Driving Safely Around Thailand

yumidesign

Well the lighting regulations state that position lights (sidelights) and registration plate lights must be lit at all times in between sunset and sunrise and that headlamps must be used everywhere, "during the hours of darkness, except on a road which is a restricted road for the purposes of section 81 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 by virtue of a system of street lighting when it is lit" (which is referring to a 30mph road in a built up area with street lamps placed not further than 200 yards apart).

Therefore, if you must have your sidelights on at all times and you do not need to use headlamps on restricted roads then it follows that on a restricted road you can drive with only your sidelights on.

Those regulations would have been in effect 10 years ago.

Heh, excellent, but will this argument wash with Corporal Somchai at the lonely checkpoint out along 202..

Edited by tommet

Well the lighting regulations state that position lights (sidelights) and registration plate lights must be lit at all times in between sunset and sunrise and that headlamps must be used everywhere, "during the hours of darkness, except on a road which is a restricted road for the purposes of section 81 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 by virtue of a system of street lighting when it is lit" (which is referring to a 30mph road in a built up area with street lamps placed not further than 200 yards apart).

Therefore, if you must have your sidelights on at all times and you do not need to use headlamps on restricted roads then it follows that on a restricted road you can drive with only your sidelights on.

Heh, excellent, but will this argument wash with Corporal Somchai at the lonely checkpoint out along 202..

UK local regulations does not apply in EU, nor in LOS:)

The UK driving test is 100 years old this week, we do not need any advice from Johnny Foreigner thank you!.

Its two Brits squabbling anyway.

The UK driving test is 100 years old this week, we do not need any advice from Johnny Foreigner thank you!.

as a teenager visiting UK I always wondered why brits where driving on the wrong side of the roads with only their parking/position/sidelights on at night. Now I know:D

If you look at world figures for traffic related casualties, you'll see that countries like Germany Holland and UK are amounts the "safest" in the world.

THis is not down to any intrinsic skills that other nations don't have, it's down to traffic engineering and to some extent education.

If you look at the traffic engineering in these countries it is streets ahead, not just Thailand but also US Australia and the likes.

all this crap about "how to drive" is just a load of rubbish by people who think they are "good" drivers, or really that think they are in sone way "better" than Thai drivers.

Making these ad hoc lists of rules n how to drive in Thailand is more likely a sign of a BAD driver.

I'm not giving any advice, I was just clarifying the law in the UK, which incidentally is an EU member (hence my contention that driving on sidelights is not illegal in every EU country).

100 years old or not, the UK driving test is a dam_n sight more comprehensive than the ridiculous, 'drive around a car park and do a bit of parallel parking' effort that they have over here.

With regard to the OP, I see no reason at all to go to the extremes of parking your car outside of Bangkok and using public transport. I'm sure there are many of us who are quite happy to drive around Bangkok and manage to do so without having an accident (but not using only our sidelights of course).

Edited by inthepink

If you look at world figures for traffic related casualties, you'll see that countries like Germany Holland and UK are amounts the "safest" in the world.

THis is not down to any intrinsic skills that other nations don't have, it's down to traffic engineering and to some extent education.

I am not sure what you mean by traffic engineering but surely the reason is the way cameras and technology are used by governments to raise revenue. Essentially this is good as it has the added benefit of slowing down traffic and reducing accidents. A few years ago in London I was given the choice of Speed Awareness Training or a fine and penalty points for being filmed at 32 MPH in a 30 zone at 04:28 am. It felt like paying a bribe. I took the training, at a cost of 80 GBP, and have to say I really enjoyed it . Central theme was there is a huge difference between hitting a pedestrian at 30 MPH and 40 MPH; at 30 MPH 80 % survive, at 40 MPH it was sigificantly lower.

driving here in LOS is something else. Basically you really have to have your wits about you. Only the other day I drove out of our school building; there only is a left turn as the right turn is fenced off. You can't do it. It means there isn't a right turn into the school. Does that stop em? Nope I turn into an oncoming pickup on the wrong side, my side, intent on taking the right into the school. To do this he has driven up the wrong side of the road for about 100 meters. I got done in BKK for driving on the wrong side of the road. I crossed a white line into the other side whwile overtaking. When the plod advised me that I was being done for this I really couldn't stop laughing. I gave him 200 baht and drove on.....better than penalty points and training or even a prosecution.

