British Cyclist Alan Bate Shows His Deep Respect For Thailand's King

webfact

HEADLINE MAKER

On two wheels around the world

By Kitinan Sanguansak

The Nation on Sunday

British cyclist Alan Bate shows his deep respect for His Majesty the King's ecological commitments by pedalling around the globe

Alan Bate may look every bit the Westerner but the British cyclist, who recently completed a ride around the world, has a very Thai heart, especially in his love for His Majesty's the King.

The 45-year-old Briton was thrilled to have achieved his goal of completing his journey in tribute to the King, a trip that took him through 18 countries in 113 days and 15:17:09 seconds, the unofficial new record for the global ride.

Amazingly, Bate's love of cycling had not been dented by the ride nor, of course, had his immense love and respect for Thailand's monarch. He grins as he recalls the day he had his first encounter with the sport.

"I discovered cycling when I was 13. I went to watch a bicycle competition and the weather was incredibly misty. All I could see were the headlights of the official car burning through the fog.

"Moments later, the leading group of riders came slowly into the view and then quickly moved pass me. See the riders come in so quickly and so positively left me speechless but at that moment, I knew what I wanted to do. I've now been cycling for 32 years but I still have the same excitement as on that first day.

"I had a successful career as the racing cyclist. My Travelwise team, which has received sponsorship from the British government, raced under a sustainable transport banner, so it's about all environment, ecology as well as people's health.

"It gave me the opportunity not only to race but also deliver positive messages to the people. We used to do roadshows around schools and in business areas to promote green transport and to encourage them to bike or walk to work. We also promoted safety by encouraging children to wear helmets. We tried to be positive model in society, as well as taking part in races," says Bate, who now lives in Chiang Rai.

It was Bate's interests in ecological issues that drew him to the King, who has devoted considerable effort to improving Thailand's environment.

"The Travelwise project covered a range of ecological matters and they were all linked in some way to the royal projects the King has initiated over the last 40 or 50 years. He really cares about people, the environment and sustainability.

"I think it is difficult to find a monarch in any country who cares about issues like that. Here, it is different: the King of Thailand has spent his time helping his subjects and that really impressed me because he chose to put pressure on himself. I really respect him.

For Bate, there was no better way to show that respect than through pedal power though he admits that the trip round the world almost didn't happen.

"It had been in my head for three years. It took a lot of hard work to put the project together including the physical and psychological preparation. The most difficult part was finding financial support and if Singha hadn't stepped in as sponsor, I would have been forced to call the whole thing off.

"I'm already old for an athlete and I don't think physically I could have trained for another year. It would have been too late."

Bate is very grateful to Singha for the support, saying that while the going was tough at time, his six month trip was a drop in the ocean compared to the King's lifelong commitment to his people.

"It's the only way to show how I feel and say 'thank you' to him for what he's done."

A social animal by nature, Bate found the isolation difficult at time, particular in countries that were not quite so hospitable as Thailand. "Finding food wasn't always easy either as I'm vegetarian," he says. And there were plenty of incidents, some less positive than others.

"In LA, I got lost and somebody hit me with a stick on shoulder. In El Paso, someone tried to steal my bicycle outside a shop but I stopped him. It's a dangerous city, full of Latinos who don't have much love for the White American. To be there on the bike as a White, it's a scarring and intimidating experience. I was warned not to go out after dark. There also was a message in the hotel room warning to lock yourself in the room.

"In Alabama, the Black African-predominant state, where there was also not much love for White American. So, pedalling around on bicycle through the city, I looked like a fish came out of water as everyone looked at me. I felt very afraid.

"In Australia, there was an incident with some guys who were drinking. I slept in the tent. They wanted me to come out and fight. That was frightening because my wife was with me.

"But going through Malaysia and southern of Thailand was great as we support team was with me and we had some laughs and enjoyed each other's company.

"Then, when I came back to Thailand, the reception I got first in Chiang Rai made me felt very warm.

"And, all the way to the finish at the Grand Palace was terrific. I was sick for three days with food poisoning but it really didn't matter because I knew people had good feelings for me. That's what drove me on to complete the event."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-29

Before you post

be reminded you have agreed to this forum rule:

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

Thank you

Kudos to the man for following his passion. On the negative side, the way he phrased his comments regarding Americans of mixed ethnic background sounds a bit racist to me.

Maybe he is just saying how he saw it, though I prefer to dwell on the positive, I do understand how he feels. As a proud American (though not in agreement with all the policies of the government) I live in Thailand by choice, I lived in Boston, which is considered a racist city in some aspects, with my black girlfriend and did experience some racism from both blacks and whites. In my time in Thailand iI have found that it is much more accepting society here. When people comment that something is a cliche it often seems to me that it is for a reason and perhaps this is also true for other perceptions. I applaud this man for his feat as a fellow bicycle enthusiast and for my deep respect for his majesty.

• Like 2

Kudos to the man for following his passion.  On the negative side, the way he phrased his comments regarding Americans of mixed ethnic background sounds a bit racist to me.

Maybe he is a racist. Maybe he used different wording or was a little bit pushed by reporter questions to make such statements. Maybe he had also a lot of good stories which it not make it into print.

Otherwise he would be one of the dumbest persons you can imagine.

Kudos to the man for following his passion. On the negative side, the way he phrased his comments regarding Americans of mixed ethnic background sounds a bit racist to me.

