Pot Luck

scorpio1945

I am thinking our dish this time will be a large bowl of hot mashed potatoes with bacon bits and chives. The wife has settled on a dessert dish of home-made whipped cream with fruit mixed in.

If this interferes with someone else's plans, let us know. We can easily change our selections.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another thought, to go along with Will's suggestion about sharing, giving or trading movies.

Lots of us don't go to bars or expat meetings and therefore, wouldn't be involved in exchanging movies at those places. For that group, maybe it IS a good idea to bring movies to the pot luck. If you want the movie returned to you, mark your name on it. If you don't care if it comes back to you, don't mark it. Each person that takes one or more movies can return it at the next, or a future, pot luck. I will go ahead and bring about 20 movies to the upcoming pot luck. My name will be on some of them but not all. And if a movie that I hope is returned does not come back, I'm not going to be upset about it. After all, everything we want to watch is available out there in other places anyway.

Could do the same with books. I haven't time for reading right now so I don't have any books to contribute nor would I be borrowing any.

Here's another thought, to go along with Will's suggestion about sharing, giving or trading movies.

Lots of us don't go to bars or expat meetings and therefore, wouldn't be involved in exchanging movies at those places. For that group, maybe it IS a good idea to bring movies to the pot luck. If you want the movie returned to you, mark your name on it. If you don't care if it comes back to you, don't mark it. Each person that takes one or more movies can return it at the next, or a future, pot luck. I will go ahead and bring about 20 movies to the upcoming pot luck. My name will be on some of them but not all. And if a movie that I hope is returned does not come back, I'm not going to be upset about it. After all, everything we want to watch is available out there in other places anyway.

Could do the same with books. I haven't time for reading right now so I don't have any books to contribute nor would I be borrowing any.

That's an idea mate.

Not sure if I'll be going so if not, will give a box to someone who is.

Regards

Will

That's an idea mate.

Not sure if I'll be going so if not, will give a box to someone who is.

Regards

Will

Of course, it was your idea to bring the movies to the pot luck, and a good one at that. I'm just trying to garner more interest now.

I've got some stuff I'll drop into Kandahar, there's a very good book on meat curing and smoking that I'll never again use now if anyone wants to book it ahead.

I'd like to see it go to a good home, someone thinking of building a smokehouse perhaps.

Just remember that Peter at Orn's books has provided a good service over the last few years so don't cut him out of the loop completely.

I've got some stuff I'll drop into Kandahar, there's a very good book on meat curing and smoking that I'll never again use now if anyone wants to book it ahead.

I'd like to see it go to a good home, someone thinking of building a smokehouse perhaps.

Just remember that Peter at Orn's books has provided a good service over the last few years so don't cut him out of the loop completely.

Keep a hold of that Meat book KD. I may just give it a try one day.

Yeah, I'll bring along what I have. I very rarely watch a Movie twice.

The third CR Pot Luck Picnic will be held at 12:00 on Sunday, 26 December at the CR Hoticulurian Ressearch Center.

Directions: Going south on old CM road, just past the 5 keystone marker, the entrance is on the right, opposite a large K-Tech sign. As you past the lake bear left and then take the first right. Proceed west? along this road approx. 2 km to the camping area.

There is lots of seating and three small tables but if you have portable/camping chairs you might want to bring them along. Since we have power, a coffee maker would be useful as well. Music has also been suggested.

You are welcome to arrive early for a walk or to look around. If you wish to camp overnight, please call 053.170.100 at least three days before.

Like last time, if you are sure or probably coming it might be useful to post what you are bringing to assist others but is is not necessary. Last minute attendees are most welcome.:jap: The only requirement? is that you bring food (home country prefered) and a smile. :) You should bring your own drinks, glasses and plates but there are usually spares if you forget.B)

The third CR Pot Luck Picnic will be held at 12:00 on Sunday, 26 December at the CR Hoticulurian Ressearch Center.

Directions: Going south on old CM road, just past the 5 keystone marker, the entrance is on the right, opposite a large K-Tech sign. As you past the lake bear left and then take the first right. Proceed west? along this road approx. 2 km to the camping area.

There is lots of seating and three small tables but if you have portable/camping chairs you might want to bring them along. Since we have power, a coffee maker would be useful as well. Music has also been suggested.

You are welcome to arrive early for a walk or to look around. If you wish to camp overnight, please call 053.170.100 at least three days before.

Like last time, if you are sure or probably coming it might be useful to post what you are bringing to assist others but is is not necessary. Last minute attendees are most welcome.:jap: The only requirement? is that you bring food (home country prefered) and a smile. :) You should bring your own drinks, glasses and plates but there are usually spares if you forget.B)

Hi Scorpio!

Suphaphon and I will come,and we will bring this:

Danish Potetos salad-cold-served whit Frikadeller-I think you will call it meatballs-just fried.

Potatoes are a Danish staple, and treated with much respect. The potato is more than filler in Denmark, and a recipe from Denmark expects that you will take the time to prepare something delightful. Wow your friends with this authentic potato salad recipe.

Serves 4

• 2 pounds of boiled potatoes (sliced after they cool down)
  • 2 chopped hardboiled eggs (cooled down)
  • 2 tablespoons fine chopped shallot onions
  • 3-5 fine chopped celery
  • 1 fine chopped cucumber
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar
  • 1 dl heavy cream 38%
  • 2-3 teaspoons salt
  • ½ teaspoon fresh black pepper
  • 3 teaspoons French mustard
  • 2-3 tablespoons vinegar
  • 100 gram Mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice

To put on top

• 1 hardboiled egg
  • 1 tomato
  • Chopped parsley

• Cut the potatoes in small squares, and put them into a big bowl.
  • Add shallot onions, eggs, celery and cucumber to the potatoes.
  • Mix vinegar, cream, salt and pepper, and pour it into the bowl.
  • Wait for 10 minutes and then add the mayonnaise.
  • Place the salad in a cold place for about 1 hour.
  • Add the lemon juice and more salt and pepper if necessary.
  • If the salad seems to dry, add more cream.
  • Before serving ad hardboiled egg, tomato and parsley on top of salad

Thanks to donations by Will27 and Scea, I will be bringing quite the assortment of movies, as well as a decent collection of books for all to go through. Should be a successful movie exchange day with a warm afternoon and lots of sunshine. Looking forward to the meal.