I am not sure what you mean by traffic engineering but surely the reason is the way cameras and technology are used by governments to raise revenue. Essentially this is good as it has the added benefit of slowing down traffic and reducing accidents. A few years ago in London I was given the choice of Speed Awareness Training or a fine and penalty points for being filmed at 32 MPH in a 30 zone at 04:28 am. It felt like paying a bribe. I took the training, at a cost of 80 GBP, and have to say I really enjoyed it . Central theme was there is a huge difference between hitting a pedestrian at 30 MPH and 40 MPH; at 30 MPH 80 % survive, at 40 MPH it was sigificantly lower.

driving here in LOS is something else. Basically you really have to have your wits about you. Only the other day I drove out of our school building; there only is a left turn as the right turn is fenced off. You can't do it. It means there isn't a right turn into the school. Does that stop em? Nope I turn into an oncoming pickup on the wrong side, my side, intent on taking the right into the school. To do this he has driven up the wrong side of the road for about 100 meters. I got done in BKK for driving on the wrong side of the road. I crossed a white line into the other side whwile overtaking. When the plod advised me that I was being done for this I really couldn't stop laughing. I gave him 200 baht and drove on.....better than penalty points and training or even a prosecution.

If I have time I'll get back on this because you raise some points here

1 - what is traffic engineering

2 - the UK tends to look at speed and alcohol as the 2 main factors in road safety - this is a police obsession. (You are quite correct in your examples of course)

3 - You've actually given a example of Thai traffic engineering.

4 - I get really sick and tired of these examples of how "Thai" drive....as "we" are good at driving and "they" are bad.

5 - You bribed a policeman - this is something that almost everyone in Thailand has done - do you consider that OK??????

Edited by Deeral

I agree with most but

I try to always drive alone. Being alone means i can do what I want, when i want. It also makes it easier to meet locals when ur alone

Usually start my day at about 10 am and start looking for a place to stay about 4.

Never drive wiht parking lights unless its rainy or foggy ( up north)

Except for the trips from Phuket to Pattaya ( 11 hours) and then 4 hours to Cambodia.

Been on the road here and in Cambodia and Laos here with my Hinda Civic for voer 15 years driving and love it!!!

MOst of the above and your advice fits for driving anywhere. There is nothing unique about driving in Thailand,

Now India, Thats another matter.....

"MOst of the above and your advice fits for driving anywhere. There is nothing unique about driving in Thailand," - this is the key point.

If you think there are rules that apply to driving in Thailand then you really need to learn to drive...not just go with the flow in your home country.If you find driving in thailand difficult or exceptional it is really down you your own (lack of) driving skills - as a "competent" driver you should be able to handle all this and writing lists is just a sign of not appreciating your own limits and what is going on around you.

Just one more tip which many many people do forget in this warm climate of Thailand.

CHECK YOUR TYRE PRESSURE OVER AND OVER AGAIN....

Due to the warm weather and the heat, tyres loose a lot of air here in Thailand. Low pressure

can cause some dangerous situations while driving in addition to the crazy Thai drivers.

"MOst of the above and your advice fits for driving anywhere. There is nothing unique about driving in Thailand," - this is the key point.

If you think there are rules that apply to driving in Thailand then you really need to learn to drive...not just go with the flow in your home country.If you find driving in thailand difficult or exceptional it is really down you your own (lack of) driving skills - as a "competent" driver you should be able to handle all this and writing lists is just a sign of not appreciating your own limits and what is going on around you.

And if you thank it's bad in Thailand to drive I can show you worst countries.

And if you thank it's bad in Thailand to drive I can show you worst countries.

