Belfast Man Sentenced To Life In Prison For Drug Dealing

Buchholz

Correct Smedly....plus a person born in the Republic of Ireland before 1949 is also entitled to a British passport...:jap:

True.

My mother was born in 1947 in Ireland and remember a few years ago the debate with regards to the public pension, as the British one kicked in 5 or so years earlier, and what would changing to a British passport mean with regards to getting 5 years extra pension.

Of course she didn't and retired privately the following year anyway, but remember the talk about it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was born in Belfast.

I have an Irish passport and I consider myself Irish.

Eh?

Can someone born in the North choose to have a Republic of Ireland passy, even though it's a separate country and part of the UK? :blink:

Surely that's the race card all played out?

Please don't let it decend into the religious side of north & south Ireland, I'm sure everyone's heard enough about this already!

Mods - do everyone a favour and close this before it goes further down the pan!

Race card no, Ireland is an island, with Irish people born there, they are all Irish. It is within any UK governments power to join the communities of the island to it's original status, ie; give back the land.

Irelands ''original status'' was a number (4?) of separate and fractious provinces, it was only ever a unified island while under British rule. Of course it is within any Irish government's power to return the 26 counties to the United Kingdom, (the former status quo.!), and give back the land.

If he was a sports star he would be British but as he is a lowlife he is Irish. :whistling:

Surely not a chip on the shoulder response from a respected Celtic supporter.:blink: Whether he is a lowlife or not, he is British.

Its a good place to go if you want to learn to speak Thai...And by the time the OP gets out think he will be fluent in the local lingo .quote.

given a choice i think i would prefer the final curtain ,

rather than a life sentence in the bangkok hilton.

dynabob user_popup.png

This man is not Irish he is a loyalist ie loyal to the Queen of England,he was also a member of a bunch of cowards called the Ulster freedom fighters,(UFF)who where the main suppliers of Heroin to schools and youth club's.He ran away to LOS after a warning from The Irish Republican Army concerning his drug dealing's.A shinning example of Jaffa (Orangeman)May it pass slowly.

Hi dynabob

I have a couple of point's about your post.

1.Can you please use the Queens correct title in you post's. "Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

2.A shinning example of Jaffa (Orangeman) . Umm you have used this post to vent your venom about the Orange Institution can you please stick to the facts.

A drug dealer was sent to prison for life for selling drugs....

Thanks

Jam1e

Edited by JAM1E

:blink:

Poor Sod thought he could make some money in Thailand by selling drugs. What a fool.

Informants are the most common method the Thai police use to catch drug dealers. Watch carefully, memorise what what the news saya about the amount of drugs found. You can just about be sure to find that amount of drugs in another "bust" on the Thai news soon. The reason is that the Thai police will return a portion or all of the drugs to their informant...and hope that he/she will help them catch another fool who thinks that he/she is above the law again. That's the way the drug dealer cacthing business runs. Don't get me wrong, I have no sympathy for those who get caught dealing drugs. In my time in Thailand and watching the Thai news, I've seen it again and again. I've no doubt whatsoever that the Thai drug police use informants to lure the fool Farang into a drug deal scam, return part or all of the drugs to the informant...and much of the money (except for the "fee" paid to the police for "administrative" costs)...and send the informant back out to find another fool to scam. So in the future expect to find some other fool who thinks he/she can bet the law to be caught with the same (oh, what a coincidence!) amount of the same drugs.

Anuhow, the smart thing for poor Sod to do is to confess to the drug charge. The Thais will often reduce his sentence by half for the confession. Also that brings up the possilbility of doing only part of his sentence in Thailand...and then being sent back to his home country (I won't even touch the question of whether Northern Ireland is really Ireland or not) to finish the rest of his sentence.

Drugs, of any kind, are a nasty business...and I have no sympathy for those that deal them. Period.

:angry:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

If he was a sports star he would be British but as he is a lowlife he is Irish. :whistling:

Surely not a chip on the shoulder response from a respected Celtic supporter.:blink: Whether he is a lowlife or not, he is British.

Indeed not Sir. :rolleyes:

confusion

the Republic of Ireland (Irish: Poblacht na hÉireann) is a state which covers approximately five-sixths of the island of Ireland, off the coast of Northwest Europe. It is the western-most state of the European Union. The remaining sixth of the island of Ireland is known as Northern Ireland and is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.as is Belfast

As an Englishman, l look at any one from across the water as Irish.:)

My father is from Ireland and he never considers himself to be British and I consider him to be Irish and not a Brit.

I would draw your attention in my humble merit I rest my case to seanocasey.

to explain to the uninformed to what been Irish is yes Irish yes not British

Brendan Behan (1923-1964) - Irish dramatist, author

* It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's rather that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody.

* The Irish are a very popular race... with themselves.

* I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer.

* ...Actually, I'm a drinker with writing problems.

* To get enough to eat was regarded as an achievement. To get drunk was a victory.

* New York is my Lourdes, where I go for spiritual refreshment... a place where you're least likely to be bitten by a wild goat.

* I saw a notice which said, 'Drink Canada Dry' and I've just started.

* Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.

* What the hel_l difference does it make, left or right? There were good men lost on both sides.

* Other people have a nationality. The Irish and the Jews have a psychosis.

* If it was raining soup, the Irish would go out with forks.

Too young to die. Too drunk to live.

Renee McCall of the Daily Express on the passing of Brendan Behan on this date in 1964 at the age of 41.

Ah, Ireland... That damnable, delightful country, where everything that is right is the opposite of what it ought to be

Benjamin Disraeli

There are only two dialects of Irish, plain Irish and toothless Irish, and, lacking a proper acquaintance with the latter, I think I missed the cream of the old man's talk.