He was the one attacked for going through black, Hispanic areas for being white which as we allare aware but are not allowed to mention is a fact in the UK and US, surely ol whitey doesnt now get called being racist for being set upon, or have things really gone that far.

Why didn't he fight the aussies?

Maybe because there were no Australians that actually invited him to fight?

Although this is a wonderful story at its heart, I'm sorry, but I think the comments Mr. Bates made were taken out of context and/or the author of the article has engaged in a bit of poetic license.

Sorry, but I have been in the heart of Birmingham, AL's blackest neighbourhood and I wasn't in fear of my life. Although, I was unable to understand the local dialect, I felt no threat. Likewise for some of the US latino communities. Considering the fact that latinos make up the largest ethnic group in the USA and are one of the most integrated, it is sheer ignorance to make generalized statements about latinos in this manner. Los Angeles has a population of approx 3.7 million and LA county has approx. 9 million. Because one mental deficient allegedly hits someone with a stick is hardly a sound basis upon which to draw the conlusion that latinos hate white americans. It's offensive to say the least. Kids have thrown bottles off of some of the shops on Rat U in Patong. Does this mean that all Thai kids hate tourists? I don't think so. Is this a case of the Nation taking a feel good story and twisting it to show that the light skin vs dark skinned prejudice in Thailand is ok because it is present in the USA? now, The Nation needs to reconsider its ethics.

• Like 1

I' d assume it was the reporter who wrote it up to appear as such drivel. I have also cycled around the world, and had the experience of cycling through both El Paso as well as through Alabama, and as a Caucasian American, was treated wonderfully by Hispanic Americans and Black Americans. I also didn't have any Aussies wanting to fight me outside of my tent. Maybe I just hit a lucky streak.

I grew up with with family friends who had moved here from India. I never new what racism was or that it even existed until I attended University.

On an all too regular basis friends and I were chased by gangs, spat on by ethnic minorities that are now by far the majority in certain areas of town.

Do I feel threatened in the areas of town dominated by ethnic minorities, very much so - I Don't think it's racist to admit that.

113 days of cycling... That really is some mean feat. Hope he had very well padded saddle !

I think the Nation Article was written by an English Student, there does appear to be some artistic license with the quotes.

Really if its someone's job to write for an English language newspaper at least chose someone who can write English at a slightly higher level than this.

I grew up with with family friends who had moved here from India. I never new what racism was or that it even existed until I attended University.

On an all too regular basis friends and I were chased by gangs, spat on by ethnic minorities that are now by far the majority in certain areas of town.

Where is 'here'? Bangkok? London? Grimethorpe?

Really if its someone's job to write for an English language newspaper at least chose someone who can write English at a slightly higher level than this.

Hmmm......

Why didn't he fight the aussies?

Maybe because there were no Australians that actually invited him to fight?

Although this is a wonderful story at its heart, I'm sorry, but I think the comments Mr. Bates made were taken out of context and/or the author of the article has engaged in a bit of poetic license.

Sorry, but I have been in the heart of Birmingham, AL's blackest neighbourhood and I wasn't in fear of my life. Although, I was unable to understand the local dialect, I felt no threat. Likewise for some of the US latino communities. Considering the fact that latinos make up the largest ethnic group in the USA and are one of the most integrated, it is sheer ignorance to make generalized statements about latinos in this manner. Los Angeles has a population of approx 3.7 million and LA county has approx. 9 million. Because one mental deficient allegedly hits someone with a stick is hardly a sound basis upon which to draw the conlusion that latinos hate white americans. It's offensive to say the least. Kids have thrown bottles off of some of the shops on Rat U in Patong. Does this mean that all Thai kids hate tourists? I don't think so. Is this a case of the Nation taking a feel good story and twisting it to show that the light skin vs dark skinned prejudice in Thailand is ok because it is present in the USA? now, The Nation needs to reconsider its ethics.

I guess he (or the journalist, or both) just wanted to "spice up" his journey a bit. Or maybe he's just a prick and pedaling he tends to attract sticks on his shoulders, evil eyes from mexicans and menaces from drunk aussies. Maybe he just wanted to show how safe is thailand compared to "farang countries". A guy who cycles all around the world dedicating his effort to a king (not his king, btw) seems already a bit weird to me. No big wonder then.

• Like 1

"And, all the way to the finish at the Grand Palace was terrific. I was sick for three days with food poisoning but it really didn't matter because I knew people had good feelings for me. That's what drove me on to complete the event."

What a hero......

ทรงพระเจริญ

Long Live His Majesty the King of Thailand!

I think it is awesome that Mr. Alan Bate showed his respect for both His Majesty and the environment in this way. Way to go.

With respect to the controversial comments about ethnic minority communities in the states, I think if we look under the surface, we see that there is a problem of inequality between different groups in the states, with both Hispanic and African American populations being treated often quite harshly by the law for offences fro which Caucasians get off with a "slap on the wrist". I think it would help a lot if more new laws like Proposition 19 came into effect, as most offences are drug offences.

It's still illegal to grow hemp in the states, and we all know how great hemp (cannabis) can be for the environment, right? Cloth, food, fuel, medicine, plastics.

I also read an article recently that said the Thai prison system is vastly overpopulated for a similar reason, ie. inefficient drug policy in accord with the UN rules. MORE than 60000 too many. Reduce that and you reduce crime and the fear it creates. Then maybe we can all enjoy safer communities.

Keep up the great work for the environment and the Kingdom Mr. Bates.

Namaste,

Dylan Haddock