Jomtiem Immigration Today

Wife and I went to Immigration today (she is from Philippines)because I asked her when does she need to do her 90 day, reply "I don't know, look at my passport". She was due August 8th, I'm not due until Oct 3rd. Thought "sure wish we were on the same day to avoid this" but I know not much chance as I have read you cannot do your 90 day more than a week or so early.

We decided to go in the afternoon since she doesn't get up until noon but does housework, laundry, Facebook, soap operas until 5am. We get about 1/2 block and got hit with torrential downpour, took shelter for 1/2 hour in motorbike shop. Get to Soi 5 and water is half way up to our knees all down the soi til just before the office. Thank God neither of us wore long pants.

I had filled out the forms on internet and printed and we signed them as we entered the office about 2pm. Place only 1/2 full due I'm sure to the rain and Window 3 for 90 day report has 2 officers on duty and no waiting.

First I hand him my passport stating I would like to have same day as my wife. Stamp, Stamp, Stamp, initial, initial initial and I am approved for 90 days from today. Now comes my my wife 17 days late times b200 per day is b3400. He points it out, I wai'd and apologized and explained that is why I want to have same day and assure him it won't happen next time. Stamp, Stamp, Stamp, initial, initial,initial and we are out the door.

Great experience.

200 baht a day visa is not a good experience and this is the first time I have ever seen it mentioned. The fine should be a flat 2,000 baht for late reporting and have never seen anything else except for those with attitude perhaps. Will be interesting if others are treated with this new method. Although the law allows up to 5k fine and 200 baht per day until paid believe the 200 baht should only apply after you have been advised to pay (you do not pay when requested).

Did she receive an itemized receipt for this payment.

200 baht a day visa is not a good experience and this is the first time I have ever seen it mentioned.

According to the rules it is same as reported: 200 Baht per day up to a maximum of 2000 Baht. One time I had to pay 400 Baht for beeing late 2 days (after the 7-day window).

This is the law:

Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be

punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for

each day which passes until the law is complied with.

As I have said the normal fine has always been a flat 2,000 baht if found on voluntary reporting or 4,000 baht if found during other actions. The 200 baht has never been defined and in English would appear to mean for each day after you have been advised a fine is due until you pay said fine.

Not sure if I read this right but I reckon the OP got away without paying anything. He was expecting the 17 days at 200 Baht a day but the way he describes it as a pleasant experience it doesn't sound like he was hit with a fine and he got his own date changed, as he wanted, at the same time. Happy Days!! :D

Edited by gmac

Not sure if I read this right but I reckon the OP got away without paying anything. He was expecting the 17 days at 200 Baht a day but the way he describes it as a pleasant experience it doesn't sound like he was hit with a fine and he got his own date changed, as he wanted, at the same time. Happy Days!! :D

Yes, that's the way I read it too! :rolleyes:

The way I read it is that the OP was not late and they let him report early to coincide with his Wife's report date.

She was late and should have been fined 2,000 Baht.

He does not make it clear if she was actually fined 3,400 Baht or not.

I understood it he had to pay for his wife , she was 17 days late ..

Guess he's just a happy bloke , even when he's been overcharged like that ..

Being with volunteer tourist police doesn't appear to be very helpful anyways ... :whistling:

Edited by tijnebijn

I now suspect it is indeed that he did not pay and did not know the normal payment is 2k rather than a count of days so the computing was his rather than the immigration officer.

Indeed probably he did , depends on how you read it , thats why he is so happy .... :unsure:

Edited by tijnebijn

Yeah, it looks like the OP did not get fined.

In any case, even if you get fined 2,000 Baht you can't really complain as the maximum allowable fine is 5,000 Baht.

The section in the immigration act detailing the fine structure is as follows:

Section 76 : Any alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section

37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and

with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for each day which passes until

the law is complied with.

The additional 200 Baht/day fine is a bit unclear, maybe some of it is lost in the translation.

Indeed it can be interpreted that you pay 200 Baht/day, only for the days after you got caught, which doesn't really make sense since you would report your address when you got caught (or reported)!

I assume an immigration official would rather interpret it as 200 Baht/day for reporting late counting from the day you should have reported. Much like overstay.

But the fine is for the late report (2,000 baht) - but if you refuse to pay then the 200 baht per day should add on in my view. If it were from date of report due that should be all that is required and one day late would be 200 baht not 2,000 if it worked like overstay.

Sorry if my post confused some people, but you got it right, while the attached slip said fine B200 per day they did not fine her nor did they object to my reporting early so we now have the same reporting day.