Mobile Earphones

Drew Aitch

Hi Forum

I don't know whether I've got unusual ears or what, but those silly little ear pieces that come with mobile phones, never seen to stay in the lugholes. Maybe other folks have just got great big ear apertures where these tinny ear sets can kind of plug in and stay in? I've also never been able to work out why one cord is 3 times the length of the other on these daft inventions.

Anyway, I walk into the mountains quite a bit and often think it would be nice to have a bit of music during these lonely strolls, but I can't seem to get mobile ear pieces to stay in on dry ears let along ones which are dripping with sweat!

So I was just wondering if there are alternatives to these standard earphones, something like a mini headset that might do the trick? I haven't found anything in CM, and perhaps the mobile phone earpieces are the only options to listen to mp3's and podcasts. Btw, my phone is a Samsung.

If anyone, anywhere, in CM, knows of an alternative way to plug into, or modify, a mobile's multimedia system other than the tiny issue headsets, then I'm all ears ;)

Thanks in advance

Aitch

If your Samsung has a standard mini stereo earphone plug you have a choice of many, some superior quality, headphones to choose from. If your Samsung has its own funky kind of earphone plug (like my missus' does), then you're shit outta luck!

Check online for reviews of good quality earbuds, headphones, etc. on some sites like cnet.com or headphones.com. (or possibly headroom.com) and they'll have a wide variety of phones (and prices) to suit your needs. Also, keep in mind that for hot weather wear the earbud type phones are much more comfortable than a set of "over the ear" type phones. At least for walking or hiking as you say.

I can recommend the Grado SR60's (appx. US $75) or SR80's (appx. $90) for a good lightweight "over the ear" quality sounding headphones for listening at home. Many models are available depending on your budget and how "serious" of a listener you are!

Cheers!

iS

If your Samsung has its own funky kind of earphone plug (like my missus' does), then you're shit outta luck!

Thanks for the response guys. Unfortunately, as iSabai says, i have that little Samsung flat plug and not the standard mini jack type :) It was worth asking anyhow, but it looks like I'll most likely have to find a music player with headphone options specific for the purpose of those early morning hikes.

Cheers

Aitch

Aitch

Have you thought about getting some Bluetooth headphones? If your Samsung mobile phone has Bluetooth with A2DP, then you can connect wirelessly to some Bluetooth headphones and listen to your music. Just Google the specifications of your phone and see if it has A2DP. I used to have a Samsung U600 and paired it with some Sony Bluetooth headphones which sounded great (I still use them with my iPhone). I, like you, never got on with those 'ear-bud' type headphones.

Hiker Aitch, greetings,

Actually, no ear device will work during a walk into the hills and mountains here in Thailand. The native magical creatures oppose and disable, as best they can, the use electrical devices. One is forced to listen to the same old birds, the muted damp song of one's boots, and for scrambling and slithering.

Your ears are just fine. In many places, however, electricity is evil, even Mozart in the wood. Rimping's another story.

I've also never been able to work out why one cord is 3 times the length of the other on these daft inventions.

That puzzled me too. But, by putting the long cord behind the neck on its way to the ear, the friction of this setup helps prevent a full-force jerk directly to the ears.

But maybe it's for some other purpose.... dunno

Thanks everyone, there's some more useful suggestions here.

Yes, my phone does have blue-tooth, so that might be something worth looking at. Never thought of that :)

As for buying an iPod, well, i'm not one of those people who's plugged in all that much. You know the types! Usually blokes walking around supermarkets with both ears shut off from the outside world, or cyclists at risk of getting knocked over because they're oblivious to traffic and noise surrounding them as lose themselves in whatever it is they're tuned into.

In fact, having loud music blasting directly into your lug holes when balancing on 2 wheels, center lane, is probably as dangerous as the high school teenager racing through rush hour traffic on the Honda Wave whilst chatting on the mobile phone with 3 giggling girlies on the back and a dog in the basket!

No, i walk up along the road and the only thing i can hear is the panting of my own breath as i gasp for air. I walk into the traffic, as fast as i can, and by heck it's boring sometimes, hence the thought that a bit of music might replace the monotony with momentum for the first half of my daily exercise.

Coming down, i walk through the jungle, and the last thing i want is to listen to music on the decline. It's nice to hear the birds, the rushing water, and the wind as it wisps through the trees. It's easy and enjoyable coming down, and I'm not panting like an old knackered hound, so there is no ennui and pain that needs masking with melody! Therefore, a pricey iPod cannot be justified for my daily walks.

Cheers one an all, and thanks for all the tips ;)

Btw, just before i sign off, does anyone know where i can buy a cheeseburger in Chiang Mai, ha ha lol :)

Aitch

I have a Samsung with the flat connector too. I went to a mobile shop just to the left as you walk in the north doors to the Big C on Hang Dong Road, they had the adapter to convert to 3.5mm headphone jack. I think it was 100or 200b. The also had the USB cable too for 200b, which means I don't have to remove the memory card to change the music.

