Bomb Blast Near Bangkok's King Power Complex Soi Rang Nam

webfact

Another bomb blast at Soi Rang Nam

Second bomb in a month near King Power complex seriously injures a guard

A security guard was seriously injured when a bomb went off at an entrance of King Power building complex on the Soi Rang Nam side late last night, police said.

It was not immediately clear what type of the bomb was used in the second attack in the same area in less than a month, or whether it was thrown or fired at the target.

King Power has strong political connections with the Bhum Jai Thai Party. There was no substantial damage to the building complex during the 11 pm attack but the security guard was said to be seriously injured in the head. He was immediately taken to a hospital.

King Power has made international news over the past two weeks with its takeover of the Leicester City Football Club in the UK. The takeover is awaiting final approval from the British football authorities.

Reports that police have taken one suspect, a man aged between 20-30 for qustioning, could not be immediately confirmed. The area was immediately sealed off. Neither were reports about police attempts to defuse another bomb that did not explode.

On July 30, another explosion occurred some 100-150 metres from the site of the latest attack. In the July incident, a grenade wrapped with rubber bands was planted in a garbage bin. Gasoline drops were used to gradually tear the rubber bands off.

King Power belongs to Vichai Raksriaksorn, close friend of Newin Chidchob, who is the most powerful man in the Bhum Jai Thai Party.

King power has entrances and exits on the Soi Rangnam side as well as on Sri Ayuthaya Rd.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-27

That's the reason why SOE have to be in place. Well done CRES for not lifting it. I believe they saw it coming; I mean more bombing.

SOE can't be very effective then if it has allowed another bomb to go off....you are being sarcastic aren't you?

• Like 1

That's the reason why SOE have to be in place. Well done CRES for not lifting it. I believe they saw it coming; I mean more bombing.

SOE can't be very effective then if it has allowed another bomb to go off....you are being sarcastic aren't you?

Terrorists are difficult to contain - with or without SoE

What I mean is that if there is no SOE, there could be a lot more bombs. With the SOE in place, it reduce it to 2 with 2 injured.

Man seriously injured in Bangkok blast: police

BANGKOK (AFP) -- A man was injured in a second bomb attack at the same central Bangkok location within a month, police said Friday, as the city remains under emergency rule after deadly anti-government protests.

Police said the explosion at 11pm Thursday night at a duty-free shopping outlet on Rangnam Road was just metres away from the site of the previous blast.

The wounded man -- who is in a serious condition in Rajavithi hospital with shrapnel wounds to his head and leg -- is a 23-year-old security guard at the shopping centre.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who is in charge of national security, said it was not clear who was behind the attack, although he said it was aimed at inciting unrest in the Thai capital.

"The only motive for the blast is to create confusion in the country... the situation in Bangkok is still worrisome and those who intended to create unrest are not yet ready to abandon violence," he told reporters.

Suthep said he had instructed police to set up more checkpoints and search people around key government facilities and the homes of senior political figures.

Lieutenant Colonel Krissana Sukanta, chief investigator at the Phayathai police station, said the blast had been caused by a grenade launched from a vantage point nearby.

"No one has been arrested and it still under investigation," he said.

In the previous attack on July 30, a grenade hidden in a plastic rubbish bag injured a Thai man in his 30s who was scavenging for scrap.

That blast came less than a week after a small bomb exploded at a Bangkok bus stop, killing one person and injuring 10 in an attack that rekindled tensions in the capital two months after the end of bloody street protests.

A man linked to the "Red Shirt" demonstrations was arrested over the July 30 explosion.

According to police, the suspect, 23-year-old Sorathien Singkanya, admitted that the grenade belonged to him but had denied planting it himself.

The blasts have threatened to delay the recovery of Thailand's tourism industry, which was shaken by the April and May rallies that left 91 people dead and nearly 1,900 injured in clashes between protesters and the military.