Hi!

We are just coming from the pot Luck-and I must say-it is a long time since,both Suphaphon and I, had such a great day-nice location,and nice people to-good to se some of you in real life.

I had a great day,talking whit people and Suphaphon loved to talk, to the thai women, who was there-really a pleasure.

Thanks to all,for a great day!

brianmarinus.

Hi!

We are just coming from the pot Luck-and I must say-it is a long time since,both Suphaphon and I, had such a great day-nice location,and nice people to-good to se some of you in real life.

I had a great day,talking whit people and Suphaphon loved to talk, to the thai women, who was there-really a pleasure.

Thanks to all,for a great day!

brianmarinus.

Great potato salad you brought. Had a totally new taste.B)

Today we are trying to eat less. After a wonderful Christmas day feast at D.and R's and yesterday's cornocopia of delights at the PotLuck, it was time for a little restraint. There was so much good food yesterday that there were dishes we didn't get round to sampling. The potato and anchovy dish, pumpkin pie, chocolate cake, chicken curry and strawberry and cream confection were among many of the hits. Nice to meet more 'new' people and the added bonus of leaving with the second series of 'Fringe' to watch with some other DVDs.

New people, old friends, a good range of age groups, conversation, nice place, good food and a golden retriever. What else could one ask for? :)

Perhaps one day we will actually get there on time. At least we avoided being digitally captured by Sven and posted in that other thread. ;)

Edited by villagefarang

VF Gotcha :D

Another great day. We missed a few of our previous participants, and you were missed, but we had 10-12 new faces. Depends upon if you count the dog.

I vowed to take only a little of everything but my plate and stomach ran out of room. Although everything again was great, I especially liked Brian's potato salad and Sven's surprise as being very flavorful. Those northern Europeans know their way around a potato. There was also a great meatball dish. And SOOOO many more.

I tried to go back for thirds but some cute lady with big sun glasses did me in with chocolate chip cookies.

Note: I stole a couple of Sven's Pics to supplement mine

post-72121-0-59994200-1293472611_thumb.j

post-72121-0-11252700-1293472622_thumb.j

post-72121-0-43523900-1293472633_thumb.j

post-72121-0-98916100-1293472642_thumb.j

post-72121-0-98312000-1293472652_thumb.j

post-72121-0-48980300-1293472661_thumb.j

post-72121-0-77555900-1293472672_thumb.j

post-72121-0-36099600-1293472680_thumb.j

post-72121-0-28343100-1293472689_thumb.j

post-72121-0-11771200-1293472699_thumb.j

post-72121-0-02995400-1293472806_thumb.j

post-72121-0-22193500-1293472814_thumb.j

post-72121-0-89420900-1293472826_thumb.j

post-72121-0-33451800-1293472841_thumb.j

post-72121-0-10403900-1293472853_thumb.j

post-72121-0-10579800-1293472866_thumb.j

post-72121-0-72733100-1293472879_thumb.j

post-72121-0-62017900-1293472890_thumb.j

post-72121-0-72363100-1293472903_thumb.j

post-72121-0-01541500-1293472921_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

The forth CR Pot Luck Picnic will be held at 12:00 on Sunday, 30 January at the CR Horticultural Research Center.

Like last time, if you are sure or probably coming it might be useful to post what you are bringing to assist others but is is not necessary. Last minute attendees are most welcome.:jap: The only requirement? is that you bring food (home country preferred) and a smile. :) You should bring your own drinks, glasses and plates but there are usually spares if you forget.B)

Still haven't decide what to bring. Thinking about enchiladas. Maybe fruit and whipped cream for dessert?

Will be bringing movies and few books again if anyone wants to dig through them.

Thanks to Scea and Will for a lot of those.

Edited by kandahar

Still haven't decide what to bring. Thinking about enchiladas. Maybe fruit and whipped cream for dessert?

Will be bringing movies and few books again if anyone wants to dig through them.

Thanks to Scea and Will for a lot of those.

Thanks for that mate, not a problem.

Hope people get some enjoyment out of them.

Regards

Will

If anyone is bring their dog along we would like for our Cookie to have somebody to play with.

For those yet to make an appearance at the Pot Luck, don’t be shy. Everyone is really quite welcoming and it is a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

Don’t worry about your cooking skills either. Nothing could be worse than my wife’s “charcoal chip” cookies from last time, and everybody was very polite about it. Any effort will be appreciated. :)

Edited by villagefarang

We won't be there with enchiladas after all. We're both still trying to shake off the remains of stubborn colds. Hope you all have fun.

It's a shame you did not freeze some of that shredded BBQ. Would have stolen it.

Good luck with the cold. Had my turn at the bat twice and still at the tail end of the last one.:ermm:

Edited by scorpio1945

If anyone is bring their dog along we would like for our Cookie to have somebody to play with.

For those yet to make an appearance at the Pot Luck, don’t be shy. Everyone is really quite welcoming and it is a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

Don’t worry about your cooking skills either. Nothing could be worse than my wife’s “charcoal chip” cookies from last time, and everybody was very polite about it. Any effort will be appreciated. :)

I would bring my Siamese cat but Cookie might think she is a cookie.;)