Htc Desire - Andriod 2.2 - Install Apps To Sd

Wolfie

Ive got a HTC Desire and have applied the OTA update to get Andriod 2.2 - but i cant for the life of me figure out how to install Apps to the SD card. Is it an install option, a setting somewhere? How do i do it?

Ive installed a number of apps/games and none of them are on my SD card, i'm running out of space now and need to remove some :(

In the Application menu item, i saw a 'Move to SD' option - i tried that with some of the apps but they stopped working and i was unable to copy them back to the phone memory :(

As far as I know the application has to have the Move to SD support compiled in which means waiting for an application update if it currently doesn't support it.

"SD-card installation is an optional feature on Android 2.2, is under the control of the developer not the user, and will not affect any applications built prior to Android 2.2."

Android Developers Blog

Also:

"The key limitation is that developers will choose whether or not their app can be installed on external storage. Why would a developer choose not to do so? Froyo's apps2sd solution does not require a specially partitioned sd card, so there is an issue when the phone is connected to another computer and the user mounts the sd card as a mass storage device."

Android Guys

"Unfortunately, Android is not yet smart enough to know which applications will not function correctly on SD Card, so it’s up to user discretion to decide." ;)

Go to the HTC forum at:

, or go the the HTC Community Support one at:

, or, quite simply at the HTC Desire forum at:

//links removed//

I am quite sure you will find an answer to all of your questions, and a solution to all (?) of your "Desire" related problems too!

A reminder of the forum rules about links to other forums:

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations.

i use SDMove (app store, free). it goes through the catalog to figure out which apps can be moved. you don't want to put certain widgets and live wallpaper on the SD card, so it might be best to use an app like SDMove.

SDMove has been updated twice already, so these guys are well aware of the interest in moving apps to the SD card and not mess with your OS.

i use SDMove (app store, free). it goes through the catalog to figure out which apps can be moved. you don't want to put certain widgets and live wallpaper on the SD card, so it might be best to use an app like SDMove.

SDMove has been updated twice already, so these guys are well aware of the interest in moving apps to the SD card and not mess with your OS.

Is my understanding correct that SDMove works only with Android Ver. 2.2 (Froyo)?

And if yes, can we (here in Thailand) already update our HTC Desire to 2.2?

Is my understanding correct that SDMove works only with Android Ver. 2.2 (Froyo)?

Yes, Froyo gives users and developers the ability to safely install apps straight to the SC card (or with an app like SDMove, to move the app after install). and yes, you should long have been able to update to Froyo. do the following:

Settings>About Phone>System software updates>Check now

you should recieve the OTA after checking. you also have the choice of rooting your phone and throwing something like the final release of Cyanogen Mod6. but, with HTC having the beauty of it HTC Sense on Froyo 2.2, i don't see a valid reason to do so.

Edited by anothertorres

I also have the Thai version of the Desire and check regularly to see if the 2.2 update is available for it. So far, doesn't appear to be out yet.

Settings>About Phone>System software updates>Check now

I've been doing that checking every week and decided to check again. To my surprise it is now available for the Thai version so appears it was just recently released. :) Will wait until I get to my office tomorrow where I have a WiFi access point to do the update.

Disregard my previous post. :D

Well, good news. I did check the available updates and indeed, Ver. 2.2 was there and available. I downloaded it (took me about 45 min) and installed it.

BTW, I am in Bangkok and my HTC Desire is an official Thai phone. So far all works fine and I was able to transfer some programs to the SD card. Now I finally can really use the 16 GB SD card they gave me for free when I bought the phone.

Thanks Tywais

I am able to move apps over to the SD card now, well some at least... the Apps on the SD card are not available when its plugged in recharging (and it mounts the SD drive as a HD on the PC) - which makes sense - i was having a blonde moment!

• 2 weeks later...

For the creative ones it's quite easy to have all your apps to be installed on SD card by default.

Install the Android SDK on your pc.

Cd to the folder tools where adb resides.

On the phone: settings / programs / development enable usb troubleshooting.

Connect the phone to your pc

To check current default install locaton:

adb shell pm getInstallLocation

To from now on have all your apps installed on the SD card:

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

Available options:

(0=auto)

(1=phone)

(2=SD card)

Works like a charm :rolleyes:

Normal routines for moving apps between phone and sdcard applies, as mentioned earlier in this thread don't put widgets and wallpapers on the sdcard.

Use Google for more details..................

Regards

Lengis

Edited by lengis