Thai Fishermen

kenny999

I have been fishing my local lake for a very long time and still do not catch any where near as much as the Thai''s do, how do they do it, what do they use? can any Thai fisherman on this forum can offer advice...

Assume your local pond is Phuket Fishing Park? What bait you are using? Your's or pond's?

Yes Sawai Lake

I have used there bait with limited results,

I now always use my own bait which on 1 occasion was very good, but I still feel the Thai's just have something special

I used to fish there till I got bored. Pretty good catch rate. Whether you use their bait or your own mix a little cheap "aquarium" fish food pellets or chicken feed-bought this at Big C at By pass road. Or you could buy them at the pond-which I don't-at 100baht for a small bag. Soak it with pond water for a few minutes till soft then mix it with your bait. Lenght of line from hook to "bomb" between 5" to 8" and hook with crust of bread. A size 3 hook should do big hooks can only catch big fishes but small hooks can catch small and big.

Change bait every 15 to 20 minutes and cast at same spot as then you built up an area with your "dissolved" bait. Like chumming.

Have not been there for a few weeks. How is the bite and catch rate? Thought you went to Bungsamran-here is a place where hook is bare just the "bomb"

post-110955-096278000 1282219286_thumb.j

post-110955-026714900 1282219376_thumb.j

I used to fish there till I got bored. Pretty good catch rate. Whether you use their bait or your own mix a little cheap "aquarium" fish food pellets or chicken feed-bought this at Big C at By pass road. Or you could buy them at the pond-which I don't-at 100baht for a small bag. Soak it with pond water for a few minutes till soft then mix it with your bait. Lenght of line from hook to "bomb" between 5" to 8" and hook with crust of bread. A size 3 hook should do big hooks can only catch big fishes but small hooks can catch small and big.

Change bait every 15 to 20 minutes and cast at same spot as then you built up an area with your "dissolved" bait. Like chumming.

Have not been there for a few weeks. How is the bite and catch rate? Thought you went to Bungsamran-here is a place where hook is bare just the "bomb"

[/quo

Using my own bait recently I caught 23 fish and lost over 10 more I have never done that using the lakes bait, I have also caught a reasonable size Mekong something very few people have done there, I am trying a new mix of bait tomorrow as I just dont think the lakes bait can produce a big catch just on it's own, Eck at the lake will not tell you what the Thai's use and considering I go there a lot and pay 3 times more than the Thai's it's not good customer service but then they don't care as long as I keep paying,

I am fishing right but I would rather use my own bait that makes you feel you have achieved something rather than copy the Thai's who I think will never tell you what they are using, at the competition last Monday all the Thai's caught many many fish where we caught very little, of course the winning Thai loved it as he walked away with 5000 bht. anyway I will keep using my own bait and hopefully get the big Mekong eventually.

Going to Bungsanram lake 13th 14th September where hopefully I will learn all about the way to fish here in Thailand..

Edited by kenny999

My husband is an avid fisherman. and I do mean avid. And while he doesn't fish lakes, only ocean, his constant nattering on about fishing has taught me that its not just about bait, but time of day, how the water is moving, weather conditions, the time of year determines what bait the fish will take.

Why not get friendly with one of your local fishermen and see if he will pass on some of his local knowledge?

<P>The next fish you catch cut open its stomach and inspect the kinds of food that fish chooses to feed upon. Match the food and use that for bait. Good luck</P>

Not sure the lake owner would be to happy with that advice.

Going back a number of years when I used to do more fishing than I do now, when it came to competition time the owners of some parks would get in cahoots with the anglers and share the prizes. Thus, the parks didn't lose so much and made sure that their regulars were happy. What they did was feed certain areas of the pond for a week before competition using a very specific bait and used mothballs in other areas just a day before the competition. Thus, when the time of the competition came round the fish were only biting where the feeding had been done and the regulars were told in advance where to set up.

As to actual baits that the Thais are using, I think you will find that they are using pretty much the same as you. I have found that it is quite easy to get tips from the locals, but then I speak the language. One bait that was recommended by a local for fishing parks and worked well for me was 1kg new fine rice bran, 1 small 5Baht bag of Ajinomoto (monosodium glutamate), two chikens eggs and one carton of coconut milk. Even Thai fish are fed MSG. :D