Nimmanhaemin Or City?

ctrunfree

We are returning for another month in CM in late November. Last time we stayed in a good apartment behind Wat Chiang Mun. The only downside was the noise from the guest house next door, particularly the loud TV in the open air lobby (and yes I did ask them politely if they could turn it down- that lasted about half an hour). We had a look at Kantary Hills for this trip, but have heard that there is construction going on at present next door. Can anyone confirm whether this is the case? Are there enough restaurant/cafe/market options in the Nimmanhaemin area to keep us interested for a month, or would we soon be wishing we were closer to town? (I appreciate its only an 80-100 baht tuk tuk ride away).

Nimenhimen is just a little too upscale for me. The west side of the moat does appear to be the most like a very nice college town. While the Mcdonalds on Loi Kroi is the epicenter of foreign tourism in Chiangmai, it is by no means the cultural center. I think near Central Kad San Kaew would be the best of both worlds, and would minimize taxi expenses.

It's generally a noisy city, so that needs to be checked out in person. You could spend 10 million on a house in the highest class Moo Baan, and live 8 meters from a chained up barking dog. Using A/C will drown out a lot of noise.

I have stayed at Kantary Hills for about 4 months this year and I just got back from Chiang Mai just two weeks ago. There is a construction going on just in the corner of Soi 12 and Nimmanhaemin but I never heard any noise from it during my stay (and I have to say that I am very sensitive to noise). There are so many good restaurants in Nimmanhaemin that I very seldom felt the need to go any other area although you can also find some good places to eat in Huay Kaew and Suthep road as well.

Nimenhimen is just a little too upscale for me.

But it's not for you though is it. :)

I'd go with Nimbleheadman as a visitor for a month. Plenty of eateries, coffee shops and bars nowadays and you're away from the tourist tack and the type that tend to make the other part look untidy.

If Nimmanhaemin is within your budget, then I'd say go for it. Construction projects rarely occur at night. It's easy to get 20 baht song thaews in the area during the day and the drivers love the short trips to KSK or the central city. We sometimes attend evening events at the Amari Rincome and have found it difficult to find song thaews after dark, but there are always tuk-tuks around.

Edited by NancyL

I lived at Nimm, it is the yuppie area of CM, with enough food possillities (and so many bakeries!) I left after a month though, because there was a disco or something that made too much noise until 2-3 AM. And I like it really quiet. But many people like the dynamic energy there (galleries, students, 'yuppies')

There are two 7-11 and a Tesco Lotus Express and many nice restaurants in the sois (Italian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese) Also cheaper foodstalls.

I really wouldn't want to stay at the Huay Kauw. It is walkable fm Nimm, and if you want to cut TUK TUK costs, why not rent a motorbike for 2 -2,5 K per month?

It doesn't matter where you live in CM, or Thailand come to that, there are always options for all accommodation types at all budget levels, including watering holes and choice of eateries to suit finances.

If you want to escape the 'Sexy Man' and 'Hello Massage' from every third shop along all main roads and side streets, then I would say move to Nimmanhaemin and enjoy life away from the tourists and tourist touts (all of which are only a stone's throw away should you want them). Btw, West of Nimmanhaemin (past the canal Rd Canal Rd junction), opens up a whole new plethora of eateries and interesting bars away from the usual pack.

Options in the area are The Dome Residence (short walk from Nimmanhaemin), Baan Thai (small studios with TV, Internet, and a nice pool on the third floor) located in Nimmanhaemin Soi 6 at around 6,000 THB/Mo. and a bunch of other hidden treasures in the nearby vicinity, with one being the Punna Residence and the other The Empire, both in Soi 6.

There will be many more options in the sois and sub-sois along Nimmanhaemin, and the fact is that nowhere is very far away in CM, no matter where you reside.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

So far I have only lived inside the moat. (not IN the moat!) and have found it to be pretty awesome. Far enough from the tourists but close enough to get anywhere I need to go inside of 10 mins! I have been considering moving one of my offices and taking a new place right on Singharat Rd but my other option would be Ninamheyman ... It has far more appeal than most other areas of the city.

So far I have only lived inside the moat. (not IN the moat!) and have found it to be pretty awesome. Far enough from the tourists but close enough to get anywhere I need to go inside of 10 mins! I have been considering moving one of my offices and taking a new place right on Singharat Rd but my other option would be Ninamheyman ... It has far more appeal than most other areas of the city.

Well, Nimmanhaemin is the only place for me. But as others have said it depends on what you want. Security is becoming an issue now for a lot of people where ever in CM. So maybe consider that as well. Also traffic is sometimes an issue for us especially if it is in the rainy season as mini floods slow the traffic down . A lot.

Well, Nimmanhaemin is the only place for me. But as others have said it depends on what you want. Security is becoming an issue now for a lot of people where ever in CM. So maybe consider that as well. Also traffic is sometimes an issue for us especially if it is in the rainy season as mini floods slow the traffic down . A lot.

I've managed to live all over Thailand in the last 7 years. Chiang Mai works for me for the foreseeable future! At least until we are ready for a major expansion! So I know I need a house or at the very least a shophouse with an office area downstairs. Security and dealing with rain are things I am familiar with and can cope with easily. I accept the noise inherent with living in a city in Thailand (though the decible level of the frogs at night here may be causing me some hearing problems ;)

When I find the right house/shophouse for an additional office I will make the jump :)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the very useful feedback...I'm now thinking about an apartment in either the Twin Peaks or Peak Gardens condos- can anyone tell me if there is any downside to that location? (I gather there is also some litigation currently going on involving the previous Japanese owners?)

Have lived in Nimmanhaemin area for sixteen years (built there when it still cost a couple hundred thousand for a hundred square wah!) and love it. Great place for convenience, if that is what you are looking for. I'm a big fan of Nimman! - though traffick is admittedly frustrating during rushhours.

• 11 months later...

Just a related question- we ended up in Peak Gardens last year, which was great (Hi Derek) and this year have settled into Kantary Hills for a month a few days ago. Fantastic place, only downside is a thai bar standing in the large parking area between Kantary and the canal road which last night was pumping out loud music till 3am. Anyone know what this place is called (no english signage)? I presume they have 'special connections' to allow them to operate this late?

Kantary Hills is nice, and unlike some other properties on that side of Nimman, it doesn't have a noise problem. At least not out of the ordinary, i.e. there's always some noise in Chiang Mai (or Thailand in general, for that matter, unless you're somewhere out in the forest). We stayed there for a month once and it was great.

Breakfast at this place is OK but nothing to write home about, by the way, so you may want to get a room without if it saves money. Tons of eateries around Nimman, including Smoothie Blues and Bake&Bite for great breakfast.

Nikster sorry to bust your bubble even the forest is noisey, I have stayed at a forest monastary for a couple of months spread over 2 visits. We where in walking distance of two villages and of course they played loud music on ocassion and then the forest noise was very interesting. This wat was about 1 hour from mai hong song on the way to Pai

I stay at Smith Residence on the south side of the city walking distance from Chiang Mai gate and it is very quite for being in the city. You will on ocassion get the odd sound but overall not bad. You could buy from Amazon a white sound generating device which generates white noise and this helps drown out the real thing. A friend of mine has just purchased one here in the states for a neighbors barking dog

Edited by moe666

nimmanhaemin is great. lot of coffee shops and restaurants. from the huay kaew rd. you can take a songthaw to city for 20thb.

edit. and most importantly, when you drink coffee outside terrace in coffee shop, there is nobody selling you flowers, dvd:s, bracelets or begging for money.

nobody harassing you.

Edited by ikis