Cheapest Time To Book A Flight Ticket?

sbk

Economist Makoto Watanabe worked out a formula designed to calculate the best time to buy an airline ticket if you're looking for the lowest prices. The answer, according to his forumla: eight weeks before your flight.

If you're not flexible enough to book right at the eight week point, consider fare prediction tools like Bing's Farecast.

article here on lifehacker:

http://lifehacker.com/5625777/the-cheapest-time-to-book-a-flight-is-eight-weeks-before-youre-traveling

This might come in handy since I'm looking to go to Thailand in late 2011. Which time of the year is cheapest to travel to Thailand?

Usually October/November - when it is wettest. Lots of airline deals then.

Your travel ignorance appears to have no bounds !

The wettest time in Thailand is June to September. It was late arriving this year.

Depends how you want to travel. There don't seem to be any real bargains around with the Middle East airlines (I was booking for under £400 last year). EVA fly direct and their 'up to one month stay' prices seem good value - £504 being quoted on their Hot e-fare.

November to February is the most temperate period in central parts (inc Pattaya, Bangkok)

Anytime of the year any Airline can have a special fare. But we all know Dec-Jan is highest (Generally) I guess April also.

Generally I look 6-8weeks before travel if booking with Normal Airline. Under 4 weeks fares go up.

With Low Cost Airlines as far ahead as you want if you see "Economy Promo" etc.

Generally you just have to know normal rates and cheapest fares to the city you want to travel.

The number of days you travel can change the fare

eg. be flexible with days, last year I searched online for Tokyo 5 days and got about18000thb but put in 7 days I got 12400thb.

I keep on file previous fares I have paid and rates with other airlines to compare.

Cheapest to Tokyo I have paid 12400thb incl taxes, most expensive 22000thb.

Edited by LindsayBKK

My 50 satang: I like to book further ahead than 6-8 weeks because --

I save much more on a way-early 3 week car rental reservation than I do on the airfare.

If you stay with the same airline or Star Alliance-type group after 2-3 flights you often have a free ticket which also makes up the difference.

Easier to make appointments with the high-fliers in the USA -- including family -- who need advance notice to deign put me in their schedule.

I am sorry to have to refute your incorrect post but it seems you are unaware that November is the rainiest month of the year for Samui, Phangan etc. The rainy season down south doesn't actually start until October with November being the peak month.

I was referring to mainland Thailand as I assumed the poster was flying UK to Bangkok.

Apologies, that may have been an incorrect assumption but I also doubt that such flights are at their cheapest in Oct/Nov.

I think it has already been pointed out that offers can be promoted at any time, but 6 to 8 weeks before seems to be an optimum time from searches I have made.

Wow!!!

the wet season assessment might arguable be incorrect, but to state the above would be hyperbole to say the least, I mean surely his ignorance must have some bounds? I know mine must have some , though i have not found them yet.rolleyes.gif

I suggest laying of the strong coffee. 55555555555555555555555555555555555555555rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Have been flying here every 2 months for the last 5 or 6 years.

Top of the head answer is that the following are the cheapest times:

May and June

October and November

You might get cheap in the couple of weeks before May and October. Avoid the second half of December and January like the plague.In my view November and early December is the best balance of cheap and good climate for visiting Thailand

Edited by SantiSuk

Wow!!!

the wet season assessment might arguable be incorrect, but to state the above would be hyperbole to say the least, I mean surely his ignorance must have some bounds? I know mine must have some , though i have not found them yet.rolleyes.gif

I suggest laying of the strong coffee. 55555555555555555555555555555555555555555rolleyes.gif

Yep - caffeine overload. :D

(Note to self - put in less whisky)

find a good travel agent. they have fares that are not published on the internet or available from the airline directly. they can also "waitlist" for the fares when soldout. this does not apply to the lowcost carriers like thai air asia....though