Importing A Motorcycle To Thailand

JPPR2

Has anyone imported a moto from another country into Thailand? I am moving to Thailand very soon and want to bring my Yamaha 1liter moto with me. I considered looking and buying in Thailand but the costs are double or more than US prices.

If know one has done it, can someone recommend a person to contact?.

Thanks

Edited by JPPR2

It's very difficult, & very expensive. I know bikes are more expensive here, but to import your one would cost a fortune.

There are a few threads on this matter somewhere within these pages & the general consensus is... Forget it.

I thougt about it myself, got a lovely Thunderace sitting in a garage doing nothing in the UK, would love to be able to ride it here..

I was afraid of this. Can you define a fortune? An R1 in Thailand is double plus a US bike. $10K vs $20K+. The R1, as nice a bike it is, is not worth $20K. Are we talking 10K to get it all legal?

I did a search and was not able to find anything more on the subject which was not encouraging..:)

It's very difficult, & very expensive. I know bikes are more expensive here, but to import your one would cost a fortune.

There are a few threads on this matter somewhere within these pages & the general consensus is... Forget it.

I thougt about it myself, got a lovely Thunderace sitting in a garage doing nothing in the UK, would love to be able to ride it here..

I was afraid of this. Can you define a fortune? An R1 in Thailand is double plus a US bike. $10K vs $20K+. The R1, as nice a bike it is, is not worth $20K. Are we talking 10K to get it all legal?

I did a search and was not able to find anything more on the subject which was not encouraging..:)

think it costs at least double what bike is worth ,im the same have limited edition honda hornet garaged for 2 years in uk,from what ive read even if you do get it in parts will be missing etc ,can bring it in through malaysia but then have to do visa runs with bike ,really does not seem worth the hassle ,maybe things will change one day.

on another note i have seen advert in bangkok post ,phuket gazette bike shop called teerate or something similar claim they can import your dream bike do not know if they are talking new or private owned bikes though ,anyone enquired about this service.........................

80% importduty on customs valuation of bike and transportcosts. For a 2 year old, they will use new bike price in LOS to determine importduty.

Emission. If its a Calif bike, expect 40-50k baht. US, but no Calif, 80-90 k baht

Excise tax 30% on all above and bikes value

7% VAT on all above

Double price in Thailand is cheap, normal is tripple

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will sell my moto there and find something to replace it with here. I do not want to spend 2 years trying to do it, my time has an associated value along with all the fees to get it here.

think it costs at least double what bike is worth ,im the same have limited edition honda hornet garaged for 2 years in uk,from what ive read even if you do get it in parts will be missing etc ,can bring it in through malaysia but then have to do visa runs with bike ,really does not seem worth the hassle ,maybe things will change one day.

on another note i have seen advert in bangkok post ,phuket gazette bike shop called teerate or something similar claim they can import your dream bike do not know if they are talking new or private owned bikes though ,anyone enquired about this service.........................

@JPPR2 Yes, forget the import and maybe a local made Kawasaki er6n ,er6f will suit you ? The are well priiced.

@taninthai i believe the teerate advertising is about teera motorcycle also know as TP motorcycle?....if so, have a look you will find rather bad than good news about them.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

If your Yamaha YZF-R1 is worth US$10,000 (+/- 330,000 Baht) the official calculation go's as followed.

1)Import duty (CIF value including rate of import duty) = 330,000 x 0,80 = 264,000 Baht

2)Reduction on the import tax because the motorcycle is two years old = -88,011 Baht

3)Excise Tax 30 percent of (175,989 + 330,000) = 226,562 Baht

4)Interior tax 10 percent of 226,562 Baht = 22,656 Baht

5)Base value for VAT 755,207 Baht

6)VAT 7% 52,864 Baht + 755,207 Baht = 808,071 Baht

Now the motorcycle is in the country, to get it 100% legal for public road use, expect to pay another 100,000 Baht for pollution testing and Department of Land Transport fee's

Happy on your fresh imported two-years old 908,071 Baht Yamaha YZF-R1 in Thailand while you can buy a brand new one with factory warranty from the dealer without headache or worries for less that that....

Edited by Richard-BKK

If your Yamaha YZF-R1 is worth US$10,000 (+/- 330,000 Baht) the official calculation go's as followed.

