Chains And Maintenance

T_Dog

The pic below shows how my bike has looked on every ride this past week. The month-old HG-53 chain already has loose barrels. (First HG-53 I've tried as I usually use the HG-91 or HG-93. Not impressed with the cheaper chain.) Wondering what folks are doing to keep their chains clean this time of year.

After a muddy ride, I hose the bike off and then bounce it to remove as much water as possible. Once dry, I clean the chain with a dry rag, then with a rag with a WD-40 like lubricant. Wipe it off again and then put on some Finish Line wax-based lubricant. Doesn't seem like I'm getting off all the grit.

post-498-094084000 1283095154_thumb.jpg

during the rainy season i try to get my road bike to the LBS for a thorough cleaning every month or so. failing that i use one of those chain cleaning widgets & before that i used a couple of old tooth brushes. are you cleaning the chain rings as well?

are you letting the finish line lube dry before riding, moving the chain, etc.? i've been told repeatedly by my LBS to make sure its completely "dry" before riding.

during the rainy season i try to get my road bike to the LBS for a thorough cleaning every month or so. failing that i use one of those chain cleaning widgets & before that i used a couple of old tooth brushes. are you cleaning the chain rings as well?

are you letting the finish line lube dry before riding, moving the chain, etc.? i've been told repeatedly by my LBS to make sure its completely "dry" before riding.

I am letting the Finish Line set at least overnight before riding, but never knew that was so important. And yes, I do clean my rings and the bully gears as well. I think it is just plain tough to keep a bike clean during a heavy rainy season like we are having. I like your suggestion about letting the LBS clean the bike.

I'm letting my LBS clean my <road> bike including cleaning the chain and lubing everything once per week. Everyone tells me that I'm getting ripped off because I'm paying them 250 baht per cleaning/lubing, but they do a far better job than I would do if I did the work myself. However even when cleaning at that frequency I often get "click-click-click" sounds coming from my chain after a few days. I drench the chain in oil a few times between each cleaning but still I'm finding it difficult to keep everything running smoothly & quietly in this climate.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I'm letting my LBS clean my <road> bike including cleaning the chain and lubing everything once per week. Everyone tells me that I'm getting ripped off because I'm paying them 250 baht per cleaning/lubing, but they do a far better job than I would do if I did the work myself. However even when cleaning at that frequency I often get "click-click-click" sounds coming from my chain after a few days. I drench the chain in oil a few times between each cleaning but still I'm finding it difficult to keep everything running smoothly & quietly in this climate.

250 baht is a fair price, assuming they are cleaning everything, not just the drivetrain. I pay a little more sometimes but that includes pickup and delivery.

My road bike looks like a mountain bike this time of year (I do have an MTB now, T-Dog). I do my best to clean it after every ride and then re-lube it. I think your problem may be your wax based "lube". I find that those don't work at all in these conditions. During the rainy season I use either "Tri-Flow" or "ProLink"

I use bike hand and fill it with petrol you can buy them in Thailand I first clean the chain using that. Then wipe the chain clean and use Ice Wax 2 I have no problems I don't buy anything below an XT chain(HG-93). Not sure why you pay someone 250baht to clean your bike a new XT chains only 900baht!

I use bike hand and fill it with petrol you can buy them in Thailand I first clean the chain using that. Then wipe the chain clean and use Ice Wax 2 I have no problems I don't buy anything below an XT chain(HG-93). Not sure why you pay someone 250baht to clean your bike a new XT chains only 900baht!

For 250 baht they are basically detailing the bike and making every nook and cranny clean. I think that they charge 100 baht if they are only cleaning and re-oiling the chain. I've heard outrage from expats about the 250 baht expenditure many times before, but strangely enough, if I pay 180 baht for a Guinness in a pub no one complains to be that I'm spending my money incorrectly.

I use red (dry)lube (Finish line)for the dry season and green (wet) lube for the rainy season.

Wax-based lube is not working in Thailand.

Mixing with a WD- 40 is looking for more trouble. Stay with the same kind of oil (teflon based for example).

Clean the new chain before adding the lube.

Add lube "drop by drop" and clean before adding new oil (lube).

Don't use to much oil as it will attract dirt during the wet season and to much dust during the dry season. remember "sand paper".

If you use petrol for a complete cleaning, use water to clean and let it dry before before adding the new oil.

Toothbrush and toothpicks can be used.

Maintenance is discipline, clean after each ride and add lube when needed.

Edited by SomchaiCNX

@el jefe

that's interesting. never had recommendations to change lube for rainy season. what's the difference between dry/waxy lube & Tri-Flow" or "ProLink" that you recommend?

Exactly as Somchai stated.

Otherwise why would there be different lubes?

Or do you think it's all marketing?

Edited by el jefe

Exactly as Somchai stated.

Otherwise why would there be different lubes?

Or do you think it's all marketing?

no idea why there would be different lubes, never even knew there were different lubes (beyond "wet" vs "dry") until that post.

marketing? maybe. 90% of the cycling industry is marketing these days.