I use a pair of Shure earphones, I think they call them in ear monitors. I loop the cord over the top of my ears and they fit pretty snug. They come with a bunch of sleeves so you can pick the ones that fit your ears best. They aren't cheap but they do sound great.

post-74695-006900100 1283191430_thumb.jp

agree, sennheiser make some awesome earphones, i have a pair of "ear canal" phones which give a tight fit and deep bass sound my old original ipod headset could never reproduce

sorry Aitch, no idea where in CM to buy, got mine in duty free

I have a Samsung with the flat connector too. I went to a mobile shop just to the left as you walk in the north doors to the Big C on Hang Dong Road, they had the adapter to convert to 3.5mm headphone jack. I think it was 100or 200b. The also had the USB cable too for 200b, which means I don't have to remove the memory card to change the music.

I use a pair of Shure earphones, I think they call them in ear monitors. I loop the cord over the top of my ears and they fit pretty snug. They come with a bunch of sleeves so you can pick the ones that fit your ears best. They aren't cheap but they do sound great.

Good to know MB, thx for that. With the USB cable, does it allow you to download pics from the phone to your computer? Something I'll be on the lookout to get for the missus' phone.

I was hemming and hawing over the Shure phones myself. Very nice and highly rated from what I'd read. Ended up buying a set of Klipsch phones. Haven't tried them yet though, as they're waiting for me in the US when I get there for an upcoming visit.

agree, sennheiser make some awesome earphones, i have a pair of "ear canal" phones which give a tight fit and deep bass sound my old original ipod headset could never reproduce

sorry Aitch, no idea where in CM to buy, got mine in duty free

I'm quite sure I've seen the Sennheisers for sale at the Apple shop (or iBeat or whatever they call them here) here in Phuket. I don't know which exact models they offer, but they are quality phones though not cheap. Had a set for my home stereo back in farangland, awesome sound and extremely comfortable.

Good to know MB, thx for that. With the USB cable, does it allow you to download pics from the phone to your computer? Something I'll be on the lookout to get for the missus' phone.

I was hemming and hawing over the Shure phones myself. Very nice and highly rated from what I'd read. Ended up buying a set of Klipsch phones. Haven't tried them yet though, as they're waiting for me in the US when I get there for an upcoming visit.

The cable came with software you install before you connect the phone. After you install it you can update the software over the net. It is called Samsung studio 3. I haven't been able to connect to their software. It maybe a driver problem, I have not spent any time trying to figure out why it won't connect. I don't know if all Samsung phones are the same but mine gives the option when the USB cable is connected to run the Samsung studio or connect the phone as an external USB drive. I have been using it this way. You can transfer any files, photos or music, whatever but it only lets me access the memory card I put in the phone, not the phone's internal memory. So if you wanted to download a photo you would have to save it to the memory card first.

Edited by MisterBean

I just learned something yesterday.

Some in-ear ear bud type are GREAT. For example the ones that come with cheapo Samsung phones. They look something like this:

dj.jpg

These fit inside your ear and block out ambient noise; good sound, good bass / low tones.

However, some in ear bud type earphones SUCK. For example the ones that come with expensive Apple products. They look something like this:

318pG8W2%2B7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(Avoid those)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

However, some in ear bud type earphones SUCK. For example the ones that come with expensive Apple products. They look something like this:

(Avoid those)

Yes, they're the buggers i've got. I can't even get the bloody things to sit still when i'm motionless. So limping up a mountainside with my gammy leg and slimy sweat oozing out the lug-holes, means there's no chance unless i super-glue 'em in! Other folks much have ear holes like birth canals to get those to ruddy devices to stay put, that's all i can say ;-)

MisterBean that's a great tip, thanks for that. I'll be looking into the adapter, Nice to know about the other quality brands of ear phones too, but as i said previously, i won't be plugged in all that often, so i don't want to go overboard with costly earphones or headsets. Anyway, my acidic seat will probably corrode the sturdiest of models in no time at all, so let's not forget their usage here.

AND TO FINISH WITH A LAUGH

Well it's not really all that funny, but coming down though the jungle this morning, I went arse over tit on the wet slippery rocks (first time ever), and thought I'd broke my frigging wrist. Fortunately, it just got a nasty twist and wallop, and here we are some hours later it's as good as new. I'm just glad a trip to the local sickbay wasn't necessary. Last bloke I knew who went into hospital for an operation on his arm (mate of mine), got given triple heart bypass surgery in error. Needless to say, I try to stay away from the local morgues hospitals, whenever possible ;-)

But I tell ya, I've never seen so much water gushing around them there hills as I have this year, so I think it's going to be road up and road down from now on, just until things dry up a tad. This will mean more music and less birds for a while ;-)

Aitch

I manged to get the phone to connect but not using the software that came with the cable. It might be better to go online to Samsung and download the program for your phone from there rather than using the disk. I bought this phone in Canada and it turns out that it uses a program called New PC Studio. Once I installed it, the phone connected right away.

I am pretty sure you could get some generic version of the in ear type without spending a fortune on a name brand. Once they are in your ear they won't move no matter how much you sweat.

I just learned something yesterday.

Some in-ear ear bud type are GREAT. For example the ones that come with cheapo Samsung phones. They look something like this:

dj.jpg

These fit inside your ear and block out ambient noise; good sound, good bass / low tones.

Yes, much better IMO. There are some mfr's that sell phones with two or three different size rubber ear inserts for differing sized ear canals as well. Even read of folks that will use a different size insert in each ear for maximum sound and comfort.

(Avoid those)

Agreed, these suck. But with so many quality options now available, you no longer need to put up with these "barely adequate" earbuds anymore!