EH? - where do I suggest that driving in Thailand is "bad"?

Just one more tip which many many people do forget in this warm climate of Thailand.

Due to the warm weather and the heat, tyres loose a lot of air here in Thailand. Low pressure

can cause some dangerous situations while driving in addition to the crazy Thai drivers.

Yet another load of b*****cks.

tyres will INCREASE in pressure due to heat - but this is particularly not relevant to the climate in Thailand.

Tyre pressures should be checked regularly when the tyre is "cold" - i.e. normal early morning - not after the car has just been driven.

CHANGES in temperature can affect tyre pressure - but Thailand significantly does not have the great changes in temperature such as those that Northern Hemisphere countries experience - e.g. season to season.

The manufactures tryre pressures will usually be on a sticker by the door....these are what you should use.

Do NOT under inflate your tyres and do not over inflate - both cause problems.....(for some reason or other in Thailand people are obsessed withOVER-inflating their tyres).

Few people seem to check their tyres as often as they should but this is not exclusively a Thai trait - it is worldwide.

Regarding driving with your parking lights or headlights on. I like to drive on highways and country roads with headlights on during the day and have done this several times in Thailand's but have received a lot of headlight flashing in return. On another post on TV i read a post that said it was illegal to drive with your headlights on in daylight as this is reserved for police , emergency vehicles and government officials . Can anybody clarify this ??

Also as a postscript - i really like the LED lights surrounding the headlights of the new Audi's and Mercs and solves the problem of headlights/parking lights in daylight. A bit of intelligent design . . Unfortunately i can't afford one of these cars yet.!!!

Yes, the new LED lights must be good for Thai who do not change their light when broken or dead and keep driving without lights at all, because i guess that these new BMW BENZ AUDI LED lights will stop working one by one and not all at the same time, and the Thai driver might have few years to see and understand that he must change his car lights...

And about the OP, interesting post, but in my opinion Bangkok is just more dangerous because more crowded, not because these people are worst drivers, and i don't understand why not speaking Thai with the police ?

Also, anybody thinking that he can drive fast in Thailand is just stupid, and i also think that i am stupid to drive at 200kmh in Europe, but at least it is safe there.

Finally, nobody has talked about the right lane in Thailand, it's incredible that all these retarded drivers think that they have the right to drive on the most right lane when this lane should only be used to pass cars that drive in the middle, then you should go back to your lane. If i was a copper i would shoot them (because i would also know that being a copper i do what it want!)

If your worried about tyre pressures, get them filled with nitrogen instead of air, most Cockpit service centres now have this capability, nitrogen is claimed to have the following benefits.

1. Better handling and road holding

2. Reduces tread wear and increases tyre life by up to 25%

3. Correct inflation pressures reduce puncture risk by up to 33%

4. Reduced rolling resistance improves miles per gallon by 2%

5. Improved pressure retention

If your worried about tyre pressures, get them filled with nitrogen instead of air, most Cockpit service centres now have this capability, nitrogen is claimed to have the following benefits.

1. Better handling and road holding

2. Reduces tread wear and increases tyre life by up to 25%

3. Correct inflation pressures reduce puncture risk by up to 33%

4. Reduced rolling resistance improves miles per gallon by 2%

5. Improved pressure retention

Hi,

Thank, i didn't know about this, and how much does it cost ?

Then when your tyres loose some nitrogen is it possible to refill with just air ?

Thanks.

Yet again this is essentially  <deleted> and a waste of money.....

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has seen reduced aging of tires filled with nitrogen. Though the data does support that passenger car tires could benefit by all the claims made for nitrogen, tire manufacturers say that they already design tires to perform well with air inflation. And while nitrogen will do no harm, manufacturers say that they don't see the need to use nitrogen, which generally adds $5 or more per tire charge."

