Towels

KMixon

Hey guys. We have just recently moved to CM and are having a difficult time finding basic items, most important being towels. We are off canal road by the convention condo. I know there are tesco lotus' and big c's but from what i have seen online, none are really conveniently located to us. so, if anyone has any suggestion's where we might be able to just hop on the scooter and pick up random things here and there, i would appreciate it! thanks!

I am truly bewildered by this request! Towels? Just towels ?!

OP needs to rent a tuk tuk for the day and just cruise around town! There is a rather unfortunate addition to the Lanna cultural scene of two massive shopping centers and heaven only knows how many truly huge "cheap" stores where some clerks wear roller skates to get around! They certainly are convenient, but one might just as well be in the suburbs of America, the UK, Canada and Australia --- just to name a couple of places which unfortunately have exported their shopping culture. Don't get me started on 7/11 and MacDonalds !! I am hardly a purist, but OY!

Then again, running around the flat naked for a little while might do the trick!

• Like 1

For expensive good quality ones go to Airport Plaza - Robinson or Kad Suan Kaew -Central

Not difficult. you can also buy kettles, toasters, grills, coffeemakers,cups and plates there

Edited by msg362

When we first moved here we outfitted our place with many items from Central Dept store at KSK. Sure, we could have run all over town looking for cheaper sheets, towels, toaster oven, rice cooker, etc, but it was handy to find it all in one place in a nice setting with some staffers who spoke English. When we had problems with a few items, they were very good about working with us and they special ordered some items from BKK, like when we wanted two fans of a certain model and they only had one. We lived closer to KSK, so maybe they won't do this for the OP, but they delivered and set up the larger items (like a refrigerator) at no charge.

First, thank you for the advice that was helpful. Second, we have scooted around our neighborhood and, alas, no towels. I also understand how one might conclude I want something handed to me, with no effort on my part, but I was simply asking for towels in an area that wasn't so far away. No need to second guess my intelligence, or be insulting.

Again, thanks to those who offered helpful advice. You are much appreciated.

"Yes, no need to be insulting. I am looking for a small spring and towels. Where can I get them? Preferably near San PaKoi".

Dear Getgoin, I live in San Pakoi, no towels here to buy as far as I know but I cycle in 35 minutes to Airport plaza, They have good quality, many times with discount, at Robinsons 4th floor.

I can do the shopping for you if you are not able to do it yourself. I don't know what kind of spring you need but I can think along with you.

Edited by Joop50

First, thank you for the advice that was helpful. Second, we have scooted around our neighborhood and, alas, no towels. I also understand how one might conclude I want something handed to me, with no effort on my part, but I was simply asking for towels in an area that wasn't so far away. No need to second guess my intelligence, or be insulting.

Again, thanks to those who offered helpful advice. You are much appreciated.

Hi KMixon

Welcome to Chiang Mai. I would guess that the Kad Suan Kaew shopping mall is nearest to where you live. You will find everything you require in there.

Kad Suan Kaew (Central)

Central Department Store is the largest occupant of this multi storey shopping complex. The centre has a Hotel, Bowling Alley, and Karaoke section and a multiplex Cinema. It is also home to Chiang Mai's first theatre, Kad Theatre. Banks, coffee shops and restaurants are in plentiful supply and there are 2 popular food courts. As with Airport Plaza, the majority of goods on offer are International imports.

Open: 11am - 9pm

21 Huay Kaew Rd., Suthep, Muang, Chiang Mai

053-224444

http://www.chiangmaichimes.com/shopping_1.html

Another way if you are still finding your feet in the area, is to jump on a red taxi to Kad Suan Kaew. It shouldn`t cost any more then 30 baht each way from where you live.

No problem, once you get used to the area and feel your way round a bit. Just a matter of time.

Kad Suan Kaew is the best placed of the biggies for you, op. Central having the best choice.

For expensive good quality ones go to Airport Plaza - Robinson

Yep, some beauties on top floor.

Yeah, just kidding around. Best towels are at Index Mall near Carefore. Expensive but good.

Defo the best selection in town, just in front of the check-outs. Go from around 200 baht up to a grand or more.

We live near Warorot Market now and I haven't seen any shop here with the selection of Central or Robinson's if you want good quality towels, with matching bath towels, hand towels, face towels (multiples of each) and a bath mat that matches. I must admit that I haven't checked this forum often in the past several days, so I missed the snarky comments that must have been posted if I read between the lines of the mods' comments. But, there are some of us who came here to live a nice life, not just a cheap life. Good quality, beautiful clean towels are a cheap luxury!

i just send the maids and servants out for mine, saves an awful lot of unnecessary legwork, golly what shall i do with this awful rain today, ahhh the bubble i live in will protect me, jees i'm so fortunate.

