True Visions Pvr Freezing Problems

rixalex

I'm aware that there have been a few threads on the topic of PVR, but i wanted to start a fresh one to see if there is any new information out there.

I got PVR a couple of months ago and on the whole am happy with it. Before buying i had read some people's experiences on here with regards to it occasionally freezing and as such prepared myself for this to happen. It has.

I can live with it - which is good because as far as i can gather, there is nothing that True Visions can do to rectify it - but nevertheless can't help wondering if there are any tips as to how and avoid this problem.

A few of the times when the recording has frozen, it has happened when i was actively using the box - ie watching some live and some recorded programs. This lead me to wonder whether it might be best if possible to leave the system well alone when it is in the business of recording something.It's only a guess but it seems to me there must be a reason why it does it sometimes and not others - could it be to do with something the user is doing at the time?

Failing being able to rectify this problem, it would be great if there was a way to check whether a recording has been successful, besides sitting down and watching through the entire program. Often by the time i get to watching something recorded that has a freezing problem, it is too late to find a repeated showing being aired.

Anyway, and tips or tricks regarding this or any other PVR issues appreciated.

Edited by rixalex

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like a bug in the sw.

If True cannot/will not fix it, try looking for a support site from the

maker of the box. Maybe there is a discussion forum and a sw update

that will help you.

I think even if you are dealing with competent well-trained technicians, fixing problems such as this one, which happens very very occasionally, is very difficult. I don't think being without the box for several weeks or more, and possibly having some untrained out of school teenager stripping it down and doing further damage, is really a risk i want to take. Better to try and find a way of living around the problem. I'll take your advice and search a bit further afield on the internet. Cheers. :jap:

Nope, True cannot or doesn't want to fix the problem.

My advice: Get a Dreambox.

How would this help ?

I have 2 DM boxes both freeze from time to time, one that is used less [in bedroom] freezes often..

Find sometimes my router will freeze, with all unplug and plug back in they work well again, not a lot of help if your out and recording something...

Nope, True cannot or doesn't want to fix the problem.

My advice: Get a Dreambox.

How would this help ?

I have 2 DM boxes both freeze from time to time, one that is used less [in bedroom] freezes often..

Find sometimes my router will freeze, with all unplug and plug back in they work well again, not a lot of help if your out and recording something...

Interesting. You are the first person i've heard mention that this problem also exists with Dreamboxes. Noted. Thanks.

Granted the Dreambox is not perfect. (Is any computer and OS?)

Occasional freezes.

The LAN connection stopped working.

It turned out to be a sw problem cured with a reinstall.

The advantage is that there are a number of sw images out there

that you can choose from. I have settled on PLi Jade.

These packages are still being enhanced and there are very good discussion

forums where you can get advice and offer feedback to the sw developers.

I am not sure companies like Humax are so responsive. :whistling:

Mgcamd is only an add on to support smart cards, not an image.

I have found datastreams can freeze my box.

Star News from the UK is a culprit :bah:

The signal comes in fine, but that is it, the box refuses to switch to any

other channel, or obey the remote or front of box buttons.

A hard reset is the only way out. :angry:

Other channels, no problems.