3G Iphone Jailbroken And Unlocked

ricklev

I took an American 3G iPhone to MBK and got it unlocked and jailbroken and they loaded 120 apps including Cydia.

Took it to True and got the postpaid package, Everything seems to be working as it should.

First time I ever had an iPhone. I have no idea what Cydia is, but I know its important.....

I can't really figure out if I screwed Cydia it up when I first opened it but I sure can't figure out what's what. It takes forever to load, give me error messages I don't understand, can't find any installer icon etc.

I synced the phone ok with iTunes, and downloaded a free app, but I can't figure out how to get it on the iPhone or even if I should be able to?

iTunes says if I sync the apps it will delete all of the other apps on the phone. Actually that's ok with me. Can I delete all of the apps from MBK or do some of them have something to do with making the unlock/jailbreak work?

If I do delete all the apps, how do I reinstall Cydia?

Thahks for your time, if you are inclined to anwer...... Treat me like an idiot please, I got no idea here and googling about jailbreaking and Cydia and iTunes just confuses me more.....

Thanks!

Edited by ricklev

Cydia is an applications store for jailbroken iphones.. I suppose a large number of the 120 apps on your phone came from Cydia so everytime you open Cydia, it is going to check and try to update all of the apps, which could take a long time. I would suggest that you delete all of the apps that you have no interest in. This should solve most of your Cydia issues. On my jailbroken iphone, I cannot delete Cydia even if i want to.

i would be very carefull of what you are doing you will end up locking the phone completely, it is well documented on here have a look at some of the other i phone threads alot off people thionk the jailbroken phones are not worth the hassle that comes with them...............

good luck

I have the same set up. The one thing I have learnt not to do it is update the phone operating system through ITunes , I did it once and wiped every thing. Go back to your shop at MBK and get them to sort it out, its much less stress. The shop that sold me my phone still updates the O/S for free , it usually takes an hour or so and is not something you have to do often.

You can manage your Iphone in ITunes. you can add photos , songs , videos and books, move applications around the various pages and keep the phone tidy.

If you try to load in a new application that requires the latest OS version then it will look like it loads and then it will disappear and error messages will appear.

120 apps is a lot and as another person suggested , deleting those apps you don't want is a good place to start.

Thanks for your replies.

You know I just can't find an answer, using google, to the simple question of whether or not I should be able to load apps from itunes onto a jaibroken phone. My itunes app page is frozen when synced with my iPhone. I did delete most of the apps from the phone. Is that normal?

Edited by ricklev

• 5 weeks later...

OK, so I figured out how to get the App Store working on the phone but not on itunes.

Wow! This thing is really cool. I see why people are so into it....

what ever you do, do not update to os4 stay at 3.13 or you will begin to hate the phone.

OK, so ya, the only way to get apps from itunes on your pc to your iphone is to let itunes erase your current apps from another pc, you are simply not allowed to have apps from 2 accounts and 2 computers. Thats all there is to it. So when itunes asks to delete and replace ALL your itunes apps you click YES. This will NOT delete any cydia apps at all, they are completely seperate. Someone mentioned most of your apps are probably from cydia, no they probably are not, when you replace your apps you will lose most of the apps they put on at mbk, but so what, they suck and you can download any good ones again. You need to make your own itunes account if you want to buy and download free itunes apps on your pc from itunes.

Dont ever update the software of your iphone in itunes. It will relock your phone.

Ive sent you a pm to further explain.