Thursday's attack will be discussed by the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES), which oversees emergency laws still in place in Bangkok and six other provinces in response to the unrest.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-08-27

What I mean is that if there is no SOE, there could be a lot more bombs. With the SOE in place, it reduce it to 2 with 2 injured.

or without the SOE in place there could also be less.... interestingly no bomb reports from where the SOE has been lifted.

There has also been more than 2 bombs since the SOE has been in place....Big C? Phahonyotin?

I feel sorry for the poor guard.

He's just a guy trying to make a living.

It's often the innocent who get hurt in cowardly bomb attacks like this.

What harm has it done to KP? Minimal.

And it's in now way just a Thai thing either. We know terrorist bombings happen all over the world.

They're just cowards focused on their own agendas with no regard for other people's lives.

Security guard wounded in grenade attack at King Power mall

BANGKOK: -- A security guard was seriously injured by a grenade explosion on Rangnam Road near the King Power duty-free shopping complex in central Bangkok, in the latest attack at the shopping centre.

Jetsada Jankrajang, 24-year-old security guard, was sent to Rajavithi Hospital with shrapnel wounds on his head and body.

The explosion occurred at 11pm Thursday night, only a few metres from the site of an earlier grenade blast less than a month ago on July 30.

The police Explosive Ordnance Disposal team (EOD) inspected the area for nearly an hour, inside and outside the shopping complex.

Six glass windows were shattered, and fragments of an M67 grenade were found at the scene, along with minimal damage to the pavement near the gate.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Lt-Gen Santhan Chayanont said there was no confirmation that the explosion was from an M67 grenade, but he believed the assailants wanted to cause problem.

Witnesses said a man riding on a motorcycle had stopped to talk with the victim before the explosion and he was being questioned by the police.

On July 30, an unidentified garbage scavenger was critically wounded when a grenade hidden in a rubbish bin exploded, and remains hospitalised in critical condition.

A suspect named Sorathian Singkanya was arrested for alleged involvement last month's grenade incident but he denied the charges. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-08-27

Until these guys start talking with each other, I see no end to this disruptions.

I would think that if some of the bosses start talking, or appear to be dealing with issues more transparently and in a friendly way or in a less combative language, the foot soldiers will refrain from trying to earn a few stripes by violence.

The Bangkok Guvnor seem to be my most admired politician right now.

Grenade attack meant for disturbance: Suthep

The Soi Rang Nam grenade attack last night was meant for inciting trouble but remained unclear whether it was a politically-motivated incident, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said on Friday.

"From my point of view, the explosion was a disturbance but it was unclear about possible linkage to any political groups," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-27

KingPower is a particularly nasty company. Owned by the government that sets import duties for luxury goods at an impossible 200%.

To then set-up its own company selling designer goods cheaper than any one else can legally afford to.

While I certainly do not condone any act of terrorism one can understand the resentment.

The import duties in this country are painful. I would love to not have to drive a Japanese $hit box. However government officials are the only ones permitted to flaunt these laws.

This could be seen as stance against corruption.

Thailand is not a free market democracy but when the Government go into business and get special treatment it does take the wee wee a bit.

if governments back home did this non of you would stand for it. Perhaps certain people here have had enough.

Bomb hits King Power Complex, injuring one

BANGKOK (NNT) -- A bomb went off at the entrance of the King Power Complex late last night, injuring one security guard.

The explosion took place at 23.30 hrs at the entrance of the complex on Phayathai road, Ratchathevi district, said Police Lieutenant Colonel Kritsana Sukanta, of the Phayathai police station.

A 24-year-old security guard was seriously injured and was taken to Ratchavithi Hospital in a critical condition. Bomb squad cordoned off the entrances to the site of the explosion to facilitate the investigation.

The impact of the bomb explosion shattered six glass windows of the building nearby. Investigators found remnants of M-67 grenade at the blast site. However, Commander of the Metropolitan Police Bureau Police Lieutenant General Santan Chayanon said officials were unable to confirm whether the grenade was of the M-67 type.

