Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Ebook Library

sceadugenga

I'm seriously thinking of buying the new $139 Kindle. Read a review or 5, most recently in BKK Post database. Also on TV CM forum.

Everyone who has one is raving about it. Don't want or need the 3G version, as it doesn't look like LOS will be having 3G anytime soon. Maybe after Burma, is my prediction....:whistling:

About 10,000 free books (copyright expired), the best readability screen-wise, super battery life....

I am a twitch away from dumping the dead tree mode.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard Ulysses G is taking out contracts on people expounding this sort of heresy.

The free books are just that Macca. They are available for download on a number of sites.

I have an iRiver Story, which is very easy to read but more than twice the price of the Kindle. (My Mum bought it for me :rolleyes: ).

You'll have to apply to join our knightly order. It's pretty exclusive though. :whistling:

Edit: You'll get 3G when Thaksin comes back.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy reading and have a small eBook collection going on if people are interested!? Got fed up with trying to find decent 'real' books over here, so decided to invest....

I've got a BeBook Neo which uses Adobe Digital Editions, so all of my eBooks are in 'epub' format (i.e. not compatible with a Kindle). Anyway, PM me if you want a list of what I have available?

Cheers,

Mike

• 3 months later...

Picked up Steig Larsson's Millennium Trilogy today, courtesy of Knight of the eBook Grandmaster Sir lannaman, who never knew he had them. :rolleyes:

Anyone wants them give me a PM. They are in epub format. Probably better to include an email address for ease of sending.

These are the best written thrillers I've read. Real "can't put down" stuff.

Picked up Steig Larsson's Millennium Trilogy today, courtesy of Knight of the eBook Grandmaster Sir lannaman, who never knew he had them. :rolleyes:

Anyone wants them give me a PM. They are in epub format. Probably better to include an email address for ease of sending.

These are the best written thrillers I've read. Real "can't put down" stuff.

G'day Scea

Haven't read the books but have just picked up The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo on dvd.

Will give it a try shortly and maybe post a review.

Regards

Will

I'm afraid to watch the movies, it's not a good idea to read the book first.

I pretty well spoiled The GodFather" by reading the book first, but enjoyed both the book and the movie of "No Country For Old Men" by doing it the other way round.

Plus I've got a mental picture of the girl in TGWTDT that I suspect no actress could do justice to. :(

Edit: ... still if your planning on giving the movie away... B)

For all you people interested in free e-books, this is a good site. Ii has over 30,000+ free books and is, I think Kindle friendly.

www.gutenberg.org

Chang35baht, :wai:

Project Gutenberg site only contains books whose copyright has expired.

Nevertheless, there are some great old classics to be had - stuff by Edgar Alan Poe, Oscar Wilde etc.

• 1 month later...

Some of folks here who read may be interested in this. Note: Only for the adventurous:

"The Nook Color, which was designed mainly for reading books and magazines, is about half the size of an iPad or a Xoom. It weighs about 30% less. It runs on WiFi, but not 3G. It has an absolutely superb screen. And, once you've unlocked the software, it runs many Android applications, from email to news readers TweetDeck to, yes, Angry Birds.

It even, ironically, runs the Kindle app from Barnes & Noble's rival Amazon.com. So I can now use my Nook Color to read Kindle books.

Be aware that you perform this software hack entirely at your own risk. Barnes & Noble says it invalidates your warranty. The process ran smoothly for me, but when I read the Internet chat rooms, I found at least a few people had had problems. If it goes wrong, you're on your own."

Full Article

Some of folks here who read may be interested in this. Note: Only for the adventurous:

"The Nook Color, which was designed mainly for reading books and magazines, is about half the size of an iPad or a Xoom. It weighs about 30% less. It runs on WiFi, but not 3G. It has an absolutely superb screen. And, once you've unlocked the software, it runs many Android applications, from email to news readers TweetDeck to, yes, Angry Birds.

It even, ironically, runs the Kindle app from Barnes & Noble's rival Amazon.com. So I can now use my Nook Color to read Kindle books.

Be aware that you perform this software hack entirely at your own risk. Barnes & Noble says it invalidates your warranty. The process ran smoothly for me, but when I read the Internet chat rooms, I found at least a few people had had problems. If it goes wrong, you're on your own."

Full Article

Thanks for that mate.

I was going to order the Kindle but now I think I'll go for the Nook Color.

Regards

Will

Full Article

Thanks for that mate.

Regards

Will

@Will -If you buy one, and try unlocking it .. be sure and tell us how it worked out. This sounds like a nice product.

Full Article

Thanks for that mate.

Regards

Will

@Will -If you buy one, and try unlocking it .. be sure and tell us how it worked out. This sounds like a nice product.

