webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:coffee1:..Thailand and Russia showing their balls.

The continuing story of.....xxxx...only to be seen in Thailand :licklips:

LaoPo

Precisely. What a great saga. I bet a few in the US Embassy are worried their careers are going down the tubes right now.

If it was true that they tried to get Bout out onto a private jet, but the Thai police stopped it, I bet now they wish he had been allowed to go. Hadn't the embassy explained that 100 baht in your passport goes a long way in this country.

Whilst it is nice to get people like Bout off the street, one would imagine part of the plan wasn't having to deal with the Thai justice system.

As international espionage, gun running and entente cordial goes, this is hardly James Bond or Jason Bourne is it.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in the US Embassy at the moment. And the delicious irony of watching the Thai legal system adhering to the absolute letter, comma and semi-colon of the law is brilliant. Hasn't the US Embassy heard of pastry boxes?

:coffee1:..Thailand and Russia showing their balls.

The continuing story of.....xxxx...only to be seen in Thailand :licklips:

LaoPo

Precisely. What a great saga. I bet a few in the US Embassy are worried their careers are going down the tubes right now.

If it was true that they tried to get Bout out onto a private jet, but the Thai police stopped it, I bet now they wish he had been allowed to go. Hadn't the embassy explained that 100 baht in your passport goes a long way in this country.

Whilst it is nice to get people like Bout off the street, one would imagine part of the plan wasn't having to deal with the Thai justice system.

As international espionage, gun running and entente cordial goes, this is hardly James Bond or Jason Bourne is it.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in the US Embassy at the moment. And the delicious irony of watching the Thai legal system adhering to the absolute letter, comma and semi-colon of the law is brilliant. Hasn't the US Embassy heard of pastry boxes?

:cheesy:

But the process has been held up because of new charges of money-laundering and fraud announced by US prosecutors in February this year, with another court hearing in Thailand set for October 4.

Suthep Thaugsuban, deputy prime minister in charge of national security, said that the Thai Criminal Court would have to drop proceedings relating to the new US charges before he can be handed over to the United States.

"There are new charges that the United States filed and they are still in court, so the prosecutor has to seek court approval to drop them and we don't know what the court's decision will be," he told reporters.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I fail to see what the new charges, America has filed, have to do with another court hearing here now in October. It was decided on lesser reasons to extradite him. Obviously a kind of tricky when you ask me. This could well backfire on Thailand one day.

So the States could drop the money laundering case and fraud now and there he goes?

I expect a fair and transparent trial, where Mr. Bout has a chance to clear his name or face the music.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I fail to see what the new charges, America has filed, have to do with another court hearing here now in October. It was decided on lesser reasons to extradite him. Obviously a kind of tricky when you ask me. This could well backfire on Thailand one day.

So the States could drop the money laundering case and fraud now and there he goes?

I expect a fair and transparent trial, where Mr. Bout has a chance to clear his name or face the music.

Well, I don't think you're dumb.

The way I've understood the extra lawsuits the US filed against Bout have now backfired upon themselves since they gave the Thai juridical system "food" to reconsider and study all those lawsuits.

They were meant to try and get him on a plane to the US in case the other lawsuits failed. That's my understanding.

It must be busy behind the velvet curtains of the Thai government...a LOT of pressure from both sides, US and Russia.

It was a set-up from the beginning and I think Thailand regrets it very much now it let itself use by a foreign intelligence service <_<

LaoPo

Seems that Mr. Bout has just pulled his get out of jail card out his pocket, and realised it isn't worth what he was promised.

How exactly does one renege on a deal with the world's largest arms dealer?

You have to love the intrigue of politics in this country.