According to a bystander, a man was seen riding a black – blue motorcycle pass the Complex twice before the bomb went off. The bike bore no license plate. Police stopped the man for interrogation when he came back for the third time, and found the license plate hidden under the pillion seat. It was later disclosed that the suspect was from Surat Thani. Further investigation is now underway.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-08-27 footer_n.gif

KingPower is a particularly nasty company. Owned by the government that sets import duties for luxury goods at an impossible 200%.

To then set-up its own company selling designer goods cheaper than any one else can legally afford to.

While I certainly do not condone any act of terrorism one can understand the resentment.

The import duties in this country are painful. I would love to not have to drive a Japanese $hit box. However government officials are the only ones permitted to flaunt these laws.

Thailand is not a free market democracy but when the Government go into business and get special treatment it does take the wee wee a bit.

if governments back home did this non of you would stand for it. Perhaps certain people here have had enough.

King Power is not government owned...

• Like 1

Bomb Victim Still Fighting for Life, Explosive ID as M79

The security guard who was seriously injured by the latest bombing that took place at King Power Dutyfree in Ramnam area is still fighting for his life as doctors continue to operate on his brain to find bomb shrapnels. Police have identified the bomb as an M79 grenade which is believed to have been thrown from the vicinity of a nearby hotel.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-08-27

footer_n.gif

What a load of incorrect statements.

1. King Power is NOT owned by the government, it is a private company, publically listed I believe abroad, and granted a license by the AOT to run retail at their locations which was given to them by the TRT govt again at the new airport; they do not a monopoly on selling duty free/bonded warehouse but because they have complete control over the airport space, it is extremely difficult for another retailer like DFS to come into the Thai market.

Import duties on luxury goods range from 5 - 200%+, with most of what King Power sells probably in the range of 15 - 40% at a guess; watches, jewelry, ready to wear, accessories; the luxury brands HAPPILY sell to King Power just as they sell to other duty free operators worldwide.

Luxury brands are quite easily a market ANY entrepreneur can enter into provided they can secure one of the few brands not already represented in Thailand; most luxury brands CHOOSE 1 distributor excluding duty free for each country worldwide.

Government officials in theory have to pay the same amount on cars as everyone else; only Ambassadors and embassies I think get to buy vehicles completely duty free. Your statement is nonsensical in that BMWs and Benz and others are all built here and under the same regulations as the Japanese cars for local assembly; just like everywhere they cost more.

Virtually every country in the world grants monopolies or oligopolies to run duty free at the airport; they are tightly controlled. As I recall, Heathrow is perceived as one thing, but in fact in a past study had the highest prices on average of duty free worldwide, but that was complemented with some of the cheapest highlight items (mostly liquor). While duty free operators don't pay duty, they do pay a concession fee as a proportion of revenue.

Your comment that a bomb injuring an innocent security guard is somehow a stance against corruption is a viewpoint that I find abhorent; deliberately injuring someone in this manner is a cowardly childish act undertaken by someone with a sub standard IQ.

If they believed similarly to your diatribe written above, then perhaps one must question their grasp on reality, and ability to actually learn or understand facts.

• Like 1

Maybe it sounds strange to you, but the import tariffs are set up to protect the Thai.

Be it the Thai factories, the Thai investments, the Thai economy and ultimately the Thai workforce,.

Of course, Thai companies, investors, and workers are benefitting from this protectionism.

And why not?

Because you want something different, cheaper, European, American, the Thai Government should abolish the protection of the Thai?

lowering the tariffs wil automatically mean that Thai factories and trading companies must close, firing thousands of people.

You think that would be a good idea? (in any country?)

Yes, I agree, a lot of possibilities are generated, also the not so nice ones.

But generally speaking this policy means that a lot of people are having a job in the motor industry, for example.

Is that a bad thing?

Next question.

Why is it that so many groups and people claiming to battle for the benefit of the poor, always succeed in making the poor poorer.

Why is it that so many "terrorists" always succeed in killing and wounding the poor people who just try to earn a living, are just a passer-by?