From 'Leinster, Munster and Connaught' by Frank O'Connor

This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.

Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

There have been many definitions of hel_l, but for the English the best definition is that it is the place where the Germans are the police, the Swedish are the comedians, the Italians are the defense force, Frenchmen dig the roads, the Belgians are the pop singers, the Spanish run the railways, the Turks cook the food, the Irish are the waiters, the Greeks run the government, and the common language is Dutch.

David Frost and Anthony Jay

Sean O'Casey

* All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed.

* A lament in one ear, maybe, but always a song in the other.

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

* What's the use of being Irish if the world doesn't break your heart?

* A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces but also by the men it honors, the men it remembers.

* Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

* Liberty without learning is always in peril; learning without liberty is always in vain.

The quiet Irishman is about as harmless as a powder magazine built over a match factory.

James Dunne

Of our conflicts with others we make rhetoric; of our conflicts with ourselves we make poetry.

William Butler Yeats

W. B. Yeats (Irish prose Writer, Dramatist and Poet. Nobel Prize for Literature in 1923. 1865-1939)

* We make out of the quarrel with others, rhetoric, but of the quarrel with ourselves, poetry.

* We . . . are no petty people. We are one of the great stocks of Europe. We are the people of Burke; we are the people of Swift, the people of Emmet, the people of Parnell. We have created most of the modern literature of this country. We have created the best of its political intelligence.

speech in the Irish Senate, June 11, 1925

* Out of Ireland have we come.

Great hatred, little room,

Maimed us at the start.

* Romantic Ireland's dead and gone, It's with O'Leary in the grave

* Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

There are only two kinds of people in the world, The Irish, and those who wish they were.

Anonymous

There is an Irish way of paying compliments as though they were irresistible truths which makes what would otherwise be an impertinence delightful.

Katherine Tynan Hinkson

Every St. Patrick's Day every Irishman goes out to find another Irishman to make a speech to.

Shane Leslie

If you are lucky enough to be Irish, you're lucky enough.

Grace Boyle

In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God.

Stephen Braveheart

I know tolerably well what Ireland was, but have a very imperfect idea of what Ireland is.

John Stuart Mill - Letter to J. E. Caimes, 29 July 1864

My father was totally Irish, and so I went to Ireland once. I found it to be very much like New York (state), for it was a beautiful country, and both the women and men were good-looking.

James Cagney

The divine harbinger of summer - warm rain.

Kevin Myers - Irish Times

Company keeping under the stars at night has succeeded in too many places the good old irish custom of visiting, chatting and story-telling from one house to another.

View of Archbishop Gilmartin of Tuam 1926, from Twentieth Century Ireland by Dermot Keogh

Love is never defeated, and I could add, the history of Ireland proves it.

Pope John Paul II from a speech to the people of Galway, September 1979.

I was born on a storm-swept rock and hate the soft growth of sun-baked lands where there is no frost in men's bones.

Liam O'Flaherty

I'm an Irish Catholic and I have a long iceberg of guilt.

Edna O'Brien (Irish Writer, b.1932)

I joined the British Army because she stood between Ireland and an enemy common to our civilization and I would not have her say she defended us while we did nothing but pass resolutions.

Francis Ledwidge

John Millington Synge (1871–1909)

* I'm a good scholar when it comes to reading but a blotting kind of writer when you give me a pen.

* One wonders in this place, why anyone is left in Dublin, or London, or Paris where it would be better, one would think to live in a tent or hut, with this magnificent sea and sky, and to breathe this wonderful air which is like wine in one's teeth.

* There is no language like the Irish for soothing and quieting.

The Aran Islands (1907)

Samuel Beckett

* My advice to you concerning applause is this: enjoy it but never quite believe it.

* Dublin university contains the cream of Ireland: Rich and thick.

* I have my faults, but changing my tune is not one of them.

St. Patrick's Day is an enchanted time... a day to begin transforming winter's dreams into summer's magic!

Adrienne Cook

You cannot conquer Ireland. You cannot extinguish the Irish passion for freedom. If our deed has not been sufficient to win freedom, then our children will win it by a better deed.

Padraig Pearse - a leader of the 1916 Rebellion.

"...even as a partitioned small nation, we shall go on and strive to play our part in the world, continuing unswervingly to work for the cause of true freedom and for peace and understanding between all nations."

Eamon De Valera

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.

Samuel Lover

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Oliver Goldsmith

George Bernard Shaw (Irish literary Critic, Playwright and Essayist. 1925 Nobel Prize for Literature, 1856-1950)

* Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.

* I showed my appreciation of my native land in the usual Irish way: by getting out of it as soon as I possibly could.

* Eternal is the fact that the human creature born in Ireland and brought up in its air is Irish. I have lived for twenty years in Ireland and for seventy-two in England; but the twenty came first, and in Britain I am still a foreigner and shall die one.

quoted in Ireland in Mind, Alice Leccese Powers, ed. (2000)

* Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.

* An Englishman does everything on principle: he fights you on patriotic principles; he robs you on business principles; he enslaves you on imperial principles.

The Man of Destiny

* Put an Irishman on the spit and you can always get another Irishman to turn him.

* An Irishman's heart is nothing but his imagination.

When all the fuss has died down and the lads get back to I'm sure what will be a heroes' welcome, the wounds will heel and the wise man in the pub will say "Sure, 'twas only an oul match anyway!"

Contributed by an Irish reader after Spain defeated Ireland in the 2002 World Cup.

Ireland is a fruitful mother of genius, but a barren nurse.

John Boyle O'Reilly

I edited as I wanted to shout my mouth off more as i am proud of being Irish.

Edited by seanocasey