Questions About 'Ha'

ChAoS87

Hi my fellow thai learners, one thing I would like to clarify since the question I ask don't seems to be in any dictionary or teaching material I come across. I notice when we go into a shops or address someone elder than us,we use the word 'Pee', but I see many females adding a 'ha' behind. Does this 'ha(rising tone)' only applies to female using, which is equivalent to the 'ka' and 'ha' we often heard from female used or is it a different context whereby males can also use it as well. I also hear male using 'ma-ha(rising tone)' in some conversations. So, I am actually quite puzzled. Someone please help me...

Edited by ChAoS87

ha (rising tone) is a (verbal) variation on kha (rising tone). Used by females only, but these days there are type 1 and type 2 females (the latter generally known in expat English as Lady Boys) who use female endings. I've never heard a straight male use it. Others may have different experiences. I do here the kh in khap (ครับ) so softened that it becomes hap for all intents and purposes.

More explanation from me.

The "ha" is often used by young women and sometimes teen gilrs. IMO, the word also implies the speaker is from educated or upper class. And it has been used only a few decades ago. The "ha"(short vowel) is used by young men and teen boys to sound more polite. It's quite hard to be heard from adults.

I sometimes hear the combination NA(h) HA(h) นะฮะ tacked on the end of sentences. Never really found much info on it in the literature.

There's also the dropped tone version ฮ่ะ which changes things a bit apparently.

Is HA a less formal version of ครับ/คะ/ค่ะ?

It's native speaker time, methinks (which, of course, I'm not). But IMHO na ha (high tone) and haa (rising tone)s I had always taken to be feminine. My ever trustworthy significant other (s/o) informs me that they are, in fact, exclusively the domain of ladyboys (!!!) There is a particle ha (low tone, very short) that is a sign of agreement that is masculine (s/o informs me it is obsolescent--she, unlike me, was born well after the appearance of birds on the earth). All these are vocal, not written words, so I'm not surprised there's not much in dictionaries about them.

hi guys, i found out that the 'ma-ha' means much/abudant/strong. anyone care to elaborate this word มหา

That's a different word from what was being discussed. มหา does mean great or large and is used in many words. มหาวิทยาลัย - university and กรุงเทพมหานคร - Bangkok come to mind.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I sometimes hear the combination NA(h) HA(h) นะฮะ tacked on the end of sentences. Never really found much info on it in the literature.

There's also the dropped tone version ฮ่ะ which changes things a bit apparently.

Is HA a less formal version of ครับ/คะ/ค่ะ?

I think it's a less formal version of ครับ/คะ/ค่ะ. It's sort of like formal but not too formal. :)

• 3 weeks later...