If you inflate your tirtes correctly and check them - they are designed to work with AIR in them....which is about 80% nitrogen anyway

Edited by Deeral

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has seen reduced aging of tires filled with nitrogen. Though the data does support that passenger car tires could benefit by all the claims made for nitrogen, tire manufacturers say that they already design tires to perform well with air inflation. And while nitrogen will do no harm, manufacturers say that they don't see the need to use nitrogen, which generally adds $5 or more per tire charge."

If you inflate your tirtes correctly and check them - they are designed to work with AIR in them....which is about 80% nitrogen anyway

That is absolutely true!

Save that money and get a Tire-pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

I had it on my lexus in the States. My tires were also filled with nitrogen from factory.

When my TPMS light came on, I just filled it at the gas station.

Low tire pressure robs you of gas mileage, weaken performance during rain (tire thread can't force water out), and increase tire wear from deforming tires.

That is absolutely true!

Save that money and get a Tire-pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

I had it on my lexus in the States. My tires were also filled with nitrogen from factory.

When my TPMS light came on, I just filled it at the gas station.

Low tire pressure robs you of gas mileage, weaken performance during rain (tire thread can't force water out), and increase tire wear from deforming tires.

The idea that nitrogen saves the tyre from oxidization is also fallacious as the OUTSIDE of thee tyre which is exposed to the open air wears down much faster than the inside which is designed to cope with this anyway.

Some things in your list are good, others are wrong

1. Drive defensively - Agree. Be humble, it's not helping you if you can say - but it was his fault when you are sitting in a wheel chair for the rest of your life

2. Never drive at night - WRONG. Drink driving is a big problem and evenings and late evenings are therefore bad, nights are not bad though. Avoid driving evenings and late evenings - RIGHT. After midnight - 1 AM: Nights are quiet periods with little traffic and safer than high traffic periods or drinking periods - that would be 7 AM to 9:30 AM, lunch time, 4 PM to 7 PM and 7 PM to midnight. That would leave us with 9:30 to 12, and 1PM to 4PM. Nights are safe periods, 4 AM is safer than 11 AM, if you are alert and not tired.

3. Only drive for 4-5 hours per day ?? Depends totally on how much experience you have, driving conditions etc. To put that cap on number of driving hours is rediculous. Some shouldn't drive more because they get tired and loose concentration, others easily drive 10 hours per day, responsible drivers reduce the number of hours if wether is bad as it makes the driver more tired

4. Start at 11 AM - Wrong, there are much less thaffic at 4 AM, why not start that time?

5. Be extra alert close to BKK - Agree

6. Don't speed - Agree. Your stay below 90 km/h is wrong though, sometimes 90 km/h is too high, some times it is too low. It is othen more dangerous to stick out, regardless of if it is faster or slower than other drivers

7. Use your horn and flash beam - Depends - if you use your horn on me only because you want to pass me when I drive on my motorcycle then I will show you my foot, enjoy the mirror. I have been driving for over 300,000 km in 40 provinces in Thailand for nearly 20 years, if you assume that I need that, then I correctly so assume that you deserve my foot

8. Parking lights on while driving - WRONG. Parking lights are for parking for those who didn't know. There is a law in Thailand that says that motorcycles must drive with their primary lights on day and night now. All countries where this has been made a law show drop in accidents, then some smart guy made the assocoation that maybe it applies to cars to and they implemented the same law for cars. Bingo, would you believe it, statistics showed that car accidents went down too. The law in Thailand states when you have to turn your lights on, there is nothing in the law saying that you can't have it on all the time if you want. Decide yourself in the name of safety what is necessary

9. Indicator - Agree

10. Never speak Thai - WRONG. I speak thai with my daughter and my wife and all nearly all my friends, why shouldn't I do the same with the police? I do try to drive as safely as possible at all times but if I have done something wrong, then I stand for that. People who aren't prepared to do that can try the no understand path if they want, I hope it doesn't work if they actually have done something and if they haven't, then I can only say sorry, hasn't happend to me in nearly 20 years though. Always be polite whatever is very important, good advice