And in the meantime never are able to really hit the big companies.

Like the bombs used after the red shirt protests.

The damage will be paid by the insurance companies resulting in higher premiums which will be claimed back by the customers and less staff, while in the meantime thousands of the workforce were laid off.

Who gets damaged?

Edited by hansnl

1. King Power is NOT owned by the government, it is a private company, publically listed I believe abroad, and granted a license by the AOT to run retail at their locations which was given to them by the TRT govt again at the new airport; they do not a monopoly on selling duty free/bonded warehouse but because they have complete control over the airport space, it is extremely difficult for another retailer like DFS to come into the Thai market.

Import duties on luxury goods range from 5 - 200%+, with most of what King Power sells probably in the range of 15 - 40% at a guess; watches, jewelry, ready to wear, accessories; the luxury brands HAPPILY sell to King Power just as they sell to other duty free operators worldwide.

Luxury brands are quite easily a market ANY entrepreneur can enter into provided they can secure one of the few brands not already represented in Thailand; most luxury brands CHOOSE 1 distributor excluding duty free for each country worldwide.

Government officials in theory have to pay the same amount on cars as everyone else; only Ambassadors and embassies I think get to buy vehicles completely duty free. Your statement is nonsensical in that BMWs and Benz and others are all built here and under the same regulations as the Japanese cars for local assembly; just like everywhere they cost more.

Virtually every country in the world grants monopolies or oligopolies to run duty free at the airport; they are tightly controlled. As I recall, Heathrow is perceived as one thing, but in fact in a past study had the highest prices on average of duty free worldwide, but that was complemented with some of the cheapest highlight items (mostly liquor). While duty free operators don't pay duty, they do pay a concession fee as a proportion of revenue.

Your comment that a bomb injuring an innocent security guard is somehow a stance against corruption is a viewpoint that I find abhorent; deliberately injuring someone in this manner is a cowardly childish act undertaken by someone with a sub standard IQ.

If they believed similarly to your diatribe written above, then perhaps one must question their grasp on reality, and ability to actually learn or understand facts.

I agree with most of your post, but if you think bombers/terrorists have a sub-standard IQ, then you are sadly mistaken. Many terrorists are highly intelligent. They may not care about the lives of other human beings, but that isn't a measure of IQ. We will never get to the root of the problem if you think they are just a bunch of low-IQ people. Terrorists often have genuine grievances and planting bombs is they only way that governments will listen to them. For years in the UK we were told that the IRA were just a bunch of criminals. Now we are told that what they wanted all along is the way forward and some of their supporters are in power.

Edited by w11guy

Bomb Victim Still Fighting for Life, Explosive ID as M79

The security guard who was seriously injured by the latest bombing that took place at King Power Dutyfree in Ramnam area is still fighting for his life as doctors continue to operate on his brain to find bomb shrapnels. Police have identified the bomb as an M79 grenade which is believed to have been thrown from the vicinity of a nearby hotel.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-08-27

footer_n.gif

Just learnt here M79 can be thrown and exploded. Think it was a laucher, rifle like nto a grenade. rolleyes.gif

But once they are caught easier to keep control of.

And that seems to be much of the point.

Give the bombers and others pause to think twice before acting.

Some zealots will act anyway, but many will think twice.

I agree with most of your post, but if you think bombers/terrorists have a sub-standard IQ, then you are sadly mistaken. Many terrorists are highly intelligent. They may not care about the lives of other human beings, but that isn't a measure of IQ. We will never get to the root of the problem if you think they are just a bunch of low-IQ people. Terrorists often have genuine grievances and planting bombs is they only way that governments will listen to them. For years in the UK we were told that the IRA were just a bunch of criminals. Now we are told that what they wanted all along is the way forward and some of their supporters are in power.

I think you will find in this case as with pretty much most of the bombers in Thailand the person that physically placed the bomb is indeed someone with low education, probably a poor understanding of the facts; basically a guy for hire.

