Friends & In-Laws

mallyrd

I did not read all of the posts , far too boring a subject , it all boils down to how you personally percieve the treatment and respect you are afforded by the extended family , in many many instances as recorded on these forums it is , in the end , all about monetery gain for the poor family you happened to marry into . It realy has , or should not matter the monetary disparity , they were poor before you and will continue that way as long as you just pour money in and expect little to nothing in return , far better to buy them the means to self sufficiency when they will learn to become proud of their own achievements .

I personaly did not buy or promise to support any-one other than my wife , only when exteranious problems come up do I step in and provide assistance as neccessary , and I decide what that may be as I am supplying the monetary means to alleviate such circumstance . I honor their culture and expect the same in return , this has worked well in the last 5 years .

If the subject is all too boring for you then why did you post?

Had you have bothered to go through the posts you will have seen that the payment to my Mother in-law is in the form of a well deserved pension after having worked for my wife and I as a cook in a bar/restaurant. Mother in-law worked in this position for something like 14 years and we felt she deserved some reward. Also stated in one of my posts I have pointed out that my Mother in-law is married to a retired police officer and how much (or how little) he might give is of no concern and/or interest to me or my wife.

maalyrd yes its a nice story but nothing to write home about , surely you paid her the 14 years she worked for you that is her reward ,and as for no concern or interest in what other money mil recieves well you may find out she actually has more money than yourself or some ferang in thailand................................

Why would I be concerned whether or not she has more money than I do? I would be even less concerned about any other expat having less money than my Mother in-law. Have you ever tried working in a Thai kitchen for 10 hours a day, I don't think so. The money my Mother in-law earned in that period was salary not a reward as you call it, the pension payment as I call it, is Mother in-laws reward for the 14 years hard work. I just wonder if you were ever faced with the need to commit to a monthly payment for medical assistance to keep any of your in-laws alive then what would you do; say sorry, not my style. I truly hope that this would not be the case.

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not read all of the posts , far too boring a subject , it all boils down to how you personally percieve the treatment and respect you are afforded by the extended family , in many many instances as recorded on these forums it is , in the end , all about monetery gain for the poor family you happened to marry into . It realy has , or should not matter the monetary disparity , they were poor before you and will continue that way as long as you just pour money in and expect little to nothing in return , far better to buy them the means to self sufficiency when they will learn to become proud of their own achievements .

I personaly did not buy or promise to support any-one other than my wife , only when exteranious problems come up do I step in and provide assistance as neccessary , and I decide what that may be as I am supplying the monetary means to alleviate such circumstance . I honor their culture and expect the same in return , this has worked well in the last 5 years .

If the subject is all too boring for you then why did you post?

Had you have bothered to go through the posts you will have seen that the payment to my Mother in-law is in the form of a well deserved pension after having worked for my wife and I as a cook in a bar/restaurant. Mother in-law worked in this position for something like 14 years and we felt she deserved some reward. Also stated in one of my posts I have pointed out that my Mother in-law is married to a retired police officer and how much (or how little) he might give is of no concern and/or interest to me or my wife.

maalyrd yes its a nice story but nothing to write home about , surely you paid her the 14 years she worked for you that is her reward ,and as for no concern or interest in what other money mil recieves well you may find out she actually has more money than yourself or some ferang in thailand................................

Why would I be concerned whether or not she has more money than I do? I would be even less concerned about any other expat having less money than my Mother in-law. Have you ever tried working in a Thai kitchen for 10 hours a day, I don't think so. The money my Mother in-law earned in that period was salary not a reward as you call it, the pension payment as I call it, is Mother in-laws reward for the 14 years hard work. I just wonder if you were ever faced with the need to commit to a monthly payment for medical assistance to keep any of your in-laws alive then what would you do; say sorry, not my style. I truly hope that this would not be the case.

would you not feel you had bee n taken for a fool then if it turned out you had been giving someone money for 14 years and all along they had a fair amount stashed away i know i would.

Of coarse this is all based on the idea you are giving money because you think they have no money maybe this is not your reasons as you have already said you dont know what money she recieves or has ............................

This post is in response to OP "taninthai" (as an aside one of my dogs is called tanin)

You need to read some of the earlier posts to understand the durations involved. Mother in-law worked in the bar/restauarant for 14 years for which she received a salary. Six years ago my wife and I decided to close down the business in order for her (my wife) to travel overseas with me on my various work assignments. Mother in-laws pension has been running for 6 years not 14 years and not 18 years as has been stated by others. Mother in-law is not short of a bob or two but what she has is nothing to do with the monthly payment that my wife and I have agreed on.

From all the paranoid, miserly people on this forum it doesn't surprise me that farangs in Thailand have a bad reputation.

It's OK, Ian, we the silent majority will carry on supporting our loved ones.

The Esarn-bashers who just have a one-off experience as trophy farang will continue to slag us.

The good heart has no price.

• Like 1

From all the paranoid, miserly people on this forum it doesn't surprise me that farangs in Thailand have a bad reputation.

It seems to many on TVF there are 2 colours. Black and white.