Us Visa Scam?

I appealed for help in filling out the accursed DS-160 and got it. Now might I appeal for the final stage: scheduling an appointment. I have paid for a tourist visa; I have bought a PIN number; I have completed all pages except the final one: Choose a date for interview. There are NO VACANT DATES in sight for the foreseeable future!!! The PIN expires in 90 days. Is this another Bangkok scam run by the US Embassy. I am British and would like to attend my only brother's 65th party in Las Vegas. I have written to the Embassy by post twice - no response; emailed various agencies like The State Dept; The White House; all sites connected with US Embassy in Wireless Rd. NO APPOINTMENTS yet No refunds.

I had the same problem with getting my wife an appointment, I just kept checking back everyday, as many times as I could. I got a little worried myself and emailed the Embassy, no response. But after about 2 or 3 weeks of checking everyday a week opened up. Then I booked the appointment and she had to wait a couple of weeks not long before the appointment, and was approved, we leave next Friday.

Just keep checking, if it is like my situation you will get a date. Just have a little patience, I know it is frustrating I was there too.

Good luck.

Same same but different.

I got the pin number on August 6 and started checking two or three times every day.

The first time I got green dates was August 30 and I booked the first available interview for October 26.

So that would be almost three months between pin and interview.

I harassed them too after a few weeks, no luck with that program.

My advice, sit tight and check it often.

Not a scam, just the way they do it. Keep checking. Pins are cheap, 396 baht as of last week so if you don't get an appointment, you're not out a king's ransom.

But that not the point is it? You have to purchase a PIN to access their system to make an appointment, and then have to jump through hoops to actually use it, the minimal cost is irrelevant

I am at a loss to understand why they make you purchase the PIN anyway, ok their system needs to be funded but it should be costed into the cost of processing the visa application.

Thanks for the replies and advice. For me (& my Thai wife) this is to be the trip of a lifetime. What a stressful and demeaning way to start it; accessing a website many times a day on the off-chance that you might get an appointment in a couple of months time. Have the Embassy Officials never considered that if/when they have finally got us to jump through sufficient hoops, we still have to book airline tickets!

Surely married couples, Thai ladies who have been granted visas to other countries could be fast-tracked thus cutting down this lottery. If we are finally successful this will be the last time I put my wife or myself through this ridiculous and unnecessary process.

Talking to others who have similar views, there will come a point where the US will not have a Tourist Industry. SOM NAM NA.

Thanks for the replies and advice. For me (& my Thai wife) this is to be the trip of a lifetime. What a stressful and demeaning way to start it; accessing a website many times a day on the off-chance that you might get an appointment in a couple of months time. Have the Embassy Officials never considered that if/when they have finally got us to jump through sufficient hoops, we still have to book airline tickets!

Surely married couples, Thai ladies who have been granted visas to other countries could be fast-tracked thus cutting down this lottery. If we are finally successful this will be the last time I put my wife or myself through this ridiculous and unnecessary process.

Talking to others who have similar views, there will come a point where the US will not have a Tourist Industry. SOM NAM NA.

Trip of a lifetime? Oh I get it, you've never been to Vegas

I seriously doubt that if no thais visited the us it would affect anything much. WE have plenty of thais there already (LA has the largest population of Thais outside Thailand)

Blame 9/11 and America wanting to protect america

I seriously doubt that if no thais visited the us it would affect anything much. WE have plenty of thais there already (LA has the largest population of Thais outside Thailand)

Blame 9/11 and America wanting to protect america

Yes, but it's not just Thai people is it, many nationalities have to apply for a visa and, I imagine, have to go through the same difficult and degrading procedure to get a visa.

Even nationalities that don't need visa and can enter on the visa waiver scheme have to apply for electronic travel authority, which which cost $14 from 8th September, apparantly this charge is to finance the tourism advertising.

If the Americans don't want foreign tourists then fine it's their country, just batten down the hatches and let nobody in or out. If they do want to open up the country to tourists, I for one love visiting the US and would love to take my Thai gf there, then don't make the process so difficult and degrading.

PS - the US isn't alone in having a difficult and degrading application system, my own country, The UK, is nearly as bad.

I hear you and agree. It is nothing but a pain to try to get a USA visa for a Thai wife. I know several people who had visa's for their Thai wifes and went several times with no problems then when they needed another visa 10 years later the visa was denied......reason was you might try to retire in the USA and keep u r wife there. Anything to do with the USA Embassy is a pain so i avoid them as much as possible but it is a fact as US Citizens we have to deal with them at times.

Also when u get to the USA sometimes no problems and other times I get demands from immigration that "you should get her a green card". What a pain and an headache.

The US Embassy are not idiots. They know when people are likely to pull a scam and stay there. They probably have means of checking that we haven't a clue about just like that Thai embassies do when they deny some Filipina or red stamp an English teacher

Edited by Hans Brix

I hear you and agree. It is nothing but a pain to try to get a USA visa for a Thai wife. I know several people who had visa's for their Thai wifes and went several times with no problems then when they needed another visa 10 years later the visa was denied......reason was you might try to retire in the USA and keep u r wife there. Anything to do with the USA Embassy is a pain so i avoid them as much as possible but it is a fact as US Citizens we have to deal with them at times.

