Working Restrictions

Andy26

I'm currently teaching without a TEFL certification and have been for over a year now without any problems in getting several different teaching positions.

I am planning to study a MBA however I will need to continue teaching to cover living expenses.

Due to the apparent crackdown on teaching licenses and requirements to get them, what problems if any may come about in the next few years? any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Guest IT Manager

This will sound a bit trite I suppose which I am sorry about, but if you are going to teach, you should get accredited.

There are several places offering it, in Bangkok, CM and I believe, Phuket. Cost is around 1,100 USD, but it is an accepted accreditation apparently. May be worth the 4 weeks or 6 weeks involved, to do it before you start the MBA. It seems to only involve a few hours for I think 6 days per week.

IT

Another option for a TEFL certificate is to do an online course. After almost a year of teaching I did a course with i to i at www.onlinetefl.com. Costs about 200 UK pounds. TEFL certs vary alot and you get what you pay for so this obviously isn't as good as a 6 week course.

I didn't learn a great deal but I'd still recommend it, I think it improved my techniques.

Best thing to do is to look at their website, then click on the form for further information and give them your email address. Leave it a week or 2 then they send an email offerering the course with a slight discount.

Guest IT Manager

Talked to a chappie in CM today doing the course here. The room they learn in sucks, the airconditioning doesn't work, the toilets smell, but his teaching and communications have gone through the roof since I first met him. also he looks quite human now.

If you are interested I will get the details and post them.. :o

Sorry, don't mean to sound negative, but am a bit sus about these internet courses. It seems to have been useful to Eastender and probably quite a few other people and like he said "you get what you paid for". I know it seems like a pain to have to go to classes, but at least you'll be learning some valuable skills. :o