Thai Visit

tsocr

I have friends of the family visiting in Dec. This is their pseudo itinerary. They are a young couple in their mid 20's and like to go off the beaten path.

Please let me know what your suggestions would be.

3 weeks in Thailand

Fly into Bangkok on Dec 2. Spend 1 1/2 days in the area

Head to Chiang Mai and explore the Northern country a bit ~5 days?

Heard good things about Pai?

Take a cheap flight to Phuket (spend a day or 2 there) and explore

the beach/ islands from there. What about Fi Fi , Koh Samui, KoTao, Ko Phangnan,

Phangna..........any thoughts on these places?

Fly back to Bangkok ---> home Dec 21.

This is just some brainstorming they have done and would and any ideas you

might have/ great experiences/ "dont go there" suggestions, etc. would be heplful.

Thanks again for all your help!

Tsocr

Why not try the Maekong area maybe take a trip to Laos for a day or two, in the south Koh Dao is a good idea but the nearest airport is Samui & Bangkok Airways Fleece you on the route as they hold a Monopoly on the Bkk route & its a long bus/ferry ride by surface travel so flying Krabi or Phuket maybe better as a point to explore the small islands around there.

Why not try the Maekong area maybe take a trip to Laos for a day or two, in the south Koh Dao is a good idea but the nearest airport is Samui & Bangkok Airways Fleece you on the route as they hold a Monopoly on the Bkk route & its a long bus/ferry ride by surface travel so flying Krabi or Phuket maybe better as a point to explore the small islands around there.

thats a great call about the meakong area, i've spent a great deal of time around there, and if they like travelling they will be fine; in the old days after a while in chaing mai the wife and i hired a motorbike for 2 weeks and headed north, chaing rai, onto the meakong at chaing saen, round the golden triangle and on to mae sai where we went into burma for the day, some great little guesthouses in mae sai with balconys over the small river. the night train to nong khai is a good option too and they could venture into vientiene for a wander.

cheers

Edited by liveforever

After a few days in Phuket, I will suggest that they go by van or taxi to Krabi (Ao Nang) and/or Khao Lak. In Krabi I suggest a visit to my favorite islands which among others are Koh Hong and Koh Phi-Phi and definitely a climb up to Tiger Cave Mountain Temple and a canoing trip deep into the mangrove forest. From Khao Lak they can easily visit the beautiful Similan Islands and go trekking in the beautiful Khao Sok national park.

I did not mention Koh Samui and Koh Tao, as the flight fare to Koh Samui is a rip-off, but if they are not on a budget, they should visit these islands. When in Koh Tao, dont forget to take a day trip to the beautiful Koh Nang Yuan just off the shore.

Edited by Xonax

I would add that 1 1/5 days may not be long enough in Bangkok - depending on their interests of course. Unless they're planning to do BKK at the end of the trip as well before flying home? My vistors like to see the Grand Palace, Wat Po, Floating Market as well as get a feel for the city - skytrain, taxi rides, shopping, Siam Square etc. I would say 2 days at the beginning and the end of the trip at least to suss out the city!