The person ultimately dictating who should do what is indeed probably highly educated, and sees the loss of a guard who is currently fighting for his life as completely ok; after all what is one life of someone else, when billions of baht are at risk? The callous treatment of the drug related deaths or the lawyer show the value of human life.

The IRA grievances and the red shirt grievances are wildly different, the leadership structure also very different.

Perhaps a better analogy would be football hooligans; fitting given King Power's involvement with soccer these days.

Maybe it sounds strange to you, but the import tariffs are set up to protect the Thai.

Be it the Thai factories, the Thai investments, the Thai economy and ultimately the Thai workforce,.

Of course, Thai companies, investors, and workers are benefitting from this protectionism.

And why not?

Because you want something different, cheaper, European, American, the Thai Government should abolish the protection of the Thai?

lowering the tariffs wil automatically mean that Thai factories and trading companies must close, firing thousands of people.

But generally speaking this policy means that a lot of people are having a job in the motor industry, for example.

Is that a bad thing?

Next question.

Why is it that so many groups and people claiming to battle for the benefit of the poor, always succeed in making the poor poorer.

Why is it that so many "terrorists" always succeed in killing and wounding the poor people who just try to earn a living, are just a passer-by?

And in the meantime never are able to really hit the big companies.

Like the bombs used after the red shirt protests.

The damage will be paid by the insurance companies resulting in higher premiums which will be claimed back by the customers and less staff, while in the meantime thousands of the workforce were laid off.

Who gets damaged?

"Maybe it sounds strange to you, but the import tariffs are set up to protect the Thai.

And why not?

Is that a bad thing?"

if you think that protectionism is good then fine, but if the world retaliated by doing the same to Thai goods would you believe this to be ok? the Thai economy is massively export led. let us assume Thai goods were placed at a global disadvantage with 200% duties, how many Thai workers would suffer?

Although I agree the KP is not the nicest company here in Thailand I think these attack are politically motivated, just like the selective torching of buildings on the 19th of May. Still wondering why Paragon or Gaysorn Plaza were spared :huh:

Totally correct - most Sociopaths and Psychopaths have very high IQ's but there is a screw loose which is not fixable. Definition is basically no conscience, no remorse, no guilt and no shame. Interestingly the stats quoted in the US are 1:25 are secretly a sociopath/psychopath and you would not know. And there is no cure. The difference between them is one pulls the trigger! So people who use bombs to assert their views or the views of others mostly fall into this category but rest assured the poor bastard on the receiving end of the blast will make no affect whatsoever on the conscience of the bomber.

As to King Power and its monopolies at the airports, its recent airing due to cons being propagated by its staff in conjunction with Police (and others) - I would expect fingers could be pointed in many directions as to who is to blame. It's ownership is irrelevant but it is certainly not a Govt ownership as mentioned by Khun Pui.

Until these guys start talking with each other, I see no end to this disruptions.I would think that if some of the bosses start talking, or appear to be dealing with issues more transparently and in a friendly way or in a less combative language, the foot soldiers will refrain from trying to earn a few stripes by violence.The Bangkok Guvnor seem to be my most admired politician right now.
The Bangkok Guvnor, didn't he who sign the MOU to give Thailand away to Camodia back in 2000.

King Power has strong political connections with the Bhum Jai Thai Party.

Of note is the Red Shirt Couple that fled to Cambodia before getting deported back admitting to their responsibility for the earlier bombing of the Bhum Jai Thai Party headquarters.

Say, they aren't out on bail are they?

How can anything be resolved when Thai politics is a complete cluster-fuc_k? It seems like all politicians in this country are out for themselves. It seems like a complete free-for-all. Whenever something happens, there are so many people/parties to point the finger at, that it only confuses everyone. I used to read the Thai newspapers, but it's too confusing.

It's not just Thailand. This type of politics seems to be the wave of the future. So many agendas, so little money to steal. Corruption has always been part of politics, but there was always enough money left to continur to help the people. It's like bar-tenders. You know they're stealing, you just try to limit how much. Today, nobody's watching them.