Mate

I wouldn't unlock or "root" it as they say. I'm not technically savvy enough

for that and wouldn't need the extra features.

After reading your article and researching it a bit, it sounds like it's a nice

bit of gear.

B@N don't ship to Thailand so am looking at a company called "shipito".

Thanks again.

Will

I've been reading about laptop/notebooks with 24 hour battery life, these would be a viable alternative to eBook readers giving travellers other options.

http://apcmag.com/hp...or_notebook.htm

The reviewer sounds a bit sceptical.

The Nook and Nook Colour have a battery life of about 8 hours

The Kindle 3 can run for about 24 hours

My Samsung netbook can do about 7 hours, so nobody is a winner so far.

I enjoy reading and have a small eBook collection going on if people are interested!? Got fed up with trying to find decent 'real' books over here, so decided to invest....

I've got a BeBook Neo which uses Adobe Digital Editions, so all of my eBooks are in 'epub' format (i.e. not compatible with a Kindle). Anyway, PM me if you want a list of what I have available?

Cheers,

Mike

Download Calibre and you can change any format to any other format. I have about 5,000 books for my kindle now

• 1 year later...

I came across the full set of Louis L'amour eBooks this week.

Westerns have lost a lot of their appeal these days but were very popular a few years back with L'amour one of the best writers.

His novels have marvellous descriptions of America in times gone by and many have been made into movies, including the Sackett mini-series.

They are in Mobi and ePub format so will suit most eBook readers.

We have a few cowboys on the forum so I though I would offer them. cool.png

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just finished reading Don Winslow's "The Power of the Dog", a novel of the DEA's war on drugs in Central and South America.

A large book but one of the best I've read for a long time.

I have it in epub/mobi if anyone with a reader is interested and it's easily emailed.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across the full set of Louis L'amour eBooks this week.

Westerns have lost a lot of their appeal these days but were very popular a few years back with L'amour one of the best writers.

His novels have marvellous descriptions of America in times gone by and many have been made into movies, including the Sackett mini-series.

They are in Mobi and ePub format so will suit most eBook readers.

We have a few cowboys on the forum so I though I would offer them. cool.png

I have all of his books, but in paper back. There are just over 100 of them. I like reading real books and about every 10 years I get them out and start reading them again. I also like Zane Grey.

I have a Kindle Fire HD and it's a full computer in addition to having a color screen, black and white Kindle screen, and a sepia screen. I think it's awesome and Amazon has a $40 rebate on them right now I see which would make them about $100 US. I love it. Link

I have about 1,900 books including such things as the complete works of John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, Charles Dickens and many, many others. They are almost 3 gig, and I do have a list of them in Notepad format.

The Fire is a nice piece of kit.

I've upraded to the iPad from my old reader and am 100% satisfied with it.

There are a lot of ebooks around now that you just can't find in hardcopy anymore.

I currently have about 25GB on my hard drive, some are copies in diferent frormats though.

Give me a PM if there is something you've been looking for, you never know your luck.

• 5 months later...

Is there any one who wishes to trade paperbacks. I guess I not current with technology will have to fix that. But I love to read and Chiang Rai corner Nico's doesn't have any thing That I haven't read. I have many books and would like to trade ?

I'm working on sending larger ebooks by email, when I say large, think graphic novels and large illustrated .pdf files.

The problem is that while there are plenty of pay options I don't do it often enough to warrant the cost and the free ones can be difficult

I used onedrive for a while but it's just stopped loading.

Working on MEGA at the moment.

Files are usually between 20 and 200mb.

I have a Kobo Glo reader - actually, two. It reads epub and pdf documents flawlessly. I used to have a Sony eReader (it kacked) and a Kindle - it took a walk-about one night.

One caution on Kindle readers - MOST models will not read epub-format ebooks, seriously restricting your range of books.

Collecting books is simple - on all (most?) of the readers, you setup an account and buy books right from your device. Alternatively, you can buy books from Amazon or thousands of other vendors - or just download them - scads of sources available.

Ask by PM if you want more information on any aspect of readers.

Epub is easily and accurately converted to Kindle/mobi with a free program called Calibre.

I use an iPad which reads virtually any format with the correct app.

The iBooks store, part of the iTunes set up also has many thousands of books, including quite a few free ones.

I like the iPad because of it's many other features, the battery life may not be as good as the Kindle but it still gets me through the day.

• 2 weeks later...

A Kindle was tied to the Mobi format, most of the others use epub which is very quickly and accurately converted to Mobi, and vice versa, using a free program known as Calibre.

Sony readers use something called .lrf format with the books from the Sony store.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived