Briton Falls To His Death At Novotel Suvarnabhumi Hotel

webfact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah i been there before Hotel was not high bulid Big and not much guest .. around hotel lobby ,each floors have staff standing waiting for service..!!

why it so short news.. have any link..? for this news..?

Hi All,

It's true Jim was an urban explorer...he was from Middlesbrough my hometown back in the Uk....here's an article from todays local newspaper the Evening Gazette...I did not know Jim but my condolences go out to his family...RIP JIM " SOLOMON " SMITH...you died enjoying what you liked to do.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2010/08/26/teesside-man-dies-in-thailand-fall-84229-27141983/

Block2

The facts that can be known are now known by those who matter.

He climbed because it's what he did; he fell for whatever reason it was, be it the drink or a momentary lapse of concentration.

It cost him his life.

There was no reason for him to be climbing the building other than his own desire to do so.

He wasn't running from anyone or anything, he wasn't in trouble and it certainly wasn't suicide.

I hope this helps bring some closure to some of the speculation.

R.I.P. Jim - you're missed by many.

'Urban explorer' dies after falling from Thai hotel balcony

A 30-year-old from Middlesbrough fell from his fifth-floor room while on business in Bangkok

Urban explorer and professional climber Jim Smith, 30. He died after a suspected fall from the fifth-floor balcony of his hotel in Thailand. Photograph: North News

A devotee of the "urban exploring" craze who climbed famous landmarks such as the Angel of the North has died after falling from a hotel balcony in Thailand.

Jim Smith, 30, from Middlesbrough, was found in gardens below his fifth floor room in Bangkok on Monday in as yet unknown circumstances.

Friends suspect that Smith, who was in Thailand on business, may have slipped while climbing in or out of the hotel where he was staying alone.

Urban exploration, which involves seeking out unusual buildings to investigate and photograph, has been gaining in popularity around the world over the past decade, despite the inherent risks involved in navigating often derelict and challenging surroundings.

Posts on the urban explorer website called 28 Days Later have suggested that Smith's death was a tragic accident. One friend said: "It seems unlikely that Jim would of accidentally fallen from a height as many of you know he had a fairly good head for heights and he was not clumsy. He may of tried to climb out of his hotel after having some drinks to escape into town. But we will probably never know what had actually happened."

Fellow urban explorers shared stories of how they had joined Smith on climbs of the Angel of the North in Gateshead, Newport Bridge in Middlesbrough and the Temenos sculpture by the Tees.

Forum member Skydiver said Smith, known to many as Solomon, climbed despite his fear of heights. He wrote: "We met two weeks ago and climbed to the shoulders of the Angel [Of The North].

"He really was an inspirational guy, scared shitless of heights, yet he climbed that rope with no hesitation at all.

"We had planned a return trip. I'm sorry we will never get the chance to do that. Climb high Sol. You'll be missed."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/26/urban-explorer-hotel-death-fall

I am with you ptpirate!

When I figure out how to get off this site I am gone.

The people who attempt to write on this site are sad and pathetic and quite frankly, from what I have read, if they hate Thailand so much and hold it in so much contempt, I suggest they return to whichever dark, dirty, dank holes they came from.

Bye bye Thai Visa - I cannot even say it has been a pleasure.

To the many small minded xxxxxxx here with nothing better to do than get as many posts up as possible....

Jim 'living the dream' Smith worked all over the world and embraced life like you could never imagine. Yes, the circumstances are unusual added with piss poor reporting but you should really get a grip and start thinking about your stupid comments upsetting friends and relatives who read this website. Please, grow up and get a life!

Jim had a long layover on his way from the UK to another SE Asian country for about 2 months work. He didnt have a lot of money 'cos he just spent the last year travelling SE Asia on a motorbike and would have got the VIP room 'cos the company booked/ paid for it, not because he was well to do. He is also an avid 'urban explorer' and combined with photography, a sport/hobby he was very passionate about and not something he did under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Quite simply, he climbed the roof/ glass etc because he could. Unfortunately, he slipped and fell to his untimely death (hotel cctv has confirmed this).

Now, some comments on here have caused considerable trauma to those close to Jim that I directed here to be informed of how Jim met his maker. You should really be ashamed of yourself for being such a poor example of a human being. You know nothing. Yet you try to impress people on here who you don't even know about someone who isn't here about a subject you haven't even heard of before. You are pathetic. And this is not an isolated incident, it was worse when Big Joe died.

Goodbye thaivisa, you have let the rats take over the ship.

Sorry for yours and his families loss.

'Urban explorer' dies after falling from Thai hotel balcony

...One friend said: "It seems unlikely that Jim would of accidentally fallen from a height as many of you know he had a fairly good head for heights and he was not clumsy. He may of tried to climb out of his hotel after having some drinks to escape into town. But we will probably never know what had actually happened."...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/26/urban-explorer-hotel-death-fall

In the Thai Rath link posted earlier it was reported there were 5 empty beer bottles in his room which kind of fits in with that.

Condolences to the family..

Edited by katana