How To Build Garden Pond

Hi

I'm wanting to organize a small garden pond at my girlfriend's house. Not much, maybe 2m x 2m.

Just something to add some water feel and maybe some water sound.

It's not going to be fancy, just rustic.

I'm thinking that a polythene liner will be a pain long term.

Right?

If so what do I do?

Bit of small shingle then 3 or 4" thick concrete base and rendered brick up the sides? Any steel needed? Or is there a more bendy reinforcement so the shape can be less square? Any waterproof admix for the cement?

cheers

The bigger garden shops sell the pre fabricated plastic liners in various shapes and sizes. Simply dig a hole, drop it in, fill in around it and fill with water. I did mine with just a plastic liner and never had any problems with it. :D

A good quality liner being the better option, i built my pond with a 5 Cm. thick concrete layer, armed with a thin iron grid, occasionally reinforced with some scrap iron rods.

If there are trees close to the pond, it might be wise to allow them enough space, and make a thicker layer and a stronger grid in their proximity.

Don't need any waterproof additive imho, but i found the concrete at the time to be of rather poor quality, i used nearly the same amount of sand and concrete.

You can find lot of different electric water pumps, just be sure to get a waterproof one.