No Id

nellyp

Hi again, I want to buy a car in BKK so I can drive to Sisaket,actually the wife will buy it. Trouble is she has lost her ID card, though we do have a photocopy of it; her passport is also out of date. Do you think she will be able to buy a car with her out of date passport and photocopy ID. We will not have time to do the passport while in BKK and her ID has to be done in Sisaket. What do you think?? any chance either garage or private, second hand either way.

Cheers

all she needs is copy of thai ID card

And Tabain Baan Blue House Book

All you can do is ask wither it will be yes or no. I say no but you may find some one out there that says yes. Tomorrow being Saturday The LTD is not opened till Monday for transfer and registration. Be Careful.

Edited by gotlost

I have never been asked for my actual ID card. I usually come prepared with a copy of my Thai ID and sign it in front of them. They are happy enough not to have to make a copy themselves. Even at the bank and at Immigration for my kids, they never asked for the original. The one exception was when applying for my Thai passport. I had to show them the card, they swiped/scanned the card and it brought up all my info, my picture and a copy of my ID card on the computer screen. They were very careful in comparing the screen to the actual card to make sure it was genuine.

My advice, try it. If they refuse, they lose your business and the next dealer will take your copy and your money.

Good luck.

Why doesn't she just go to the office to get a replacement ID-card? Normally it takes just minutes to issue a new one. And bring the Tabien Baan to apply for the ID-card.

we are in britain at the moment but are coming back to Thailand soon. My missus needs to go back to her village to do the ID so that's out of the question. We have been in britain for nearly 6 years now and her passport ran out while over here. It takes too long to do a passport here as we need to get to thailand ASAP. My wife does not have a Tabien baan as she lived in her mothers house in Thailand.

Cheers

All you can do is ask wither it will be yes or no. I say no but you may find some one out there that says yes. Tomorrow being Saturday The LTD is not opened till Monday for transfer and registration. Be Careful.

How do people with no house buy a car?? Will I need to go to a separate place than the garage to register the car straight away or can I do this by post?

How do people with no house buy a car?? Will I need to go to a separate place than the garage to register the car straight away or can I do this by post?

It seems there's some confusion - the Tabien Ban (blue book) does not identify the house owner (that's what a Chanote is for) - rather it's a register of a house's occupants. Every Thai must be listed on a Tabian Ban, and it's impossible to get a Thai ID card w/out being on a Tabien Ban, so your wife is on one, somewhere..

I suggest that you wait tell you return to Thailand and your wife gets a new replacement ID. She will need her mothers house book for this. She should be in and out of the ID (amphur office) in under 1 hour. At this time go buy a car in her name. The passport she can apply for a new one and should not take more than 7 days sometimes only 3. Registration of vehicles are not done by post in Thailand. If you need transport from BKK to home this can be arranged.

For a new car, it usually takes a few days at least to get everything in order. So you can get the documents while its being processed.

For a second hand car, Thais do things in good faith a lot. See the car you want at the dealer, you can take it out if you give him half the price and a note about when the balance and the correct papers will be delivered.

Or you can hire a car first, then buy later.

Most DLT accept ID card only, cause when entering ID number in DLT computer adress according to Tabien Baan automaticly comes up

In the bad old days she would have had to go all the way back to Sisaket, but that's no longer necessary. Now my wife says any district office can process and replace her ID card. Their computer records and authority cover the whole country.

In the bad old days she would have had to go all the way back to Sisaket, but that's no longer necessary. Now my wife says any district office can process and replace her ID card. Their computer records and authority cover the whole country.

Yes, this is correct. I can replace my ID card anywhere, even though the address is Kanchanaburi. Modern technology is great, isn't it?

As for the Tabien Baan, just get a photo copy of the page with her name on it from her mom's book. You don't need the book itself. Things are a little different around here than they were 6 years ago apparently, much easier to get things done/replaced, etc.

Rereading your question, you shouldn't have any trouble doing all this in 1 day. Get photo done, 15 minutes. Go to ampur's office with photos, copy of ID and tabien baan to get new ID, 1 hour. Go to get new passport with new ID, 1 hour, wait 3-4 days to be mailed. Have lunch, 1 hour. Go find a car and buy it, 2 hours. Done, have dinner and drive happy.

Edited by floridaguy

Yes, this is correct. I can replace my ID card anywhere, even though the address is Kanchanaburi. Modern technology is great, isn't it?

As for the Tabien Baan, just get a photo copy of the page with her name on it from her mom's book. You don't need the book itself. Things are a little different around here than they were 6 years ago apparently, much easier to get things done/replaced, etc.

Rereading your question, you shouldn't have any trouble doing all this in 1 day. Get photo done, 15 minutes. Go to ampur's office with photos, copy of ID and tabien baan to get new ID, 1 hour. Go to get new passport with new ID, 1 hour, wait 3-4 days to be mailed. Have lunch, 1 hour. Go find a car and buy it, 2 hours. Done, have dinner and drive happy.

this is good news. I was going to just get off one plane onto another to Ubon ratchithani arrive hire a car and drive to Sisaket, buy car later. I'm re-thinking that now though as I think I'll have a lot more choice of pickup in BKK