Part 3: Japanese-Thai Language Books

Gaccha

**the book with the crucial phrases that make dialogue possible**

For anyone above intermediate-beginner level who has the patience to translate if they cannot understand the Japanese translations. But it will take a few sentences by me to persuade you on this because of the nature of the English language, so bear with me.

’”まさか”をタイ語で言えますか?’(Publ: Technology Promotion Association)

(210 baht)

(available at Kinokuniya Central-- about 15 copies available... they must know you're coming...)

This book was written owing to the frustration of Japanese learners that they couldn't work out how to express themselves with the language guides available. The title of the book translated to English is "How can I say 'are you serious?' in Japanese?". It has the fantastic bonus of all being on audio.

When you mention a desire to learn regular spoken Thai, English speakers tend to think of slang or casual language or the like, and I think this is because English loves to not repeat itself when pushing an idea. This means English speakers can be quite unaware there is even a concept right in front of their faces. Cynically I might suggest concepts are written in Japanese with one word, in Thai with one word, and in English in 5 words.

Each chapter of this book covers a crucial dialogue tool. Chapter 15 introduces '-すればよかった'/'น่าจะ-'

Through two dialogues (one is 6 lines long) the nuances and variable meanings of these snappy phrases are introduced. Perhaps they are equivalent to the English "It would have been good if" or "wish I had got round to".

Or as another example, ask yourself, how would you say "I went out of my way to"... or "Since I came her I might as well...", the answer is in Chaper 32.

I don't think there is anything for English speakers that deals with this, although I would be happy to be disabused of this notion.

Here is the front cover:

post-60541-057251300 1283427571_thumb.jp

Here are the Ch. 15 dialogues:

15 ƒgƒ‰ƒbƒN 15.mp3

Summary

A rare, possibly unique attempt, to give Thai learners the vocabulary needed for the typical tools of conversation. All on audio.

e.g. Chapter 4 "That would have been good too", Chaper 6 "Well in that case, I don't know" etc.

The book is 120 pages long with 52 very short and sharp chapters. :jap:

------

Here is a link to Part 2

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/394599-part-2-japanese-thai-language-books/