Thai Border Police Save Veera, His Supporters From Cambodian Jail

webfact

Border police save Veera, his supporters from Cambodian jail

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_5569.jpg

SA KAEW: -- Border police in Sa Kaew province managed to save activist Veera Somkwamkid and four of his supporters from being thrown in Cambodian jail for trespassing, but the fate of three Surin locals caught earlier remains unclear.

Veera and his men were reportedly inspecting the disputed border area at Ban Nong Chan, in Sa Kaew's Khok Sung district because he had received information that a Cambodian community was occupying some areas that he believes belong to Thailand.

The group, which has recently been very patriotic, was arrested by Cambodian border police and taken in for questioning. Luckily, Pol LtColonel Sawat Bounman managed to convince his Cambodian counterpart to release Veera and his men after an hourandhalflong negotiation.

Veera has been playing a leading role in forcing the government to stand in opposition to the World Heritage inscription of Cambodia's Preah Vihear Temple.

In a separate report, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday that local authorities would help secure the three Surin residents arrested on Wednesday in Cambodia's Oddar Meanchey area.

Sanong Wongcharoen, Rim Phuangphet and Rain Sabdee were arrested while hunting for food in the forested area along the border of Thailand's Surin province and Cambodia's Oddar Meanchey, Fa Saengthong, ThaiCambodian coordinator in Surin's Buachet district, said.

They were taken to court in Siem Reap province, he said, but could not provide details about the charge or the verdict.

"It should be fine because our administration has good bilateral relations with its counterpart. I think they can do the job," Abhisit said.

Asked if they could face spying charges, Abhisit said he would first wait to see what provincial officials have to say about the case.

However, Second Army Region Commander LtGeneral Veevalit Chornsamrit said the case had gone far beyond ability of the local military unit because they have been charged and taken to court.

The Suranaree Task Force that is in charge of the area contacted its counterpart in Anlongveng but they could not help, he said.

Surin Governor Kasemsak Saenphot will contact his counterpart in Siem Reap regarding the three Thais, but are no answers so far.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-21

Veera Somkwamkid is a menace and a dangerous provocateur who should already be incarcerated for flouting the emergency laws. Obviously has some guardian angels.

Or perhaps, people that appreciate the hardship and misery that war brings, are still able to make their presence felt? You are correct about Veera. What does he hope to accomplish by embarrassing the PM and putting the military commanders in an untenable position? I find it unsettling that the article uses the phrase The group, which has recently been very patriotic. Trying to provoke a violent confrontation when there are more effective and peaceful alternatives available suggests anything but patriotism. It's not their kids that will get shipped home missing limbs from the landmines strewn all over the place. The Veera contingent doesn't usually have their kids conscripted to danger duty or house servant chores, does it? I wish some of those filled with bloodlust could be sent to the deep south for a month to fully appreciate the horror of war and IEDs.

When Cambodians peasants enter in Thailand to hunt and are caught by the patrol they get a 5 years jail term or a bullet in the back.

Or worse....I recall several months ago a teenager was set on fire by either the military or the border patrol. :angry:

When Cambodians peasants enter in Thailand to hunt and are caught by the patrol they get a 5 years jail term or a bullet in the back.

Or worse....I recall several months ago a teenager was set on fire by either the military or the border patrol. :angry:

Please try not to be so condescending , just Thai humanitarians doing thier part to maintain a peacefull atmosphere , just as they did with Cambodian refugees who turned up at the border during the Pol-Pot days , Thai army give the impression they are competent when herding unarmed individuals .

:lol:

Somebody apparently beat me to my question: "Why"? (Why did they bother?)

But to be fair to the Thai Border Police, Veera and company are in fact Thai citizens...and the rules say that the Border Police must help Thai citizens, isn't that true?

So I guess they are just doing their job, as required by law.

:lol:

But doesn't this prompt compassionate-action by the Border Police, scupper the possibility of the Cambodian-government's favourite economic-adviser making his own appeal, to have Veera-&-Co freed ? Darn it, another good plan bites-the-dust ! :whistling: