Thailand Trip Report

utapaortnab

To all addressees/members;

I am a 67 year old happily married man who does not drink, smoke or butterfly EVER so if you are expecting to read another boring report from someone whose only claim to fame is how many women for hire he has bedded during a one month vacation, please hit the delete button now.

For those who are the least bit curious about how someone who is far too old to cherish the vises of the young, and how one such person can fill a 30 day vacation read on.

This vacation was long awaited and long overdue. My wife Rattana and I had last visited Thailand in Oct 2000. We planned no Thailand vacation for 2001 because I was to retire for good finally in 2002 and we had planned two separate vacations for 2002.

Then in early 2002 I had my first "heart event" which ended in a stint being put in a heart artery. So in Apr. 2002 I retired. Just 5 weeks after retiring, I had a 2nd heart event and this time it required a double bypass. That caused the cancellation of both 2002 trips. We once again scheduled two trips for 2003 but our May 2003 trip was cancelled due to the SARS scare. Finally, we decided on Oct/Nov 2003 for our month's trip.

The purpose of this timeframe and trip was threefold. Firstly it co-insided with the U-Tapao Group's First International Reunion which meant we'd finally get the opportunity to meet several members of the group that we'd only had e-mail contact with the past 3 years. All the group was stationed at U-Tapao Royal Thai Navy Airbase during the Viet Nam War, hence the common bond.

The second reason for the trip was to attend my wife's only still single sister's wedding, and the third was to meet with old friends from past trips and to meet people I had long wanted to break bread with but never met in person.

Well, that WAS the plan.

The U-Tapao Group Reunion filled the first 2 weeks of our trip and it allowed us to finally meet:

John Ault

Dan Banes

Peter and Ae Cabrey

Jim Gilmore

Ray Hayes

Dave Galvan

Dan Galvan

Larry Keough

Don and Manee Meurett

Bill Miller

Gene and Supawan Ponce

Greg Robinson

Corey Robinson (Greg's adult son)

Michael Weldon

My cousin Gene Kendall who frequently travels with us and one of my ex boss's Buddy Wilcox also joined the trip and many of the Group activities.

Never in my life have I met so many quality people that bonded together so well at one time. I am proud to call each of the people above as new lifetime friends who I would like very much to spend much quality time with in the months/years to come. I could fill a book just on the great get togethers/events we had together but I'm sure that the one highlight that stood out the most was a day trip onto U-Tapao RTNAB again. Stopped off at the Swan Lake Hotel nearby U-T and met Phuntitaya Wiwatpetchrayuth G.M. and his son Sarakit Anodard, present Manager while there.

During our Reunion Dan Lovering an Associated Press Reporter posted in Bangkok came down to Pattaya and took statements from each of us that were later posted by him in a report titled VIET NAM WAR VETERANS RETURN.... Suddenly our trip was shared with thousands of readers around the world.

From day one, I tried to make all the FLB meetings each Wed/Sun nite in order to meet old friends and make new ones. Also attended Friends of Pattaya Saturday morning meetings and Pattaya Expat Club Sunday morn meetings. It was during one of the Pattaya Expats Meetings that Drew Noyes, the Club's President, asked if anyone had old photos of Pattaya taken during the Viet Nam War. I proudly held up my hand and met with Drew after the meeting which was the flashpoint for the most important 15-20 minutes of my life even though it caused changes to our vacation schedule.

We had planned on attending my wife's sister wedding in Chiayaphum on the 11th-12th of Nov and meeting with several old hand friends who live in Bangkok on the 13th of Nov. Well, all that was changed my my wife's father deciding that my wife's sister Piroon must marry on the 13th, meaning I would have to miss the NO HOST get together with all my Bangkok friends that nite. Then I was informed that myself and 2-3 other ex military personnel would be asked to meet with HRH PrincessMaha Chakri Sirindhorn on the morning of the 14th of November as part of a dedication ceremony. Well, that meant cancelling my participation in my wife's sisters wedding AND changing the date for the Bangkok get together until the 14th. It also meant cancelling my Chiayaphum Resort reservations and changing the Bangkok hotel reservations to arrive on the 14th.

So much of the "free time" from the date I was notified of the Princess's dedication until it actually happened was filled with meetings, finding, sorting and posting old photos and trying to get as many candidates as possible to attend the dedication.

As it turned out, all four of the participants were members of our U-Tapao Group SFC Kenneth R. Bower (myself), Master Sergeant Gene Ponce, Sergeant Pete Cabrey (who fly back all the way from Hawaii just to attend this event), and Petty Officer John Ault (US Coast Guard). We were briefed that Drew Noyes, the MC for the event, would be presenting the Princess with a photo album containing the 50 best of all the photos plus some short greetings stating what many of the vets in our group did during our assignments at U-Tapao and what our thoughts were of Pattaya back then and today.

We were also told to bow in her presence but not to speak to her or look directly at her. Well, all that changed in the actual event. Our participation was to be a simple 5 minute thing but when she arrived (along with every General, Admiral, and their staffs and every city, county and ampur official) she did NOT sit down on the throne provided but stood there directly in front of us and spoke to the four of us for a full 15-20 minutes asking and answering questions about the "Cold War", our participation, and her memories and also asked/answered her memories of questions about Pattaya back then and thanked us for our participation. Then, she gave each of us a gift, handing them directly to us and not handing them first to a man who would pass them on to us. We simply were in shock.

The gifts turned out to be 2 cups/saucers with the Royal Academy crest wrapped in Royal academy paper with the Royal Family ribbon. The teacups/saucers are Royal Porcelain. A gift to cherish a lifetime.

If it's true that everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame, well we just got ours.

Although just the events above would have already made the trip the best ever month of my life, I was able to squeeze out time to meet some very special people I have looked up to for years including:

Jesse F. Gump, my favorite author who at our brief meeting gave me a signed copy of his third book EVEN THAI GIRLS CRY. I already have signed copies of his first two books. He flew in from Kings Mills. Ohio.

Dean Barrett, my second favorite author who Lat and I met at the re-scheduled No Host party on the 14th and again a couple of days later at our hotel. He gave us a signed copy of his SKYTRAIN TO MURDER novel and also a children's book he had written.

The third person we met finally was Mike Newman who flew in from Saipan. Lat and I are very indebted to him because he put our webpage: http://homepage.mac.com/mgnewman/KenLat/

Another couple we've been waiting to meet was Roger and Kit Nelson from Ft. Walton Beach FL area. They gave us a tour of their So. Jomtien condo. It is terrific. Also had a couple of meals with Roger and Kit and her sister Thep joined in for the second one.

Drew Noyes, publisher, real estate mogal, Pattaya Expats Club President. He changed the lives of four of us forever. (Princess dedication participants).

Sermsakdi Sabhananda, President-Editor in Chief of the Leader's Digest Newspaper and VP of the Expat's Club

Among the other new friends we had the opportunity to meet during our month filled with activity included:

Ron Montgomery (toured his great new condo in Naklua), Peter Lissaman, Sandy Johnston, Jeep Holthaus, Vilai Roongroj, George Bell, Tim Lewis, FM of Mistys, Les Strouse, exc-Air America pilot/charter member of the TLCB, Richard Bartram a UK lawyer of note, Max Rommel, Expats Club Treasurer, Alan D. Sherratt, Consultant, C.W. Tavich, Pattaya City Council Chairman and Raymond J. Byrne

I just realized that the problem with listing those who I met and remember is that there is probably another list of those my CRS won't allow me to remember since I took NO notes during my vacation nor did I do a daily journal of any sort. Well, anyway, for those new friends I forgot, please e-mail me so I can add you to my memory...

Besides doing all mentioned above we still also had time to visit with old friends Bobby Peterson, George Knickerbocker, Kim Fletcher, Kevin and Bao Fortt, and Pete and all the gang from the FLB or course.

We somehow were not able to connect with Gary Fulmer one of our most valued friends nor Keith/Koy Fortt, and so many more old friends. New friends we had planned to visit with include MacAlan Thompson, Harold Stephens, Rick Armstrong, Stephen Leather, Christopher G. Moore, Colin Piprell, Jungle Jim Traywick, Bernard Trink, Stickman and his lovely wife, Dan Hill, Jake Needham, Tom Sanpawon Vamvanij, Mekong Kurt and again several more whose names escape me.

OurHotels: ova Nova Lodge Oct 19-Nov 1 1000 Baht/nite including full breakfast Rooms adequate but our assigned room was very smoky until Lat took the air conditioner apart and found the filter to be filled beyond capacity with dirt. She called the maintenance engineer who came and cleaned the entire air conditioner unit and replaced the filter. Problem solved. This property has a great olympic sized swimming pool, comfortable lounge and lobby and professionally managed tour desk. Also includes a minature golf course on property and a great German Restaurant adjoining.

Lek Hotel Soi 13/Pattaya 2nd Rd: Nov 1-14 Our rooms in the new wing at a November price of 960 Baht/nite was quite a surprise in comparison with the old wing. Very comfortable to be sure and only glitch was the lighting too dim. We love the Lek and are both friends with Manager Kek for many years. The Lek has a great buffet breakfast for 95 baht and great swimming pool. The rooms in the new wing (facing north) get little heating from the sun and are very quiet.

Honey Hotel Soi 19 Sukhumvit, Bangkok Nov 14-17: Standard Room 800 baht Superior Room 900 Baht Deluxe Room 980 baht. We chose the superior room and it was quite small and smoky. The hallways were also smoky but the staff was quite pleasant and so was the tour desk personnel. The restaurant was adequate. Swimming pool small but adequate. It is the only hotel in Bangkok with a great location (convenient to Robinsons, MacDonalds, good Thai and Int'l Restaurants, Sio Cowboy, Nana, and Wash. Sq.) I'd stay there again if on the cheap. Otherwise I'd think about the Windson Suites or Imperial properties.

Restaurants:

Best of the trip: Our 3 meals at the Cafe New Orleans. Their BBQ Babyback ribs are to die for and so is their Noon-4PM weekend BBQ Ribs-Fish-Chicken entree for 265 Baht if memory serves. Also tried the Cajon Pork Chop which was very good. Staff is very pleasant as well.

Other restaurants in order of our liking include Captains Corner (but you have to watch which entrees you chose). We found the tenderloin steaks very tender but all other steak choices tough. The pork chops were great as were the shish-ka-bobs. I love the peanut sauce on everything. I love the fact that they pick you up at your hotel and bring you back. Certainly a plus. The entertainment is quite good as well.

Our meals at Shenanigans are also still a favorite with us. Never disappoints. Probably the most professionally run restaurant/pub in Pattaya

Best new restaurant by far was our five meals at the Tequila Reef. Too bad we NEVER did get to meet the owners/manager.

P.I.C. Kitchen also provided a great meal and I love their pricey but great Jazz Lounge.

Also the two meals we had at Ruen Thai were better than average. The tr5aditional dancers/music are acceptable.

Biggest disappointment was our meal at the Blue Parrot. They no longer serve you food and offer you a music menu to chose the music you listen too. The staff was very unattentive and food quality was questionable.

Missed out on eating some submarine/hoagie sandwiches at the Viking Beachcomer this year and also to eat a meal or three with BJ up at his restaurant.

There are so many Int'l and Thai restaurants to chose from I fear, at age 67, I shall never have time to visit them all.

In Bangkok our best meals were the one on the Evening Cruise on the Chao Phya Princess and the Thai food meal we shared with Gene and Supawan Ponce in Nonthaburi. I wish I could remember the name of that restaurant as it was quite exceptional.

All in all, we packed in more during this trip than any in my 67 years. More very special memories and more new lifetime friends than in any 30 day period ever. A great trip that probably can never be outdone in my lifetime.

See, even those of us too old to be punters/sanukers CAN enjoy our vacations in Thailand. I have handed over the gauntlet and responsibility of running the streets to all you youngsters some nine years ago so carry on with your drunken stupers and skirtchasing. It's required of you. But I'll sleep tonite and for many nights to come with the memories of a most successful vacation.

Ken Bower

Guest IT Manager

Great post, Ken. makes the board what it is. Wonderful experience you had by the sound of it, and I, like the other admins have said, thank you for the contribution and look forward to more.

Maybe you should touch base with KevinN, who also has a wealth of wonderful Thai stories to tell from over 30 years in South East Asia.

IT