1)Import duty (CIF value including rate of import duty) = 330,000 x 0,80 = 264,000 Baht

2)Reduction on the import tax because the motorcycle is two years old = -88,011 Baht

Now the motorcycle is in the country, to get it 100% legal for public road use, expect to pay another 100,000 Baht for pollution testing and Department of Land Transport fee's

Happy on your fresh imported two-years old 908,071 Baht Yamaha YZF-R1 in Thailand while you can buy a brand new one with factory warranty from the dealer without headache or worries for less that that....

or a nice nearly new one 2009/2010 R1 on the classiefieds for JUST 750,000b

Hmm if the OP is willing to pay near a million Baht for a simple R1 why go cheap and buy a secondhand... I can offer the guy a brand new Yamaha YZF-R1 on the road including greenbook and a mechanic who checks the motorcycle at his home every week (for one year) for 908,071 Baht (I even through-in a Nylon Yamaha Racing jacked and a helmet) :D :D :D :D :D

Edited by Richard-BKK

@JPPR2 Yes, forget the import and maybe a local made Kawasaki er6n ,er6f will suit you ? The are well priiced.

@taninthai i believe the teerate advertising is about teera motorcycle also know as TP motorcycle?....if so, have a look you will find rather bad than good news about them.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

oh i see what you mean about tp motorcycles cheers:(

Hmm if the OP is willing to pay near a million Baht for a simple R1 why go cheap and buy a secondhand... I can offer the guy a brand new Yamaha YZF-R1 on the road including greenbook and a mechanic who checks the motorcycle at his home every week (for one year) for 908,071 Baht (I even through-in a Nylon Yamaha Racing jacked and a helmet) :D :D :D :D :D

Richard when has 890,000b (price of a new R1) been 1 million. And if there was a quality 2nd hand bike with minimal mileage and some lovely add ons who wouldn't save money (140.000B).

A 2010 R1 with the cross plane engine simple.........cool.gif.. Really?

Edited by thaicbr

Richard when has 890,000b (price of a new R1) been 1 million. And if there was a quality 2nd hand bike with minimal mileage and some lovely add ons who wouldn't save money (140.000B).

A 2010 R1 with the cross plane engine simple.........cool.gif.. Really?

Yes, I'm aware of the price of a new Yamaha YZF-R1 in Thailand, but the OP wants to import his own 2-year old USA Yamaha R1 into Thailand - and by dong that the motorcycle quickly comes very close to 1 million Baht in cost. In my previous calculation I said 908,071 Baht, but I'm known to make mistakes if I use a pocket calculator so to be safe the owner needs to think about 1 million Baht to get his motorcycle "legally" on the road in Thailand.

Richard,

Thanks for the calculation information. Extremely informative and I appreciate you taking the time. Are you a dealer by chance? I may just come see you very soon if I decide to proceed with another R1. Quite honestly a ~ million bht for an R1 is simply not worth it. Beautiful moto and fun indeed but not for ~$32K USD. Geez for that I could have an uber rare 0W-02 YZF. Maybe I will just get a Honda Click 125 and call it a career.....biggrin.gif

Just for clarification purposes mine is actually 2006 R1LE 50th Year anniversary model and its current US market value is ~$13K. I put 10K in thread in hopes of finding out info for which you provided. here is the link; http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2006models/2006models-Yamaha-YZF-R1-LE-USA.htm

Thanks. I love this site.

Well his math looked very professional. I was hoping that would become a sticky for the general audience and newbies like me.

JPPR2.. No one is quite sure what Richard is. He is a bit of a dark horse so to speak :whistling:

I'm almost flattered about the interest in me, but why is it needed to know more about me? Most people on this forum know that I have a website, and work in the automotive sector (motorcycles). That is already a lot to know about a person you never met.

Anyway, I'm not in anyway related to any motorcycle dealer, so sorry I cannot assist you (my previous post about selling a YZF-R1 was intended as a joke). I not know about your brand loyalty, but, with developments in the Thai motorcycle market. The Thai Suzuki main distributor is getting a new owner and management, Honda Motor (Thailand) openly suggested that it's time to move to big bike distribution for Thailand. When it comes to handling and ridability the Yamaha YZF-R1 isn't the first bike I would think of in the 1000cc supersport class...