11. Don't drive alone - WRONG. Everybody agree that talking on a mobile while driving takes concentration away from the driving to some extent, studies have shown that talking to the passenger sitting beside you does the same actually. A responsible driver can drive either alone or with passengers, doesn't matter because he is responsible and prioritise safety at all times

12. Full insurance - Agree

- Your comment - In the event of an accident the foreigner will always be judged as being in the wrong no matter what the circumstances may be. Stupid comment only showing how inexperienced you are in Thailand. Polite westerners who know how to behave are not judged as being in the wrong no matter circumstances

13. Don't drive on rain soaked mountain roads after the dry season - WRONG. I frequently do as I work in Bangkok and have the extended family in Loei. I passPhu Rua perhaps 15 times per year, regardless of season, rain or not. Of course the roads are more slippery than normal when the first rains come - that apply everywhere. Experienced drivers know this and take it into consideration everywhere, not just on mountain roads

Good write-up yumidesign, thanks, hope you didn't mind that I made some changes :) Enjoy or disagree, my priority is to drive safely always and as safely as possible always.

Edited by MikeyIdea

Sir!, your reply is 'wrong', long winded and pompous in the extreme, this is a forum and within reason everyone is entitled to their opinions.

With your vast experience of life in Thailand and motoring pedigree (40 province's and many km's etc etc) you are also allowed to express your musings too!.

Agree to disagree by all means.

If you are going to construct "War and Peace" style replies please give some thought to spacing and paragraphs.

Yours in anticipation of being informed that I am 'wrong':whistling:

Jeremy Clarkson

The Sun

Wapping

England

Also disagree with refusing to speak Thai - if you can, do it, and always start off by saying "ohor.. mai pben motorway lor krup?" breaks the ice and lets them know they won't have a problem getting money at the window, and that you won't be paying tourist rates

I dont understand the "mai bpen motorway lor krup?" What are you trying to say?

Good write-up yumidesign, thanks, hope you didn't mind that I made some changes :) Enjoy or disagree, my priority is to drive safely always and as safely as possible always.

Sir!, your reply is 'wrong', long winded and pompous in the extreme, this is a forum and within reason everyone is entitled to their opinions.

With your vast experience of life in Thailand and motoring pedigree (40 province's and many km's etc etc) you are also allowed to express your musings too!.

Agree to disagree by all means.

If you are going to construct "War and Peace" style replies please give some thought to spacing and paragraphs.

Yours in anticipation of being informed that I am 'wrong':whistling:

Jeremy Clarkson

The Sun

Wapping

England

My priority is to drive safely always and as safely as possible always. There are many westerners who express concern about driving in Thailand, their opinion about how to drive as safely as possible, as well as my opinion, change as experience grows. I am happy to share my experience and I hope that other people can benefit from it. There is hard-earned experience coming from thousands of hours of driving in Thailand behind what I write, If you don't want to read it, don't. I am still glad that I spent some time writing it and sharing it. yumidesign spent quite some time writing about a very important subject, thanks, we have different opinions, no problem, now other people can weigh what we both think and decide themselves what is the safest way to drive in Thailand. Good.

I don't recall informing you that you were wrong phutoie2, you misunderstood, I didn't reply to anything you wrote

• 1 month later...

You make some interesting comments and this could well be a lively topic!

Well lets hope so, its got to be better than 'Ford cancelled my warranty':ph34r:

A friend of my wife has just successfully received her Thai driving licence (1 year), she paid 5000 Baht for a week long crash!! course, guess how many hours were spent on the local roads??

Answer - Nil, the few hours she did get to drive her vehicle was on a driving circuit at the licencing office.

lol classic

Can't be arsed to respond to the entire post as some have done but without question definitely a related post to the OP, not for everyone :rolleyes: .. Sounds like a PS campaign I might see in a western country..

I will say that I mostly drive long distances at night, it's cooler, less stressful with fewer cars on the road so much so that even any so called drunks are completely avoidable with plenty of space for all to be had... It's up to you to be the defensive driver in all cases anyways...

Edited by WarpSpeed