Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Can You Buy Lampshades ?

partington

Ok then, so unabashed by making an arse of myself by not being able to find chlorine bleach when it was clearly written on the bottle, I have a new question. I'm in an apartment with really awful knackered, black yes black lampshades dating from God knows when. They look awful. So I wanted to stick on a couple of fresh new ones with a warm orange yellow colour. But after going to Carrefour ,Home Pro, Tesco (yes my favourite), Jusco, J&J market, and big C I cannot find anywhere that sells just lampshades, you seem to have to buy a whole new lamp as well.

Is this a valid observation-that you can't buy lampshades on their own, or can someone point me to a source?

Cheers

[i'm in BKK by the way]

Edited by partington

Chatuchak Market.

J&J market mentioned in my original post is Chatuchak Market. I spent an entire( 6 hr) day there with the Nancy Chandler map. Never saw a single lampshade,( I mean for a normal household electric bulb lamp). So can you be a bit more specific about where in the market you have seen these? Thanks!

We had an interior decorator make new ones for us. Ask a few decorators that make curtains/drapes, coverings for cushions, etc., and sooner or later you will find one that says they can do it or will contract it out.

Edited by noise

I bought mine from a dealer there at Chatuchak Market. As you walk in the main entrance it is located in the next row of shops and off to the right. Sorry I don't have the space number. you will find the shop located on the inside of the row NOT facing the outside. The shades I bought were large but there was a large selection of many other sizes. As I remember though, they were mostly white in color. Hope this helps ,,, yes they really are there

Chatuchak Market.

J&J market mentioned in my original post is Chatuchak Market. I spent an entire( 6 hr) day there with the Nancy Chandler map. Never saw a single lampshade,( I mean for a normal household electric bulb lamp). So can you be a bit more specific about where in the market you have seen these? Thanks!

Sorry I don't remember exactly where in the market I found them but there was an area with several shops selling lamps and lamp parts.

I bought mine from a dealer there at Chatuchak Market. As you walk in the main entrance it is located in the next row of shops and off to the right. Sorry I don't have the space number. you will find the shop located on the inside of the row NOT facing the outside. The shades I bought were large but there was a large selection of many other sizes. As I remember though, they were mostly white in color. Hope this helps ,,, yes they really are there

As jcgodber suggests, there are lampshades available at Chatuchak. If you enter via the right hand entrance, (opposite Chatuchak Park, from Kampaengphet 3), and on the right hand side, (where there are art shops too), there used to be lampshade makers there. I had several made to order.

Lampshades made in Thailand are surprisingly bad. Mostly I have had made in Hong Kong. Other shops that supply included one on Thonglor, but I can't find the card. Check out the latest Bangkok Guide (Australian & New Zealand Women's Group). As a newcomer you'll find it useful for most things.