BoT May Raise Interest Rate Today

BoT may raise interest rate today

The Bank of Thailand's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) is expected to raise its policy interest rate again today by 25 basis points, the second such rise since April 2009, in the light of better-than-expected economic performance driven by exports, investment and domestic consumption.

After the 25-basis-points increase on July 14, a similar increase today would see the policy interest rate reach 1.75 per cent. Research houses expect yet another hike of 25 basis points to 2 per cent in October or some time before the end of this year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-25

Piles more pressure on the GBP and USD.

The THB was already down below 50 on the GBP before this announcement after its brief summer rally. More THB strength to come I fear.

Considering the rise in the Baht the past week or so, I would think this move was anticipated.

There have been a number of positive comments about the economy, SE Asia's generally and Thailand's specifically, including those recently by Dr. Mark Mobius from Templeton Funds, so the inflow of funds for investment continues.

These things tend to be cyclical in any event. Tourism and export dependent economies lose their competitive advantage if their curriencies become too expensive. China and Japan may turn increasingly to domestic consumption, but Thailand is limited in that regard.

The THB was already down below 50 on the GBP before this announcement after its brief summer rally. More THB strength to come I fear.

Considering the rise in the Baht the past week or so, I would think this move was anticipated.

There have been a number of positive comments about the economy, SE Asia's generally and Thailand's specifically, including those recently by Dr. Mark Mobius from Templeton Funds, so the inflow of funds for investment continues.

These things tend to be cyclical in any event. Tourism and export dependent economies lose their competitive advantage if their curriencies become too expensive. China and Japan may turn increasingly to domestic consumption, but Thailand is limited in that regard.

So It sounds you know your business. Respect. But in normal words you expect the dollar, euro and others gettings less worth this year or not?

I think 45 baht for a euro is reasonable for expats here. otherwise life is not as cheap anymore here..

So It sounds you know your business. Respect. But in normal words you expect the dollar, euro and others gettings less worth this year or not?

I think 45 baht for a euro is reasonable for expats here. otherwise life is not as cheap anymore here..

I don't think exchange rates are determined by what expats seem is reasonable.

Unfortunately I think The Euro is going down versus baht because of the poor economy in the euro zone. Not good for me or other tourists or expats earning money in EU.

learn to live with it now there is Notting we can do 39 baht to Euro have watched it go from 54 down and prices for everything go up in the last 5 years I have seen a 50-60% loss in buying power so how long more do I ask myself there is only so much we can take lately iv een told by a friend who deals in forex to look for 32 baht to Euro maybe 25-28 within 12-18 months.

I wonder will my telac appreciate the sacrifices I have to make in 1-2 years.

Now would be a good time to buy thai bht and sell later in the year or spring next year when the dollar and euro start economies start to turn around