Thai/Asian Style

eek

So Thailand has Korean fever, yeh. Some Japanese fever too, but Korean seems to be the biggest trend right now. I guess from Korean soaps and movies, and K-pop and J-pop.

I think its ok..but some guys end up with an elf look (a friend first pointed this out to me..and it makes me laugh now). The elf look does look cute at times, but not what id personally consider sexy.

Any trend that does away with the cutesy cutesy bows and hello kitty styles would be good imo.. :blink::P

Dont quite get the braces for cosmetic reason though, guess for the cuteness factor. The huge contact lenses are pretty off-putting. Find them a little bit creepy. Talking to anyone wearing them for any length of time kinda leaves me feeling the same way as when i talk to someone wearing sunglasses.

So what do you think of the trends here?

I don't really like it cos it just wouldn't suit me... most of the clothes look like what you would dress a doll in which is ok if you're really small and babyfaced smile.gif At first glance some stuff looks ok but when I get closer it's got a load of 'extras' stitched on lol I think Thai girls and a lot of Thai women can pull it off but on the average farang woman I think it would look daft....

I WONDERED what was wrong with their eyes. Thanks for clarifying it. It's larger than normal contact lenses for effect only. Messing around with perfectly adequate eyes seems silly to me.

Like shaving off perfectly good hair...

lol streetcowboy, now that is just maintenance ;)

Thai style....well tbh I see very few stylish people in thailand, not what I coming from London would call stytle anyway. Either individual style nor the more common popular trends in style.

Sure, some women will put on a nice frock or skirt/blouse combo & look well enough but hardly stylish imo. Neat, tidy & presentable yes, stylish or original, no.

There seems to be very little encouragement in expressing yourself through fashion particularly for younger people. Teens here don't really seem to try out the different "rites of passage" that kids in UK do t reventually find their own look. Goth, hippy, emo etc. Boys tend to gravitate to the one size fits all rock and or cowboy look & girls go for hello kitty cute or tomboy.

Maybe the japanese/korean trends will insipre more thai peeps to start thinking up their own original/unique to Thailand style?

Edited by Boo

I WONDERED what was wrong with their eyes. Thanks for clarifying it. It's larger than normal contact lenses for effect only. Messing around with perfectly adequate eyes seems silly to me.

Like shaving off perfectly good hair...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Touche

• Like 1

Teens here don't really seem to try out the different "rites of passage" that kids in UK do t reventually find their own look. Goth, hippy, emo etc.

Goth and emo is no sanuk for a Thai. Hippy, I guess, is not clean and tidy enough. Hello Kitty style is quite positive to look at, and then it suits Yamaha FINO bikes pretty well.

I find alot of the trends very girlish, ie more suited to 14 year olds than grown women. The hello kitty trend for example. I can't understand women over the age of 18 say, that wear stuff like that.

I deal with adolescents on a daily basis and the changes they go through every term are something to observe with fascination, from the camp hairstyles in the boys to the alien looking coloured lenses in the girls, and their hair is more and more in their face. Isn't it typical of all teenagers and also typical of their insecurity. Most of them want to conform by following the current trends so meticulously and often ridiculously that they lose any common sense. To me this is a young people's society based on appearance, you just have to look at the adverts. If it's not a shampoo for the thickest and longers hair it must be a miracolous face cream that will whiten until your skin stops producing melanine all together. All this Kitty and Korean wannabes is very Thai and I find it interesting and fun to look at. It reminds me of me when I was trying to look like a rock musician.. :D

• 1 month later...
I find alot of the trends very girlish, ie more suited to 14 year olds than grown women. The hello kitty trend for example. I can't understand women over the age of 18 say, that wear stuff like that.

Men like innocent looking women, so women try to look as innocent as possible, looking like little girls. It creeps me out sometimes.

Who's fooling who?

No Hello Kitty on me...

Well SBK, I think -every- man has a weakness for the teenager-look so once in awhile. It brings memories... and/or makes them feel younger too... but not every man dares to admit. I think, but of course I can't look in the man's brain.

But when I think of Thai style I think of...fringes, lace, colours, prints, ribbons...and this all in ONE outfit !