is also the person that has already taken her to court. She told me that she owes him 85K. Does that sound about right from what he told you?

Unfortunately, my lawyer got caught up in court today and can't get to it till tomorrow now:(.

]

Please let us know how your 2pm experience went. Also, have you already missed the ticket she booked and didn't pay for? If you don't mind me asking, when did you pay her the money, and when are/were you supposed to fly (roughly)?

Well blakegeee, the two o'clock deadline went by but not before the lady in distress gave a call and later an E-mail wherein she explained to be unable to forfil our wishes i.e. issue the ordered and already paid ticket without any further delays. This almost stated in a humble but also unfortunate tone. " I am very sorry but I cannot help you on the moment " I still talk about the four of us who she victimized sofar. In my case I should have flown with China Airlines on September the 12th (Bangkok - Amsterdam but that's further of no importance) The ticket was paid on August 8th. According China Airlines she had time until

the 16th of August to forfil her duty she advertised with but as we all are aware now; she failed for what ever reason.

Blame it on the boogie of any circumstance she was not able to handle any longer. No, she sounds more like a little lame bird knowing there's a mean cat arround and asking what are you going to do, or this is all theatre. In the latter she's a dam_n good player. Nobody knows who many friends she hired let say among the police force. TIT you know. There's only one but, why now, why so sudden. I am not a very old costumer but my last two tickets didn't raise any problem. Other people in my surrounding used her service for a longer periode and also no obstacles. However, this is not our concern if she deliberatly sell tickets in the knowledge what will happen, the gallow in former reply is a very mild instrument.

Edited by politepoet

My reply where I mentioned the agency is deleted....

Very strange.. since people that are only suspects of crimes are named on this forum.

In this case we are talking about somebody who actualy commits fraud and I can not name the travel agency..

So I don't understand the forum rules in this case.

I want to warn everybody but that seems inpossible.

Many shops, people are mentioned on this forum,I realy don't understand why I can't warn other forum readers about this travel agency!

Edited by kalbo123

My reply where I mentioned the agency is deleted....

Very strange.. since people that are only suspects of crimes are named on this forum.

If they are named in the media then we are just reporting it not creating it.

In this case we are talking about somebody who actualy commits fraud and I can not name the travel agency..

And we know that they "actually" committed fraud because a member says so? I will explain it simply before closing this topic. The libel laws in Thailand are serious and one can be prosecuted for libel/defamation even if true and as such the reason for not allowing naming and shaming on Thaivisa. If you see issues of this happening then use the report function as we mods can't always read everything.

//Closed due to not adhering to the rules I mentioned and commenting on moderation decision//