Money Stolen From Your Back Pocket On Soi6

nikkoid66

Last time I got nicked was in Tijuana Mexico. All 3 of us got hit 4 very hot Chiquita's were working our pride & the back pockets got emptied along with a necklace I had on.That was the last back pocket I have had. All pockets (Usually 1) are in front & Velcro'd tight. Anything gets to close to my unit & the red flag is alerted immediately. The last time I got bumped in BKK airport I had a scruffy lad in an armlock & security sorted out the fail attempt. A fool once can happen. 2 times it would be deserving the theft for stupidity.

I don't carry a wallet, but I do sometimes carry a card case (with driver license, one ATM card and my insurance/hospital cards). I carry them in front pockets and not in the same pocket. I guess most thieves would look for the "wallet" lump and target it, but the most they'd get is an ATM card (without the PIN, it's hardly useful).

And, if I'm carrying more than about B5,000, I split it between different pockets. They might get some of it, but chances are they'd not be able to get all my pockets. (I hope!)

And, I would *not* let anybody -- bar girl/boy or kathooey -- hug me! (At least, not in public. :whistling:)

• 1 month later...

I caught a ladyboy with his hand on its way out of my pocket with my phone, usual thing near Asoke BTS, so clobbered him, i felt terrible as it really was just a reflex, i new where i was, it was late,surrounded by hookers, junkies and thieves, and thought to myself if i ever get done over properly here i'd have only myself to blame, and if i was a copper i tell me to piss off and stop moaning.

Almost twenty years ago the ladyboys in Malaysia, on the island of Labuan were doing this. Only they would ask you if you wanted a b-job, 5 ringgit extra for aircon.

Q. What's with aircon? A. They would suck a mint first ha ha ha

Seriously though if you let ladyboys in Thailand, 'motorcycle girls' in Vietnam etc etc get too close you expect to lose something. Even shaking hands with them could cost you your wedding ring (as happend to friend in Saigon, even though he was well street-wise)

My recommendation would be to put your wallet in the front pocket of your jeans and then above it; seal the pocket with a baby's nappy safety pin.

It might sound silly, but it has saved me thousands of baht in anti-pickpocketing on Soi 6, Soi 6/1 and Beach Road after dusk.

I was just about to post the same thing. Works like a charm.

I spend half the year in soi Chaiyapoon, breakfast everyday, chat with many folks, ex-pats, tourists alike and never heard of anyone being pick pocketed or anything like it/.

I agree. Whatever happened to Jingthing was a rare occurence in my opinion.

Edited by Jimmyd

I have to warn you all,at the red lights on Sukhumvit a nud_e girl comes over and pretends to wash your windows ,while someone opens your back door and looks for things to steal.

she got me 4 times on friday and 6 times on saturday, i couldnt see her on sunday but i will try again monday. :whistling:

I spend half the year in soi Chaiyapoon, breakfast everyday, chat with many folks, ex-pats, tourists alike and never heard of anyone being pick pocketed or anything like it/.

I agree. Whatever happened to Jingthing was a rare occurence in my opinion.

I accept that. I don't go to that Soi very often, but most of the time I have gone I have had aggressive sex workers go directly for my pockets. So you can't blame me for drawing the conclusion I did based on my limited personal experience of the place. A weird coincidence perhaps, or maybe they just really like me (and/or I look drunk)!

Edited by Jingthing

The best pick-pocket I never saw ,was in Singapore.

We were waiting outside The Raffles Hotel,we had just come the bar Reception area.

"Taxi ,Gentleman" ,the smartly dressed man hailed a cab ,for some time reason ,I got in at the far door.

As my colleague bent sideways to enter the taxi from the nearside of the hotel ,the smartly dressed checked the window & closed the door.

He even waved to us as we passed.

It wasn't until we were at Orchard Road Shopping Mall ,paying the taxi ,that my colleague noticed he was without his wallet & that when the smartly dressed man had brushed past him to check the car window that had been when the wallet had been lifted .

Needless to say The Raffles Hotel,didn't employ him & he wasn't there when we returned !

Wiley Coyote

It's about time that men, in general, began to realise that carrying 'the wallet in the back/hip pocket' is the worst place to carry i

Everybody should carry one ofthose across the shoulder bags so that their valuables are always in front of them.

Much safer that way.

Across the shoulder bags aren't safe. They can be snatched. The strap can be easily cut. It's also drawing attention to where the valuables are.

Jam a wallet into a deep front pocket and no one will ever get it out.

Putting money in a back pocket is like giving it away. I cannot believe people even consider it.

The best pick-pocket I never saw ,was in Singapore.

We were waiting outside The Raffles Hotel,we had just come the bar Reception area.

"Taxi ,Gentleman" ,the smartly dressed man hailed a cab ,for some time reason ,I got in at the far door.

As my colleague bent sideways to enter the taxi from the nearside of the hotel ,the smartly dressed checked the window & closed the door.

He even waved to us as we passed.

It wasn't until we were at Orchard Road Shopping Mall ,paying the taxi ,that my colleague noticed he was without his wallet & that when the smartly dressed man had brushed past him to check the car window that had been when the wallet had been lifted .

Needless to say The Raffles Hotel,didn't employ him & he wasn't there when we returned !

Wiley Coyote

You've left the most important detail out of your story.

Where was his wallet kept?

Until we find that out we can't give the pick pocket too much credit for skill.

My recommendation would be to put your wallet in the front pocket of your jeans and then above it; seal the pocket with a baby's nappy safety pin.

It might sound silly, but it has saved me thousands of baht in anti-pickpocketing on Soi 6, Soi 6/1 and Beach Road after dusk.

I was just about to post the same thing. Works like a charm.

LOL. Do you guys seriously walk around with a "nappy safety pin" attached to your pocket?

Talk about paranoid. Just jam the wallet in tight and it won't be going anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I stay in this area (chaiyapoon) and although the girls try and coax you in the bars or Massage salons I have never heard or witnessed any pick pocketing going on there, there are a few Katoys along by Pooks on baohkoa that have been known to try it on the very drunk but not in Chaiyapoon.

Sure if you or they are in the wrong place at the wrong time and your excessively drunk then it matters not where you are, in the world in fact but thats life.