But if you still want to import the 2006 YZF-R1 LE, and its 4 years old (on the month precise) you can get 46.67% discount on the 80% import duty. (3 y. and 10 months is 45% discount and 12 y. and 2 months is 48.33% discount)

For the old ladies, no regrettable I wasn't there. The pictures where send to me and I found it something I wanted to share with you all. There's often so much negative stuff on this forum, and sometimes a positive topic can keep things a bit in balance... But the company has a bonded warehouse and custom officers are generally not very helpful if it comes to unpacking or moving cargo. And as a motorcycle company who has equipment to move motorcycles in crates on a daily base at the port, it would be very disturbingly wrong if a company like that didn't offer a helping-hand to unpack.

Richard,

Thanks for the calculation information. Extremely informative and I appreciate you taking the time. Are you a dealer by chance? I may just come see you very soon if I decide to proceed with another R1. Quite honestly a ~ million bht for an R1 is simply not worth it. Beautiful moto and fun indeed but not for ~$32K USD. Geez for that I could have an uber rare 0W-02 YZF. Maybe I will just get a Honda Click 125 and call it a career.....biggrin.gif

Just for clarification purposes mine is actually 2006 R1LE 50th Year anniversary model and its current US market value is ~$13K. I put 10K in thread in hopes of finding out info for which you provided. here is the link; http://www.totalmoto...F-R1-LE-USA.htm

Thanks. I love this site.

kawasaki Ninja1000 at 650k baht officially sold here with 2 years warranty

Look into riding it as a temp import (official limit: 30 days, a 2,000 Baht fine for overstay with a deadline after 6 months). Bring it with its plates, then ride it to Cambodia and repeat the VISA run for the bike.

In S.D., customs limited my Yamaha from Germany to 12 months as well. they wanted to do a crash test. and yes, the SR 500 was sold in the U.S. for years. Explain this!

Good luck, just note many wouldn't bother and sell and buy something here instead

Chris

I'm almost flattered about the interest in me, but why is it needed to know more about me? Most people on this forum know that I have a website, and work in the automotive sector (motorcycles). That is already a lot to know about a person you never met.

Anyway, I'm not in anyway related to any motorcycle dealer, so sorry I cannot assist you (my previous post about selling a YZF-R1 was intended as a joke). I not know about your brand loyalty, but, with developments in the Thai motorcycle market. The Thai Suzuki main distributor is getting a new owner and management, Honda Motor (Thailand) openly suggested that it's time to move to big bike distribution for Thailand. When it comes to handling and ridability the Yamaha YZF-R1 isn't the first bike I would think of in the 1000cc supersport class...

But if you still want to import the 2006 YZF-R1 LE, and its 4 years old (on the month precise) you can get 46.67% discount on the 80% import duty. (3 y. and 10 months is 45% discount and 12 y. and 2 months is 48.33% discount)

For the old ladies, no regrettable I wasn't there. The pictures where send to me and I found it something I wanted to share with you all. There's often so much negative stuff on this forum, and sometimes a positive topic can keep things a bit in balance... But the company has a bonded warehouse and custom officers are generally not very helpful if it comes to unpacking or moving cargo. And as a motorcycle company who has equipment to move motorcycles in crates on a daily base at the port, it would be very disturbingly wrong if a company like that didn't offer a helping-hand to unpack.

And the mystery still thickens, because you also are quoted on an unrelated site about the release date of the iPhone 4 here in Thailand. So, internet entrepeneur, motorcyles by trade, and the inside track on technology....are you the helpful avatar of the (insert organization here - Thai government, royal family, Royal Thai Police, CIA)? Just kidding...I think.

And the mystery still thickens, because you also are quoted on an unrelated site about the release date of the iPhone 4 here in Thailand. So, internet entrepeneur, motorcyles by trade, and the inside track on technology....are you the helpful avatar of the (insert organization here - Thai government, royal family, Royal Thai Police, CIA)? Just kidding...I think.

Hmmm me and an iPhone, I currently use a old Nokia 6630 because I lost my other phone. So are you sure it was me?

Hmmm me and an iPhone, I currently use a old Nokia 6630 because I lost my other phone. So are you sure it was me?

Nope, I was guessing you were that Richard. There is only one Richard in Thailand right? Ha ha, sorry, my bad.

Edited by floridaguy

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will sell my moto there and find something to replace it with here. I do not want to spend 2 years trying to do it, my time has an associated value along with all the fees to get it here.

My two bahts worth.

Best to sell it no doubt about that.

From the UK it was going cost double what the bike was worth and I forgot about there.

I even try to get to send it in pieces but Thailands got that covered too.

What they were going to charge at customs was anybody guess.

Your get a good machine here with the help of the guys here on this forum, no worries.

Edited by Kwasaki