Need English Speaking Tv Channels For 2 Months

gregb

My mother will be visiting from the states in November and December, and I am looking for a way to give her some entertainment to watch while she is here. More than just the news stations. Preferably some variety shows like sitcoms. I don't mind paying for this, but I am hoping for the option of cancelling after the 2 months is over. Beyond that, just the free to air Thai TV stations.

I am in Rangsit, and you can certainly PM me if you have a solution for me that can not be mentioned in a post. However, I am willing to pay any legitimate fees as long as I can get month to month service.

Right now, I have nothing except a small antenna sitting on top of the television.

Any advice is appreciated.

The cheapest I can thank of is UBC/Truevision for about 18,000 baht prepay for 1 year.

If you purchase the equipment from UBC/True you can cancel any time. It used to be about 4,000 baht to buy and 2,000 baht per month gold package. (If the equipment breaks - repair at your cost.)

If your mum comes back next year- just pay 200 baht to reconnect and pay by the month again.

Someone suggested to me that most US broadcasts are actually available in some form on the major networks websites. Surprisingly, this turns out to be true. I was shocked to be honest. Unfortunately, when I try and play any of them, I get a message saying that I am out of area.

Are there services that anyone can recommend, either publicly or via PM that would allow one to get around this problem?

Thanks for any advice here. This could be a workable solution for me if I can find a way to defeat this restriction.

This thread has some good information. In that thread there is mention of some legal, streaming services which might work.

Most major networks in the U.S. have separate licensing/marketing agreements for regions outside the U.S., hence they restrict streaming of their content to IP addresses appearing to be outside the U.S.

TRUEvisions cable and satellite service does have some channels which show U.S. TV shows (like AXN) but these seems to be from previous seasons.

If the OP could tell us exactly what their Mom wants to watch (live, time-shifted, U.S.?), and what facilities and capabilities they have (PC, internet/speed, DVD (USB?), TV (USB?)), I'm sure we might be able to come up with some alternatives.

Maybe review some of the Slingbox threads to see if that is a possibility; maybe having your Mom set that up before she arrives?

This thread has some good information. In that thread there is mention of some legal, streaming services which might work.

Oh....that thread is just too beautiful. JFChandler deserves a big sticky for that one.

The answer was right there towards the end of the thread.

http://www.ustvnow.com

Just supply your social security number and instant access to all the Free To Air USA channels. I've already signed up. Aside from the fact that it consistently seems to crash the Flash player on every Linux browser, it is working fine on IE under a Windows OS.

Now it is just a matter of trying to massage my internet connection into something acceptable. I'm currently on the 3 Mbit True plan. I might have to upgrade that. I've also found some issues on my line, so I might have to try and bribe the technicians to try and find a better pair for me. But this is a great solution, completely free, and completely legit.

They also offer a time delayed DTV service and 20+ more cable channels that you can pay for by the day, week, or month. It's $49 to pay by the month. Steep from my perspective, but probably worth it to my Mom. I can let my Mom decide when she gets here whether she wants that or not. The time difference may prove too much for her after a week or so, so the DTV capability is perfect.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions.

Just supply your social security number

Obviously off-topic, but was there any reticence in divulging your name and social security number?

Wouldn't have been my first choice obviously, but since I wanted the service I had to comply, didn't I? My brother has already had his social security number hijacked twice by illegals working in the US, so I am aware of the risks. However, there are so many institutions with my social security number anyway that one more doesn't raise the risk substantially. Try subscribing to any utility service in the US without supplying it. This isn't really any different. It is a critical piece of information for someone to steal about you, but not necessarily sufficient.

You can alternatively fax or mail them a copy of your passport to prove citizenship if you are really concerned, but this way was immediate.

Wouldn't have been my first choice obviously, but since I wanted the service I had to comply, didn't I? My brother has already had his social security number hijacked twice by illegals working in the US, so I am aware of the risks. However, there are so many institutions with my social security number anyway that one more doesn't raise the risk substantially. Try subscribing to any utility service in the US without supplying it. This isn't really any different. It is a critical piece of information for someone to steal about you, but not necessarily sufficient.

You can alternatively fax or mail them a copy of your passport to prove citizenship if you are really concerned, but this way was immediate.

Understand, just trying to figure out why people divulge the key information needed for identity theft (name, SS#) to completely unknown persons via the internet.

You do realize you are getting a free sample from a company which makes money from providing a paid service? Expecting decent performance for free seems unrealistic. Network bandwidth, for them, is not free.

In any event, ustvnow seems to be a front for Nation Phone & TV so not apparently a disreputable firm? But you should expect that they'll sell your name and SS# to the search providers who then charge for that information (real, name match, alive or dead, etc.).

Edited by lomatopo

• 1 month later...
Just supply your social security number

Obviously off-topic, but was there any reticence in divulging your name and social security number?

Just change your SS# by a few digits on the end... The validator is just looking to match the first 3 digits to a state designation... This can also be used to "Tell a Friend" to add the DVR function ;-)))...