Where To Buy Lobster At A Good Price

Thunderbird4ever

Western Australia, i do not think there are any cheap or reasonably priced lobster here not where i have looked anyway.

Starting to get expensive in Perth now

http://au.news.yahoo...prices-to-rise/

Yes mate, but still not as expensive as here.

I am in the lucky situation where members of my family dive for lobsters/crayfish.

When in Australia a feed costs me nothing, you cannot beat that price.

I am in the lucky situation where members of my family dive for lobsters/crayfish.

When I'm back in Perth next year I'm available for dinner parties. I've even been known to turn up with a good bottle of White Burgundy or similar...........:wai:

When I'm back in Perth next year I'm available for dinner parties. I've even been known to turn up with a good bottle of White Burgundy or similar...........:wai:

We do not have dinner party's, We usually get together for a barbecue.

Crays done on a barbecue if you know how to do them are delicious

I have only been to one dinner party in my life and it bored me to death.

Houghtons white burgundy is delicious and not expensive.

My son catches them at the Abrolhos.

But I rarely see them.

Edited by Old Croc

I've never tried the local larger lobsters here as they are around 1,300 to 1,500 baht a kg at Rawai Sea Gypsy village. I'm not sure a warm water lobster would have the sweet flavor of a colder water lobsters. And the only part to eat is the tail, but that's the same with Pacific Ocean lobsters in general. Only the cold water Atlantic lobsters have claws. Let me know if you find them for less and how they taste. Good hunting!

My son catches them at the Abrolhos.

But I rarely see them.

The next time you are in Australia visit your son in the Abrolhos islands.

He must be in the cray fishing industry to live there.

Believe me its only special until you can eat as much as you like.

Personally i prefer a feed of of crabs you catch yourself.

I've never tried the local larger lobsters here as they are around 1,300 to 1,500 baht a kg at Rawai Sea Gypsy village. I'm not sure a warm water lobster would have the sweet flavor of a colder water lobsters. And the only part to eat is the tail, but that's the same with Pacific Ocean lobsters in general. Only the cold water Atlantic lobsters have claws. Let me know if you find them for less and how they taste. Good hunting!

I ve had some lobsters here and for sure the taste is not as good as the atlantic ones. Much more flavour in them and as you say, the claws also.

I am not gonna hunt very much around for them as I dont think its much to save. Its a bit strange that they are able to keep it this pricey over here.

I ve had some lobsters here and for sure the taste is not as good as the atlantic ones. Much more flavour in them and as you say, the claws also.

I am not gonna hunt very much around for them as I dont think its much to save. Its a bit strange that they are able to keep it this pricey over here.

If they have claws they are not caught locally, they are imported

They are expensive here because they have been fished out in local waters due to the tourist trade.

The ones caught here are the same as the painted/ tropical crayfish in the North of Australia, you

have to dive for them, they will not go into traps and they take all they can find.

I saw some for sale which were only 8 inches long and they wanted 400 baht for them.

The fresh water prawns sold here taste very similar to lobster/ crayfish if done on a

barbecue and you can buy the large ones for around 300 baht a KG.

They are expensive here because they have been fished out in local waters due to the tourist trade.

The ones caught here are the same as the painted/ tropical crayfish in the North of Australia, you

have to dive for them, they will not go into traps and they take all they can find.

I saw some for sale which were only 8 inches long and they wanted 400 baht for them.

The fresh water prawns sold here taste very similar to lobster/ crayfish if done on a

I was under the impression that all of the "Phuket lobsters" are actually crays. Is that right?

Live imported ones from Canada are around 1000Baht/kg.

WOW thats impressive.. Cos the warm water lobster which I dont rate much at all is same same or close to that !!

Where are these Gerd ?? Might do a special..

Just google Jagota Thailand, they have an office here in Phuket.

Live lobsters are arriving every Friday or Saturday

All the "lobsters" here are actually Painted Crayfish and are nowhere near as flavoursome as a real lobster (with claws).

Frankly, the tiger prawns are tastier and cheaper.

If you really do want to eat crayfish, you can't get cheaper than the fishing port. Failing that, the wet market in Phuket.

I was under the impression that all of the "Phuket lobsters" are actually crays. Is that right?

You are right, lobsters have claws crayfish do not

The crayfish caught by commercial fishermen in Australia is the southern cold water variety.

They are caught in baited pots and are very tasty and are exported live as lobster to Japan,

Hong Kong and other country's.

The northern painted/tropical crayfish will not go into baited pots and are not caught commercially

This is the variety of crayfish sold as lobster here.

He must be in the cray fishing industry to live there.

Personally i prefer a feed of of crabs you catch yourself.

He is. He lives on one of the islands for months every year.

I had an overnight camping trip to the Harvey estaury (near Point Grey) in March.

We collected, and feasted on, our quota of crabs over the two days. :)

This is what a Southern Rock Lobster (aka Crayfish) looks like:

post-18822-093972900 1283056811_thumb.jp

Edited by Old Croc