Pattaya Cantina Mexican Food?

bubba1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But hey how hard is Mexican surely you could do a reasonable imitation at home!
Except for a few key ingredients which are difficult to source, like masa flour, Mexican cheeses, epizote and most of the chilies (fresh and dried), I can make most of my favorites with the exception of tamales. One day I hope to open a Mexican restaurant, but I don't want to give up my current career for one that is so speculative. I've managed restaurants and kitchens in the states, but putting money at risk is a whole different matter,

I suppose one of the issues is that there isn't a big market for Mexican food in Pattaya.

For some US citizens it may well be on the radar but for many other nationalities there is no real interest in Mexican food.

Having said that it is dead easy to make Mexican dishes so it is hard to understand why most places can't even get the basics right.

Tequila Reef springs to mind as being a grand example of not having a clue when it comes to Mexican food.

Margeritas are ok but there is where it ends at TR.

Haven't tried any other places in Pattaya as i prefer Japanese and Thai food.

I must agree with Tolley on this one. The last time I was there was when he and I went there for dinner. The companionship was great but the after affects were less than pleasant.

Having said that, the best place for Mexican food I have found is in Ban Chang. A friend of mine owns the Beaver Bar on the Street of Dreams and serves an absolutely killer chicken enchilada. He was born and raised in the Rio Grande valley of Texas and knows his Tex-Mex and, no, I have no financial interest in the bar at all.

I suppose one of the issues is that there isn't a big market for Mexican food in Pattaya.

For some US citizens it may well be on the radar but for many other nationalities there is no real interest in Mexican food.

Having said that it is dead easy to make Mexican dishes so it is hard to understand why most places can't even get the basics right.

Tequila Reef springs to mind as being a grand example of not having a clue when it comes to Mexican food.

I must agree with Tolley on this one. The last time I was there was when he and I went there for dinner. The companionship was great but the after affects were less than pleasant.

Having said that, the best place for Mexican food I have found is in Ban Chang. A friend of mine owns the Beaver Bar on the Street of Dreams and serves an absolutely killer chicken enchilada. He was born and raised in the Rio Grande valley of Texas and knows his Tex-Mex and, no, I have no financial interest in the bar at all.

It's amazing the places you can find good food. I found a place in Bangkok, buried away in the back of a small soi, that also had fantastic chicken enchiladas. Went 10+ times and never saw another person there having lunch.

I am assuming this place is on that main drag with all the beer bars? I have never been, but now have an "excuse" to go! :whistling:

Thanks!

To me Taco Bell is crap on a stick, but I acknowledge there is a market for that. It isn't Mexican food though, it is American fast food, and not what most people have in mind when they are pining for a good local Mexican restaurant.

Ahh, but a Taco Bell is much better than most of the over priced Mexican crap offered in Pattaya. I haven't seen one Mexican joint here in Pattaya who could even make a decent Salsa or chips! All the dishes I've seen here aren't any better than a 'frozen dinner' dish in the US. A decent Mexican place is about the only thing I miss. I've come to the conclusion, that most expats here do not have any idea what good Mexican or TexMex food is.

It's also rather strange a Taco Bell isn't in Thailand as Pepsi, KFC, and Pizza Hut are part of the same chain.

I can't believe that anyone thinks that Tequila Reef has good Mexican food - even though a buddy of mine is a part-owner.

Agreed 100%

Overpriced and absolutely disgusting!

Went there once from a recommendation. Never will go back!

Yes, Tequila Reef is a good litmus test of bad Mexican taste. If someone says it is good, they have proven they don't know anything about Mexican food and/or they drank a pitcher of margaritas before eating (which is clearly their business model).

It's amazing the places you can find good food. I found a place in Bangkok, buried away in the back of a small soi, that also had fantastic chicken enchiladas. Went 10+ times and never saw another person there having lunch.

I am assuming this place is on that main drag with all the beer bars? I have never been, but now have an "excuse" to go! :whistling:

Thanks!

Yes, it is on the street with all the farang bars. Beaver Bar also has some good down home Texas cooking. Chicken fried steaks, spicy patty sausage, biscuits and gravy, etc.

I would be surprised if you are disappointed.

Yes, Tequila Reef is a good litmus test of bad Mexican taste. If someone says it is good, they have proven they don't know anything about Mexican food and/or they drank a pitcher of margaritas before eating (which is clearly their business model).

Funny the Lonely Planet says about the Tequila Reef, "Mexican Cantina meets California surf shack in this buzzy restuarant that dispenses Pattaya's best margaritas. It's popular with the lads from the United States Navy who probably know a thing or two about a good burrito.", probably written by somebody from the U.K. who should be writting about proper English Breakfast. Tequila Reef is horrible.

• 3 weeks later...

Having said that it is dead easy to make Mexican dishes ... That's right ... How hard can it be? ********

So ... When will there be a Beaver Bar in downtown NBLP?

Why don't you open one and regale us with more stories of your derring-do?

• 4 months later...