Also when u get to the USA sometimes no problems and other times I get demands from immigration that "you should get her a green card". What a pain and an headache.

Taken from the US Embassy web site.

NOTICE: A visa is not a guarantee of entry into the United States. Under U.S. law, a visa entitles the bearer to request admission into the U.S., but does not guarantee entry. Persons issued a visa are subject to inspection at the port of entry by officials of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). U.S. Immigration officials at the port of entry have the final authority to permit or deny entry to the U.S.

The US Embassy are not idiots. They know when people are likely to pull a scam and stay there. They probably have means of checking that we haven't a clue about just like that Thai embassies do when they deny some Filipina or red stamp an English teacher

Yes they are idiots. If you read carefully with your finger on the screen whilst moving your lips slowly, you will see I am merely campaigning for a chance to be turned down. I am railing at the ponderous and degrading system that you have to go through even before you get to tread the hallowed ground of the US Embassy in Bangkok. My wife and I live quietly in a little fishing village. We have a house and a car here in Thailand; she has a family who we visit regularly. She has her own long-standing bank account from when she worked sewing sheets/pillow cases and then selling shirts on a market. We have been together nearly four years, two of thm as legitimate man and wife, so what is there to check if we EVER get a vacant date?

Edited by Mario2008
flame removed. please keep it civil. Play the ball, not the man

Is it correct that the US Embassy in Bangkok is not transparent? No it is not. Unfortunately there is very little we can do about their system. So it comes down to this if you want a visa for your wife you are going to have to go around them. You have been given some advise in Post # 12 and Post # 20. I'm aware of the controversy of using a visa agent. In my case in Chiang Mai I used a service next door to the Consulate, cost 6000 baht, 4000 baht went to the consulate and the agent was paid 2000 baht for doing the paper work. For that kind of money I could not be bothered. I know these service cost allot more in Bangkok. Tomorrow is a US Federal holiday and the US Embassy and Consulate will be closed come Tuesday is another story. Go to Chiang Mai, Cambodia or Lao. Where there is a will there is a way.

Yes they are idiots. If you read carefully with your finger on the screen whilst moving your lips slowly, you will see I am merely campaigning for a chance to be turned down. I am railing at the ponderous and degrading system that you have to go through even before you get to tread the hallowed ground of the US Embassy in Bangkok. My wife and I live quietly in a little fishing village. We have a house and a car here in Thailand; she has a family who we visit regularly. She has her own long-standing bank account from when she worked sewing sheets/pillow cases and then selling shirts on a market. We have been together nearly four years, two of thm as legitimate man and wife, so what is there to check if we EVER get a vacant date?

Well you're fortunate that it's your wife going to the interview and not you because with your attitude, you wouldn't have a chance. Hopefully that attitude hasn't rubbed off on your wife and she'll have a chance but getting pissed off and riled up will guarantee a denial of visa

Whether for the OP or for others in a similar predicament, if family get-togethers and other meet-the-Thai-wife occasions with persons living in USA can instead be held in BERMUDA, any Thai citizen gets an automatic 6-month visa for Bermuda no questions asked ... Why? I do not know... An expensive option but for a once-in-a-lifetime occasion maybe worth the price...

Jazzbo, worth knowing but as there are no direct flights to Bermuda you would need to transit via the UK, US or Canada, all of which require Thai nationals to be in possession of a transit visa, which rather defeats the object.

There might be some some routes where a visa is not required, but I'm not aware of any, maybe some of the Gulf airlines..

Those are all quality airlines but would be coming out of the US, UK or Canada I would say although that 1st one listed, I never heard of

with my 1st gf of 7 years, I tried researching this very thing: How to get her to visa free countries for Thais because I knew she would never get approved for a USA visa and I never had any intention of marrying her. After we finally finished, I met the girl of my dreams and we went for the US visa and got it. getting back to my research, it looked extremely difficult to get to my hemisphere with the 1st girl so I scrapped the idea. I probably could have taken her to South Africa but not certain

Edited by Hans Brix

A Thai national would be able to fly to London and then be given (as I last checked) 24 hour transit allowance even if between LHR and Gatwick -- then fly from London to Bermuda -- and Bermuda is easy travel for any persons living in the USA to meet with those flying in from Thailand.

Thailand is UK Visa National country

Do I qualify for transit without visa (TWOV)?

If you are a visa national or a DATV national who is exempt, you can transit without visa if you will:

• arrive at a UK port on a ship and leave on the same ship within 24 hours; or
  • arrive and leave by air within 24 hours and have no intention of staying in the UK (you can travel by rail or road between two airports); and
  • have a confirmed onward booking that will leave within 24 hours of your arrival in the UK.

Edited by jazzbo