3 Thai Cities Shortlisted To Host World Expo 2020

webfact

TOURISM

3 cities shortlisted for World Expo 2020

By Suchat Sritama

The Nation

Ayutthaya, Chon Buri and Petchburi are shortlisted as the host city for the World Expo 2020, after Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau (TCEB)'s 6-month study.

Ayutthaya's advantage lies in its proximity to Bangkok, but a disadvantage is it is flood-prone. Meanwhile, Chon Buri (Pattaya) is not far from Suvarnabhumi Airport and close to the deep seaport. Chiang Mai had the experience in hosting the Royal Expo, but if it is chosen, more infrastructure needs to be developed, according to Akapol Sorasuchart, TCEB president.

"These three provinces boast good infrastructure, accommodation, local hospitality and potential expansion after the event, " Akapol said at the press conference today. "At this stage, Ayutthaya is ranked No.1, followed by Chon Buri and Chiang Mai."

The choices would be submitted to the Cabinet on August 24.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-19

Ayutthaya, Chon Buri and Petchburi are shortlisted
Ayutthaya is ranked No.1, followed by Chon Buri and Chiang Mai.

Chiang Mai isn't even short listed and it's still ranked ahead of Petchaburi.

Has Thailand already been selected to host World Expo in 2020? If not, then I would suggest that the 3 cities have been short listed to be put forward as Thai candidates to host World Expo 2020.

Has Thailand already been selected to host World Expo in 2020? If not, then I would suggest that the 3 cities have been short listed to be put forward as Thai candidates to host World Expo 2020.

No, it hasn't, they won't be deciding for years yet who gets it.

It cost Shanghai millions of s to host this years. I really don't see Thailand putting up the sort of money that is required.

As for Chiang Mai even being considered, the elites would never let that happen.

It's bringing as well a lot of $$$... even myself visited Shanghai in July B)

Sound investment IF well planned.

There is great potential for Thailand here -- to clean up an embarrassing mess, and make a glorious splash in the world tourism market.

Select Chonburi .

Send in the bulldozers, and level Pattaya. Then make it into a truly world class expo site.

Edited by tigermonkey

It cost Shanghai millions of $'s to host this years. I really don't see Thailand putting up the sort of money that is required.

Not millions of dollars :o

Who are you Dr Evil?

Without further investigation no idea, but most countries seem to spent at least 500 - 1,000 million $$ for infrastructure, etc. With correct planning lots of $$ spent will benefit the site choosen afterwards. Having said this I think Thailand has better things to do than trying to get the World Expo in 2020.

Ayutthaya, Chon Buri and Petchburi are shortlisted
Ayutthaya is ranked No.1, followed by Chon Buri and Chiang Mai.

Chiang Mai isn't even short listed and it's still ranked ahead of Petchaburi.

Another absolutely CRAP piece of journalism from The Notion........... 55555. What are these f8king guys up tooo. Seriously.

Where in the hel_l did they get Petchaburi from!

If they select Chon Buri that would be fantastic! It could be the hub for a high speed monorail that stretches from Rayong, through Bangkok to Hua Hin....so new visitors to Thailand would see far more in their limited time than we normally do now.

"These three provinces boast good infrastructure, accommodation, local hospitality and potential expansion after the event, "

Interestingly, they also offer the best variety of venereal diseases. Truly world class.

Chiang Mai had the experience in hosting the Royal Expo, but if it is chosen, more infrastructure needs to be developed, according to Akapol Sorasuchart, TCEB president

Just what infrastructure are we talking about?... the only plus from this perspective for Chonburi or Ayuthaya is the proximity of the capital. In-house transport is the same as anywhere, although, granted, the public transport system within Chiang Mai and environs is <deleted>. The road network is top-notch, though, and the hotels, restaurants and cultural heritage are well up there.