Ive had Mikes and in no recipe have i ever had carrots in the salsa and the carnitas were simply boiled pork(No tomatos, onions, cilantro, nada!) with sides that were entirely too salty. My visit to tequila reef was worse as i ended with a broken tooth and when i sent the rock that was in my nachos back to the kitchen my bill was updated with a side of jalapenos which came with the nachos on my first visit! Ai Corumba! Hands and feet down is the food at the Red Palm. I met the Chef and he is a bonafide chef from the good ol USA and was even born a few hours north of the border. They even make their tortillas daily. This guy even had a university degree in cheffing and certainly knows his cuisine. You guys should check it out! Soi Khaotalo north of sukhumvit. Formerly Red Palm Bistro

:(Is it true that TR only makes margeritas with mix and not fresh lime juice? Any reports on Mexican food at Bob's ?

• 2 weeks later...

We tried red palm last night...and it will be my last visit.

First of all no customers at about 1930, that almost made me leave but I would like to find a decent Mexican place someday.

The flour tortillas were as advertised, homemade and fresh. That's the good news, all the rest was sub-par to say the least.

Two smallish Margaritas were lackluster at best, my wife's Quesadilla was more like deep fried. She can make much better.

My burrito was ok, sauce so so and there were at least .000002 grams of cheese on the top, the beans were cold and the rice was soggy...not mexican rice or even close for that matter.

Chips were homemade and ok but on the thick side...all store bought salsas are better than Red Palm's. (150 Baht)

I was encouraged by a posting that stated the guy had went to chef school, he must of only went for the first day and decided it wasn't for him.

All this for 900 baht...never again.

Back to Mike's for a 2nd try....and then I give up.

BTW....there's a place in BKK....I think the name is Los Cabos, a little on the high side but the best mexican food I have had in Asia.

:ermm:

We tried red palm last night...and it will be my last visit.

First of all no customers at about 1930, that almost made me leave but I would like to find a decent Mexican place someday.

The flour tortillas were as advertised, homemade and fresh. That's the good news, all the rest was sub-par to say the least.

Two smallish Margaritas were lackluster at best, my wife's Quesadilla was more like deep fried. She can make much better.

My burrito was ok, sauce so so and there were at least .000002 grams of cheese on the top, the beans were cold and the rice was soggy...not mexican rice or even close for that matter.

Chips were homemade and ok but on the thick side...all store bought salsas are better than Red Palm's. (150 Baht)

I was encouraged by a posting that stated the guy had went to chef school, he must of only went for the first day and decided it wasn't for him.

All this for 900 baht...never again.

Back to Mike's for a 2nd try....and then I give up.

BTW....there's a place in BKK....I think the name is Los Cabos, a little on the high side but the best mexican food I have had in Asia.

:blink:Forget Mikes. Try Bobs :D

Where is Sam's?

No, I'm not joking. I heard about it, but don't know where it is.

Oh, Bob's is in Soi Lengkee. New owner recently who alleges that his Mexican food will be better than the original owners. I haven't tried it, so can't verify.

Edited by Jimmyd

The menu of Mexican dishes there (BOBS) appears exactly the same. I haven't tried with the new owner either but I looked at the menu hoping for an indication of change. Went one time with the old owner, to have a beef burrito, it was awful.

I have tried Sams. Not good!

Edited by Jingthing

The menu of Mexican dishes there (BOBS) appears exactly the same. I haven't tried with the new owner either but I looked at the menu hoping for an indication of change. Went one time with the old owner, to have a beef burrito, it was awful.

I think sam's is fantastic, it beats any place i have tried here, or in BKK. Being from So. Cal. it is really hard to compare that mexican food to what I was raised on, but I think he is doing everything possible to make it as authentic as possible. Sam seems to be a "hands on" kind of owner, at least when I eat there, and the guy knows mexican food, having owned a mexican restaurant in mexico and in San diego.

Sam's is very Americanized Mexican, not in a good way. Maybe I'll give it another try, but I am VERY surprised that anyone thinks their food is good. But, heck, some people think Tequila Reef and Blue Parrot have good Mexican food, so there's no accounting ...

I think sam's is fantastic, it beats any place i have tried here, or in BKK. Being from So. Cal. it is really hard to compare that mexican food to what I was raised on, but I think he is doing everything possible to make it as authentic as possible. Sam seems to be a "hands on" kind of owner, at least when I eat there, and the guy knows mexican food, having owned a mexican restaurant in mexico and in San diego.

:rolleyes:Where is sam's??

Los Cabos (BKK) is owned by the guy who started Tequila Reef all those years ago (Robb). It is a Cali Surf type place where Mexican is but one of a number of different cusines. La Monita is full on Mexican.

Tell us the story on Bob's Bar B Q ? Did it change hands? It's in Soi LK Metro. dam_n good under Bob.

Where is Sam's?

No, I'm not joking. I heard about it, but don't know where it is.

Oh, Bob's is in Soi Lengkee. New owner recently who alleges that his Mexican food will be better than the original owners. I haven't tried it, so can't verify.

Bob's is on Soi LK Metro which is different than Soi Lengkee.

• 4 weeks later...