Actually the best quality towels at affordable prices, plus linens like duvet covers fitted and non-fitted sheets, all-white or white herringbone, are the Makro brand. Thick, absorbent and down right nice. Why not check them out, in white only, made for the hotel sector, and our household. Do not confuse the Makro brand always in a separate cache, with the colorful vinyl synthetics that repel water in the floor displays similar to most sold at Thai markets and the like. Cheers.

If you came from Worrorot Mkt, cross the bridge [going eastward over Nakornping bridge], I think the 3rd or 4th traffic light is the entrance to the Arcade Bus Station. There is a shop there on the right as you turn into the bus station that has thousands of towels all over the front and side of the place. Looks like some factory outlet place or place that sells seconds. Thats factory seconds, not second hand. Tood prices and sizes galore.

Good luck Hop on your scooter and scoot over there for a eyeball session. Save you some money and you can get the better ones after you get settled in and familiar with the towell geography.

Gonzo

Getting cheaper towels here is not cost effective. Mine (from Carrefour, at first) shed like crazy and got thin quickly. On the other hand, quality types for which I overpaid at HomePro (to get something delivered, I added a few items) are wonderful.

I also have heard good things about Makro in-store linens.

Meanwhile, I've got to use an ironing board on a white shirt that somehow found its way into the washing machine with a new (fluffy and cheap) towel. Lint rollers are not cheap and don't last forever. Cheap towels my foot.

So OP is correct in searching, though the drive to Makro will not be short from the west side.

Edited by CMX

If you live close to Kad Suan Kaew than you probably also live close to Export 71, a large "factory outlet"-type store that has clothing and other items that (I guess) are made in factories in our neighboring countries for clothing stores in the west. I've seen items from J. Crew, Old Navy, and many other brands at Export 71.

One thing I noticed on my last trip there is TOWELS. I didn't investigate further, but they did appear to be large, thick, and nice. I plan to return soon and check them out further, as towels are also on my "need" list (who knew we all needed towels so badly? LOL). I'm currently using towels from Tesco, which I've had for about 9 months now. After about 6 months, those Tesco towels have started to stink after I've used them only 2 days! (Not sure if it's the towel quality or the washing machine quality, honestly.)

Export 71 is on Huay Kaew Road on the left side if you're heading away from the moat toward Doi Suthep. It's just before the intersection with Canal Road. Good luck in your quest!

• Like 1

AS with bed linen, towels need to be washed hot to clean properly, remove bacteria etc. Also makes them feel better. If you have one of those useless top-loader things, bung a few kettles-ful on top.

Actually the best quality towels at affordable prices, plus linens like duvet covers fitted and non-fitted sheets, all-white or white herringbone, are the Makro brand. Thick, absorbent and down right nice. Why not check them out, in white only, made for the hotel sector, and our household. Do not confuse the Makro brand always in a separate cache, with the colorful vinyl synthetics that repel water in the floor displays similar to most sold at Thai markets and the like. Cheers.

Thanks for this. Rarely shop at Makro, bar the pharmacy, as it's a pain to check out and a little bit tacky. Did, however, pick up a bunch of those towels and they are indeed hotel quality, with a tight nap and thick. Also have the proper-job cotton sheets. ;)

AS with bed linen, towels need to be washed hot to clean properly, remove bacteria etc. Also makes them feel better. If you have one of those useless top-loader things, bung a few kettles-ful on top.

Ah, I wish I had my own washing machine! Maybe at the next place I rent... I guess the person who does my laundry also does not use hot water then... hmm. Time for me to dig up that recent thread about good laundry services in CM. Thanks for the tip JackR!

• Like 1

^ 'useless top-loader things'. Why are these useless? Are front-loading machines better: I note they seem much more expensive. Cheers

Yes they are better, But some people don't care how long their clothes last or if they are really clean.

I used to go back and forth from the U.S. to Thailand and brought enough quality towels for my 4 bathrooms and quality sheets, pillows and mattress covers for the 6 beds that I have. As these won't last forever (and my trips are less frequent), I'll have to try Marco and some of the other suggestions. The only time that I've bought towels were at markets and I wasn't impressed.