Beer? No Beer? Sometimes Beer?

hanno

So there I was in Bangkok last Saturday on a short break from Cambodia. This being a holiday, I ducked into the next 7-11 to get myself a cold Chang. No joy, with a big notice saying “no alcoholic beverages sold due to elections”. Fair enough I though, law is the law and all that.

Imagine my surprise then when I walked into a Pub a few meters down and saw beers on every table. Asking the waitress she told me that she would be more than happy to serve me a cold one or 10; excellent news indeed.

Onto a Thai restaurant only to once more get the “sorry, no alcohol because of elections” line. I love Thai food, but it tastes just so much with a cold beer, green tea is NO adequate replacement.

Back to the hotel and once more the nectar of the Gods was flowing freely, much to my pleasant surprise. I had to know what was going on here and according to the waitress it all depends on how well the owner of a particular venue is connected with the powers that be.

To cut a long story short: are these “dry days” just a lot of BS that apply to some and not to others? My friend, who works at the Novotel at the airport, told me that this particular law does not apply to them anyway as they are outside of the city???

Some yes and some no it is always that way

Now I understand why I always feel so at home in Thailand, coming from Cambodia :lol: .

BTW, Chang; nectar of the gods... more like the piss of satan

Depends on the quantity ;)

No ma and pa local Chinese shop will refuse to serve you.

Big chains observe the law, but normally a restaurant would be OK.

Yup. Tiny mom and pop places and will always sell, so will many Thai restaurants. It's big places like 7-11, Tesco, Family Mart, tourist restaurants, etc that will obey. As for the hotel outside of the city, the elections were local in Bangkok only not national, so if you're outside the city the ban would not apply as there were no elections